Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Oh, 1 more question regarding incubation...
    #2290807 - 02/01/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have my jars inside the 2-bin incubation system, and I wanted to know if it's a problem that my bins are clear??  The room itself has only one window, which the blind is always closed.  It does get a bit light during the day, but there again it's only one window.  Should I cover the bins with a blanket or something to completely keep light out or does it even matter during the incubation stage??  It's night time now, so I have some time to put a blanket on if need be.  Thanks!! :smile:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Oh, 1 more question regarding incubation... [Re: coop]
    #2290811 - 02/01/04 12:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

cover em coop, can't hurt and might stop the pinning that could develop from light xposure.

SM

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

Re: Oh, 1 more question regarding incubation... [Re: simplemachine]
    #2290818 - 02/01/04 12:52 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok...I'll do that right now...one other question, should I cover the holes with masking tape again??  I took the tape off to inoculate, and only put the tin foil back on once I was done.  Also, I sprayed a tad bit of lysol in the air before putting the lid back on the bin the jars are within.  Should I even worry or go back in a put tape back over the holes??  Thanks again...and I'll be in touch with you in the near future for help..lol!!  Oh, btw, I found coco coir at freakin' Osco Drug...what a find!!  I need to figure out how to make a syringe as well once I used these 2 and have a couple of empty syringes left over.  :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2290838 - 02/01/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well you came to the right place my brotha, we live to help people grow shrooms! tape up the holes untill you got some myc forming. No sense letting contams in and moisture out with no myc to enjoy the fresh air!

SM

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2290848 - 02/01/04 01:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Oh...so now you think I should go back into my incubation chamber and tape up the holes?? I just went in there and sprayed some more lysol, and covered the bin with a lysol-sprayed dark green sheet to keep out light. Do you think I really should go back in and tape the holes?? I do have foil over the holes as well as the lid that came with the bin. Also I have other things to weight down the top bin to push it further into the water. I have sprayed everything and anything with lysol.

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2290852 - 02/01/04 01:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

coop it's up to you! I'm not the one growing your mushrooms, so you make the call. They probably be fine without tape. they will definately be fine with tape. Its all subjective.

SM

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2290854 - 02/01/04 01:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I guess if I have to make the judgement call...I think they will be fine with the way they are.  Like I said, I was VERY clean up to this point so I think everything will be fine.  Furthermore, I did put the vermiculite in and the foil overtop, and also sprayed a bit of lysol in the already sterile bin they are sitting within.  And, I even sprayed everything with lysol that is covering the bin.  SO, I think it's pretty damn sterile.  Plus, I'm afraid if I go back in and put tape on the lids I could cause contams to have a chance to get in.  And, btw, don't say it's "your call"...you are SUPPOSED to be helping me...remember?? :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2290866 - 02/01/04 01:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Dude I love helping peeps, but I can't make all the calls for ya! You got 2 well educated, conflicting opinions from me and magash in the other thread, when that happens, like it our not, you gotta choose 1 option.

SM

--------------------

OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2291001 - 02/01/04 03:28 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Really, I haven't found contams to be THAT intruding, to the point where I am afraid to even open my incubator without worry. I OFTEN open both my terrarium and incubator (and handle jars) without ANY spread of contam. I also usually take the tape off my jars immediately after innoculation to allow for sufficient air exchange throughout the colonization stage. Even though it isn't pertinient to the mycelium development, C02 does slow the process. Letting it escape can quicken the colonization.

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Oh, 1 more question regarding incubation... [Re: Kichy]
    #2291114 - 02/01/04 04:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

my point is that there is no CO2 increase in the jar untill the myc begins to grows and respirate. Leaving the holes open before this takes place just lets out water in my opinion.

SM

--------------------

Offlinecoop
The Rookie

#2291625 - 02/01/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, but if you have tin foil covering the lid, as well as a lid over the bin, how is there air exchange??

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation