Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
Does this casing method sound reasonable?
    #2294465 - 02/02/04 02:58 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have done several grows, but this is to be my first attempt at casing. Does this method sound reasonable... it is pasted together from several different teks. Bottom casing layer will simply be moistened perlite (should I use coir or verm or both or nothing at all?). The substrate being cased is popcorn so that comes next. Then the top will either be straight coir or verm if I can put my hands on some. Anyone got any comments on this?

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGreyStreet
reborn thinker
Loc: Alpha Centuri
Re: Does this casing method sound reasonable? [Re: OmegaRed]
    #2296940 - 02/03/04 10:03 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite on the bottom of your casing will only invite contams. I would just put the substrate on the bottom. If you would like a bottom layer then I would suggest using some verm, to help with moisture.

Hope any of this helps.

--------------------
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
-Gandhi

GreyStreet is a fake character who posts fake information on an internet message board.
-Nothing More-

Offline003
mr. getSome

Loc: Kanata
    #2296974 - 02/03/04 10:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yah, definately don't put perlite in your fruiting container. If you feel it is necessary to have something on the bottom then go with verm, but I've had much success without puttig anything on the bottom.

If you do use coir to case, use it 60/40 with verm and make sure it stays moist as coir dries out easily.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
    #2296975 - 02/03/04 10:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite on the bottom is "all the latest rage" but I can't seem to get enough info on it to be comfortable trying. Be sure that anything you "half-ass" will end up in your garbage.

That said afoaf uses a base layer of moist verm, substrate layer, then a top casing of straight Coir.

Seems to work fine.

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2297007 - 02/03/04 10:29 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite is no more or less sterile than verm. It makes a perfectly *fine* bottom casing layer. In fact, I tend to find that it holds water better than verm does.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Loc: west
Re: Does this casing method sound reasonable? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2297016 - 02/03/04 10:33 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

what is the method of casing when you only have verm and perlite and want the optimum relsults with popcorn

austin

--------------------
a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Does this casing method sound reasonable? [Re: austin_72283]
    #2297053 - 02/03/04 10:52 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

austin - what you want to do is to get the perlite *really* wet (soup like) and nuke it for 5 minutes in the microwave.

Let it cool.

Then just go out and get Jiffy Mix from *any* garden center. Trust me, everyone has it. It is the same stuff as the 60/40 mix people are always talking about here, except it's premade, and already has the pH sorted out too. Just plop some of it in a bowl, get it good and soupy and nuke for 5 minutes.

Get some mini-loaf pans from the grocery store, punch some holes in the bottom (not too big, just enough for excess water to drain) and put down a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the perlite. Then your substrate, and then a 1/2 inch of the Jiffy Mix. Cover it up and stick it in your incubator for 4-5 days, then fruit. (patch if the mycelium starts to look uneven)

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds