Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

how is this for a build?
    #22922248 - 02/19/16 07:58 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

INTEL Core i7 6700K
GTX 970 (any preferences?)
Asus or MSI Z170 motherboard chipset  (which do you think is better)
16GB of DDR 4  (but what one?)
Samsung EVO SSD
700 WATT corsair psu
And a WD black storage drive

What else would I need.  This would be my first build?  Anything I should maybe look at instead?  Or ready built machines around these specs?

Think I'd be set for a while with this with room to improve later?  Whats a good case to put it in?  Anything I am forgetting?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenexxone
HAWK NATION
Male User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: how is this for a build? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #22922326 - 02/19/16 08:44 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

i dont know much about computers, but i think u would want to pick the motherboard that will run the best with your selected video card. also what are u planning on using this for? gaming? and if so what games? if u want the ability to keep adding and whatnot prolly get a larger case, and the only thing u could be forgetting is cooling. i have always wanted to try liquid cooling

--------------------
HAWK NATION

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: how is this for a build? [Re: nexxone]
    #22922572 - 02/19/16 10:37 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Looks solid as fuck all the way around.
RAM I usually prefer Corsair or G.Skill
Asus or MSI mobo flip a coin.. read all the reviews on each board and then decide. They both can be hit or miss so it just depends.
But in general they both make solid boards so pick the one with the best reviews/features.

A good case is a Corsair case. They make some of the better cases on the market and super easy to build with, good cable management, lots of nice little details. Unless you are going with some crazy super elaborate 6k liquid cooling build then there is super high end stuff like Case labs and others. But for your average gaming build, I highly recommend a Corsair case.. they are fantastic. Thermaltake makes some decent ones too now.

If you are getting a Corsair PSU make sure you get a good one, (not a RM / CX series).. get an HX or AX. They are much different in quality and made by different manufacturers.

If you are doing overclocking (which you better with that K processor!) I would recommend getting a ... again.. Corsair all-in-one CPU cooler such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181090
Super easy to install, self-contained watercooling, what more could you want? Nothing. It's your first build.. you aren't building a custom water loop. This thing is perfect for noobs and experienced people alike.

Aside from that you might want maybe want a couple 120mm fans for the case, or some higher static pressure fans for the radiator. 
Also a DVD/Blue-Ray burner/player if you want that. Good idea to have a DVD burner at the least, it's like $15.

Then if you want to get fancy get yourself some Demciflex filters specifically for whatever case you end up getting.. things are amazing and block 98% of the dust from ever getting into your system in the first place. You'll have to dust out your case much less often, just rinse the filters every two weeks or whatever. The filters are custom fit to the openings in the case and are held on magnetically.

then get one of these bad boys so you never have to buy canned air in your life.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: how is this for a build? [Re: Shroomism]
    #22922692 - 02/19/16 11:10 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

If you're doing some serious overclocking, pay way more attention to your motherboard,  needs good heatsinks and felexible UEFI...... Asus ROG, Sabertooth, and Pro lines are all highly overclockable..... I can't really justify more than $200 for a motherboard so I go with the pro.... The Asus Z170-PRO looks pretty adequate to me @ $194.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132640

It may be looking to be more than you want to spend, but if you're buying an unlocked chip, you want to make the most of it.  Corsair case w/ good airflow and a nice Corsair closed loop cooler as mentioned before.... Just get some G. Skill or Corsair RAM, I believe DDR 4 starts off w/ 2100mhz, I wouldn't bother w/ anything pricier, just get the cheapest RAM, and consider the color scheme of your board and shit, I personally go all black.

I'd look up the Corsair PSU on johnnyguru, they're not all as hot as they seem anymore.... I'd sooner get a 660w seasonic with a higher score.....

I'd get a GTX 970 from a brand with decent tech support and solid that speaks English.  I use EVGA.  I'd stay away from Gigabyte, when I had questions from them about a board's bios settings and lack of features it felt like they used Google translate in their response.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: how is this for a build? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #22923294 - 02/19/16 01:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

15vit
8int
21endurance
20strength
12faith
7 luck
plate armor with a claymore

get on my level scrub

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: how is this for a build? [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #22923485 - 02/19/16 02:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

That's the thing.. the AX/HX are made by Seasonic.. or at least used to be unless they changed it. If not I'd recommend Seasonic :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#22925004 - 02/19/16 11:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
Asus or MSI Z170 motherboard chipset  (which do you think is better)
16GB of DDR 4  (but what one?)

Ram can be bottlenecked by other hardware/software. I think you want to match the FSB speed of your motherboard. Its been a while since ive built a computer so maybe someone else can confirm this.

Im sure youre running a 64bit OS so I wouldnt worry about that

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#22925011 - 02/19/16 11:13 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

then get one of these bad boys so you never have to buy canned air in your life.

I started using these years ago and highly recommend :laugh:. Just keep the PSI at 75-80, and I take out the HD to be safe.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Re: how is this for a build? [Re: ManianFH]
    #22925630 - 02/20/16 05:50 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Ok thanks for all the input!  Very much appreciated.  Mindfeeze said maybe I should look at the 980 or 980 ti instead of the 970.  What makes it worth the 300 more dollars? 

also good idea on the water cooler.  does that one have any issues with corrosion or leaking?  I heard people having issues with water coolers in the past.

Quote:

mick said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

I started using these years ago and highly recommend :laugh:. Just keep the PSI at 75-80, and I take out the HD to be safe.

haha I got one but not as nice as that.

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #22925631 - 02/20/16 05:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

As I mentioned on steam chat, in addition to some of the other suggestions people made...

If you have the money, buy a 980 over a 970.  If you want to get the most time out of your system before needing to start dumping money into it then buy the 980.  If you are scraping by and trying to get the performance per dollar then the 970 is a better choice but after about 2 years of games coming out you will for sure start to see frame rate drop and issues where you have to play games on much lower settings to stay smooth, etc. 

The CPU you're picking is up near the top and will last quite a long time for a gaming rig.  When it comes to gaming hardware your video card does most of the real lifting, and as the technology gets better and better and new graphical options and monitors and resolutions become standard your card will fall behind a little more each day.  The 980 will cost a few hundred more, but give you ULTRA performance now, and continue to do so for a much longer time before you decide its time for a new one.

I bought a 680 for my new gaming rig about 3ish, maybe 4 years ago now and I'm just getting to the point where I want a new card.. and not even because i *NEED* a new card, just because its at that point where I can't play every game on ultra everything settings, etc.  Still most games are on pretty high settings, but I don't like to fall to far behind in generations of chips either. 

If you REALLY can afford to spend money, get a 980 TI.  Thats about the uberest you will get without going full on titan or multi-card SLI route.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Re: how is this for a build? [Re: mndfreeze]
    #22925653 - 02/20/16 06:04 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

whats your thoughts on this one HYBRIDti  or is the crosair hydro a better choice.

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22928085 - 02/20/16 08:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well, that is EVGA's second highest overclocked card, and I do love me some watercooling.  If money isn't an issue I'd say go for it, with one caveat.  Maybe do some reviews research on that specific model just to make sure the watercooler lives up to its expectations. 

I have a CPU watercooler similar to that.  A budget watercooler all in one sealed unit.  I didn't have the extra cash to shell out for a proper water cooling setup where you buy water blocks for your cpu, video card, a radiator and a pump, etc.  So instead of a normal heatstink and fan I picked up a 240mm sealed all in one CPU watercooler and it works great.  I have heard though that some of them can be very cheaply built and not work well, or they use a cheap pump for example and it dies after a year or two which is bad news bears.

I think its strange they only watercool one chip on there also, but still have a fan on the other part of the card, which I assume is the memory modules or some voltage regulators.  EVGA *isn't* known for making complete shit though and since that is up there with their flagship products I would imagine they did their engineering research.  As long as the closed system water cooler isn't complete garbage then it should be good to go.

The Corsair one looks sexy also.  Mostly the same from what I can tell so it depends on which you trust more for build quality in my opinion.  Corsair does make good closed sys cpu coolers and its pretty much the same thing just slapped on a video card.  The clock speeds are in the same range as well so I'd imagine the cards will perform mostly identical.

Looks like Corsair uses MSI video cards, and their own cooling options.  EVGA doesn't say who's coolers they use, and I know they dont build any in house so they are buying them from someone else and putting them on their cards. 

I'm on the fence between the two.  I like corsair more for the water cooling system, but I like evga more for the card itself.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22928416 - 02/20/16 11:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

When I was there a couple years back I saw prototypes of the watercooler and I think it was made by EK

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22928434 - 02/20/16 11:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mick said:
Ram can be bottlenecked by other hardware/software. I think you want to match the FSB speed of your motherboard. Its been a while since ive built a computer so maybe someone else can confirm this.

Im sure youre running a 64bit OS so I wouldnt worry about that

FYI not relevant any more.. ever since the X58 series (1st gen i7s)
The memory is not interfaced through the FSB anymore and instead is accessed independently directly through a memory controller integrated into the CPU.
All i5/i7s have an Integrated Memory Controller and the frequency of your RAM is dependent of the CPU. It doesn't need to be matched, if your RAM is too high frequency for your memory controller the CPU will downlock it.. for example if your CPU memory controller operates at 1600Mhz and you put in 1800Mhz RAM it will downlock it to 1600. However you can achieve the higher RAM speeds with overclocking the CPU, and on the newest generation of Intel chips, those can achieve 2100Mhz without any overclocking at all I believe.

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22928614 - 02/21/16 12:53 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

As Shroomism said, ram has its own controller / interface now so on top of all the other stuff mentioned, there is also no real gain to running "faster" clocked memory.  The performance difference you will see going from say, 1600mhz to 1800mhz will be so small that it is pretty much negligible.  Earlier generations of hardware this was not the case, Memory was much slower and systems were built in such a way that you're ram could be a bottleneck of sorts for some stuff.

Now when it comes to ram you want to make sure you buy quality modules, because dead ram sucks no matter how fast or expensive it is, and you want to have enough total ram.  Systems today are memory hoooogggsssssss  16GB is still a great amount to have for a gaming system.  32 is a little over kill but if you are trying to future proof your system the most to stave off upgrades for a longer period of time then it wont hurt to get the extra.  If I was building a new system now I would probably spend the extra money to just get 32GB of a decent brand like G.skill ripjaws or something, but not their crazy super high end speed stuff. 

Check this article out on PC Gamer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-build-guide-high-end-gaming-pc/

You will see they make the same sort of recommendations in their memory section of the build, as well as link an article on anandtech (great site btw) with more info. 

I normally use tomshardware.com and anandtech.com as my primary sites to quickly look up some hardware or benchmarks, as well as really nicely done guides which are especially good if you dont follow hardware changes on a regular basis.  Last time I paid attention to hardware before my current machine I built 3 years ago, was about 7 years before so pretty much EVERYTHING changed in that time and I had to learn about it all before building my box.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22930816 - 02/21/16 04:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah that's a good point.. but in terms of the memory speed who the fuck knows now with DDR4.
It used to be with DDR3, I couldn't tell a single difference between 1600Mhz and 1866Mhz or whatever.. you might see the slightest tiniest perception of a difference in super heavy multitasking.
But now I'm seeing people getting up to 2400Mhz with ease with DDR4 and I gotta wonder. There's gotta be some difference. DDR4 is also much faster than DDR3.
Also with DDR4, the max theoretical potential is now 512GB :aweoverdose:

But yeah.. totally agreed overall on the RAM part, higher frequencies are kinda unnecessary,
and I would agree with 32GB for future proofing. 16GB is "enough" for now.. for a gaming system. But I would prefer to have more if I was building a new system right now.

Either way you slice it though, a modern intel chip + DDR4 + SSD = ungodly speed

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22930850 - 02/21/16 05:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
whats your thoughts on this one HYBRIDti  or is the crosair hydro a better choice.

That is a very good card if you have the money to throw at it, and as your graphics card is the heart of your gaming system.. it makes sense if you want the "top of the line" right now, that will perform well for years to come.
It has the 6GB of memory so VRAM will not be an issue at all in the foreseeable future even if you decide to go with 4k or 5k monitors.
Which is really what you want if you ever decide to go with super high resolution monitors, or want to play any games in 3D surround across 3/4 monitors.. you want that super powerful GPU and shit tons of VRAM.

Basically that card is like the Ferrari or Lamborghini of video cards right now. If you want the Koenigsegg one:1 then get the Titan X or Titan Black

--------------------

#25228922 - 05/25/18 10:04 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

after 2 years I got my build together.
    MSI Z370-A PRO CROSSIFRE SATA 6 USB 3.1 LGA 1151 M.2 
    800 WATT 80 PLUS POWER SUPPLY                         
    MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 AERO 8G OC GDDR5X 
    I7-8700K 3.70GHZ 12MB INTEL SMART CACH
    500GB WD BLUE SSD 2.5" SATAIII 6.0 GB/s
    2TB HDD 3.5" SATAIII 7200RPM 6.0 GB/s 64MB CACHE
    ADATA 8GB DDR4-3000 XPG Z1 MEMORY x2 I feel like I should double this since i still max it out sometimes...
  and a cpu watercooler. 

still need a cooler for my card I guess?  Overclocked to 4.3  Not sure if I should go higher since it seems to crash the tests above that.  Any techy things i should do to this to tune it up or make it better?

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25229263 - 05/26/18 04:41 AM (5 years, 9 months ago)

If thats 2 8GB sticks for 16GB ram total then you are in the 'norm' at this point and 32g would be the future proofing.  If thats just 8GB total then definitely get another 8 at least.  Memory usually wants to be installed in pairs in matching banks so make sure you buy more ram accordingly.

i.e.  4 total ram slots.  slot 1/2 is bank 1 and slot 3/4 is bank 2.  If you have 8GB chips in 1 and 2 then you can add an additional matching pair in 3/4 of any size like 2x4 or 2x8.  Memory timings will drop across the whole system to whatever your slowest ram is.

A better cpu cooler is always nice.  Even the cheaper all in one solutions without separate reservoirs and all that jazz like corsair makes work well.  You dont NEED a card water cooler, they are just cool options but usually not needed unless you are doing some serious card over clocking.

When your system starts to become unstable, even a little, while overclocking it generally means you have reached your threshold and need to increase voltage or lower heat or both. 

great build!

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25234912 - 05/28/18 08:09 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

Looks fun.

I'd say: stay away from water cooling. Well, depends on where your interests lie. If you like the mechanical aspects of tinkering with computers, then definitely go water cooling. If you prefer tinkering with the software side and having the computer work, most definitely skip the water cooling.

My experience with water cooling, both through observations of other builds and my own (quickly aborted) attempts is that it's a bit like a performance aircraft. It works great, it's shiny as hell, it looks super cool, and it takes 30 hours of maintenance for every hour of use.

I'd say I had to fix some random water cooling failure or leak roughly once a week before I gave up and went back to relatively foolproof air cooling. You can always buy a bigger heat sink and a nicer fan, and unless you're literally trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of your machine (in which case skip water and buy a dewar of LN2 right away), air cooling will work and will be more reliable.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags