Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleHeruuka
 User Gallery
Linux and Internet Privacy
    #2292206 - 02/01/04 05:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Man, i gotta say, i recently switched to RedHat 9.0 from XP and i'm seriously diggin it. Every time i log on i get all nestalgic thinkin about the good old days of Win 3.11 and DOS 6.22 when your computer was still YOUR computer, and not merely an extention of the microsoft network. I love the obvious power and control that you have with linux, but i feel like a child in charge of a missle silo. I honestly dont know jack about the way this works; i dont understand the file system, i dont know how to program, but i figure all these things come in good time. Right now though, i'm concerned. I know that linux has the potential for tight security, but i have no fucking clue whether or not my comp. is completely unprotected. I'm learning fast, from the resources i can find, and i have a pretty solid DOS grounding, but i cant find any really suitable guides to privacy and linux.

I'd like to get some proxy action going and tune up the old firewalls a bit for anymous surfing. I'm not too too worried about the hacker factor, and i think i gotta do this incrimentally so if someone can point my blind ass to a practical guide to internet security on linux that would be grand.

Thanks fellas, paranoia is never unjustified.

H

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineddaedalus
poser

Loc: Canadia
Re: Linux and Internet Privacy [Re: Heruuka]
    #2292283 - 02/01/04 06:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Linux and Internet Privacy [Re: ddaedalus]
    #2292725 - 02/01/04 10:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

As far as security goes, linux is the way!

I'm not remotely interested in windows 2003.. Linux is my next OS.

I once read an article about how programmers at Microsoft actually use Linux to write Windows :smile: 

There are a lot of sites and books on how to secure Linux.  You shouldn't have any problem hardening it up :smile:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Linux and Internet Privacy [Re: Lana]
    #2295899 - 02/02/04 11:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not remotely interested in windows 2003.. Linux is my next OS.

Me too. Right now I dual-boot XP and SuSE (friend gave it to me). I'm still learning linux, but eventually I'll be MS free :thumbup:

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Offlinebogart
handsomestranger

Loc: Uncertain, but I know my ...
Re: Linux and Internet Privacy [Re: Xochitl]
    #2337485 - 02/15/04 01:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

On a stock redhat 9 install, click on the "start" button (the red hat, or K icon or the Gnome foot icon, whatever...) select System Settings > Server Settings > Services . You will be prompted for your root password, then just go through and disable all services you don't need. It will give you a brief description of each service, but RedHat is basically secure out of the box. Just make sure you diable sshd (unless you upgrade, a potential exploit exists in the rh9 version), portmap, rexec, rsync, rlogin, rsh, and telnet. Basically, if you don't need it, don't run it. Oh yeah, and don't run as root, you should have been prompted to make an unprivelidged user account when you installed it.
While I would encourage you to learn about firewalls, you don't really need to worry too much, linux is much more secure than Windows.

Now, that being said, remember that anything being posted in this forum has to travel across the wire from your computer to your ISP's router, to their upstream provider's router, to whatever facility hosts www.shroomery.org, at any point in this stream, your plain text can be seen, and traced back to your IP address. This is just the way the internet works. The solution? Public-key encryption, which is a hassle, but the only way for truly secure communication on the 'net.

As far as learing linux, you're gonna have to read a crapload of books, webpages, and online documentation. try 'apropos' or 'man' on specific commands, and start reading in file:/usr/share/doc/ and at http://www.faqs.org/docs/

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals