Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKingkole
im not a noob...im a a doob

Loc: canadiana
Best for beginner?
    #2282179 - 01/28/04 10:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Whats the best kind of mushrooms for the begginer and where can i find some REAL easy teks for growing them?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Best for beginner? [Re: Kingkole]
    #2282262 - 01/28/04 10:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I think oysters by far are the easiest to grow. Most any species of the genus Pleurotus will do for you. They are aggressive colonizers, compete well with contaminants, and fruit over a broad temperature range (temp. drop often not required). There are TEK's all around the interent for growing oysters, just do a google search. I'm sure a search of the Shroomery boards here would yield a lot of information as well.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Best for beginner? [Re: Kingkole]
    #2282636 - 01/29/04 12:55 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Here you can even get an oyster strain for free.

Offlinethenetherworld
journeyman
Re: Best for beginner? [Re: ragadinks]
    #2294892 - 02/02/04 05:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just broke over into the gourmet mushrooms and I have found the oysters to be extremely easy to grow.I havent fruited them yet but they rock through grain, and will colonize straw faster than anything you have ever seen.

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
Re: Best for beginner? [Re: thenetherworld]
    #2294929 - 02/02/04 05:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i just got a petri dish of oyster today... what do you guys think the best spawn is? how long will this mycellium last for?

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Best for beginner? [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #2295214 - 02/02/04 07:34 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

frst off, les't bnot be threadjacking in here.

now, what type of spawn you use will depend on the method of cultivation you go with. figure out how you intend to cultivate them, thy you will get a good answer. grain spawn is usualy ideal, but if you intended to cultivate them, say, on sawdust blocks, this would not work so well.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2295217 - 02/02/04 07:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Agar cultures have lasted over a year and counting for me, under refrigeration and darkness.  If a culture decides to pin/fruit on the agar, then an immediate subculture is probably warranted.

Check out this grow series of P. pulmonarius I began to harvest today.  Fast growers, no temp. drop used.  Just a big ole' trashbag of pasteurized straw inoculated with about a gallon of rye grain spawn.  I'm cookin' some up in just a few minutes.  Yum!

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: Best for beginner? [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2295235 - 02/02/04 07:42 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

where did you put the trashbag? i'm thinking about doing that with my pleurotus osteaus.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2295261 - 02/02/04 07:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fung_us_among_us said:
where did you put the trashbag? i'm thinking about doing that with my pleurotus osteaus.

My grow chamber consists of shelving units encased in plastic, ultrasonic humidifier piped in, humidistat to keep things nice nice, small home HEPA filter on a timer for air exchange, lights on a timer, and wireless temp/hygro meters for monitoring.

--------------------

Edited by Basidiocarp (02/02/04 08:00 PM)

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

#2295323 - 02/02/04 08:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

damn.. that sounds like it'd cost a lot of money. can you think of a nice minimal setup that would provide ok conditions for oysters?

--------------------

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2295343 - 02/02/04 08:09 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

fung_us_among_us said:
damn.. that sounds like it'd cost a lot of money. can you think of a nice minimal setup that would provide ok conditions for oysters?

Please check out all the cultivation FAQ's here on the Shroomery. There is ample information on humidification techniques, terrariums, lighting, etc.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2296276 - 02/03/04 02:23 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

really great pics - love them  :thumbup:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2296282 - 02/03/04 02:25 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have found out that my p.pulmonaris really need a lot of light.
What kind of light do you use ? How long do you put the light on ?

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2296335 - 02/03/04 03:08 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ragadinks said:
I have found out that my p.pulmonaris really need a lot of light.
What kind of light do you use ? How long do you put the light on ?

Oystres need a lot of light, and they are VERY sensitive to excess carbon dioxide.

My chamber is illuminated by two DuroTest Spiralux Vita-Lite bulbs, each 26w/1580 lumens. They provide full solar spectrum with a minnimum of heat generation. They have worked out well for me. I use a standard 12 hours on/12 hours off cycle.

--------------------

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2296338 - 02/03/04 03:15 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Oystres need a lot of light, and they are VERY sensitive to excess carbon dioxide.

yeah, I have realized that. They always grow against the window in my grow/living room and the ones that get the most light develop the biggest caps.

Quote:

My chamber is illuminated by two DuroTest Spiralux Vita-Lite bulbs, each 26w/1580 lumens

woow, I have to remember that in case I will be able to get some space for building a grow room.
How big is your grow room and what is the rate of your air exchange, if I may you ask ?

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2299422 - 02/04/04 01:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ragadinks said:
How big is your grow room and what is the rate of your air exchange, if I may you ask ?

It's not a grow room, just a grow chamber. the pre-fab shelves from home depot are about 2 feet by 1.5 feet.

My fresh air is provided by a small GE home HEPA filter blowing in from the top. It's on a timer so it turns on every 2 hours for 5 minutes (on the medium fan setting). I have no idea how many fresh air exchanges per hour this translates to, but it must be adequate if I can grow oysters without too too much stem elongation (a sign of excess CO2).

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract