Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
The Field
    #2290576 - 01/31/04 10:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I finally bought the book "The Field", by Lynne McTaggart. Here are the first few pages of chapter one:

Perhaps what happened to Ed Mitchell was due to the lack of gravity, or maybe to the fact that all his senses had been disoriented. He had been on his way home, which at the moment was approximately 250,000 miles away, somewhere on the surface of the clouded azure and white crescent appearing intermittently through the triangular window of the command module of the Apollo 14.

Two days before, he had become the sixth man to land on the moon. The trip had been a triumph: The first lunar landing to carry out scientific investigations. The 94 pounds of rock and soil samples in the hold attested to that. Although he and his commander, Alan Shepard, hadn?t reached the summit of the 750-foot-high ancient Cone Crater, the rest of the items on the meticulous schedule taped to their wrists, detailing virtually every minute of their two-day journey, had been methodically ticked off.

What they hadn?t fully accounted for was the effect of this uninhabited world, low in gravity, devoid of the diluting effect of atmosphere, on the senses. Without signposts such as trees or telephone wires, or indeed anything other than the Antares, the gold insect-like lunar module, on the full sweep of the dust-grey landscape, all perceptions of space, scale, distance or depth were horribly distorted; Ed had been shocked to discover that any points of navigation which had been carefully noted on high-resolution photographs were at least double the distance expected. It was as though he and Alan had shrunk during space travel and what from home had appeared to be tiny humps and ridges on the moon?s surface had suddenly swollen to heights of sic feet or more. And yet if they felt diminished in size, they were also lighter than ever. He?d experienced an odd lightness of being, from the weak gravitational pull, and despite the weight and bulk of his ungainly spacesuit, felt buoyed at every step.

There had also been the distorting effect of the sun, pure and unadulterated in this airless world. In the blinding sunlight, even in the relatively cool morning, before the highs that might reach 270-degree craters, landmarks, soil and the earth ? even the sky itself ? all stood out in absolute clarity. For a mind accustomed to the soft filter of atmosphere, the sharp shadows, the changeable colors of the slate-grey soil all conspired to play tricks on the eye. Unknowingly, he and Alan had been only 61 feet from Cone Crater?s edge, about 10 seconds away, when they turned back, convinced that they wouldn?t reach it in time ? a failure that would bitterly disappoint Ed, who?d longed to stare into that 1100-foot diameter hole in the midst of the lunar uplands. Their eyes didn?t know how to interpret this hyperstate of vision. Nothing lived, but also nothing was hidden from view, and everything lacked subtlety. Every sight overwhelmed the eye with brilliant contrasts and shadows. He was seeing, in a sense, more clearly and less clearly than he ever had.

During the relentless activity of their schedule, there had been little time for reflection or wonder, or for any thoughts of a larger purpose to the trip. They had gone farther in the universe than any man before them, and yet, weighed down by the knowledge that they were costing the American taxpayers $200,000 a minute, they felt compelled to keep their eyes on the clock, ticking off the details of what Houston had planned in their packed schedule. Only after the lunar module had reconnected with the command module and begun the two-day journey back to earth could Ed pull off his spacesuit, now filthy with lunar soil, sit back in his long johns and try to put his frustration and his jumble of thoughts into some sort of order.

The Kittyhawk was slowly rotating, like a chicken on a spit, in order to balance the thermal effect on each side of the spacecraft; and in its slow revolution, earth was intermittently framed through the window as a tiny crescent in an all-engulfing night of stars. From this perspective, as the earth traded places in and out of view with the rest of the solar system, sky didn?t exist only above the astronauts, as we ordinarily view it, but as an all-encompassing entity that cradled the earth from all sides.

It was then, while staring out of the window, that Ed experienced the strangest feeling he would ever have: a feeling of connectedness, as if all the planets and all the people of all time were attached by some invisible web. He could hardly breathe from the majesty of the moment. Although he continued to turn knobs and press buttons, he felt distanced from his body, as though someone else were doing the navigating.

There seemed to be an enormous force field here, connecting all people, their intentions and thoughts, and every animate and inanimate form of matter for all time. Anything he did or thought would influence the rest of the cosmos, and every occurrence in the cosmos would have a similar effect on him. Time was just an artificial construct. Everything he?d been taught about the universe and the separateness of people and things felt wrong. There were no accidents or individual intentions. The natural intelligence that had gone on for billions of years, that had forged the very molecules of his being, was also responsible for his own present journey. This wasn?t something he was simply comprehending in his mind, but an overwhelmingly visceral feeling, as though he were physically extending out of the window to the very furthest reaches of the cosmos.

He hadn?t seen the face of God. It didn?t feel like a standard religious experience so much as a blinding epiphany of meaning ? what the Eastern religions often term an ?ecstasy of unity?. It was as though in a single instant Ed Mitchell had discovered and felt The Force.

--------------------------------

I had reached chapter five when I first started reading this book about a year ago. I'm going to start over from the beginning, because you have to build on the concepts, and there are physics involved.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: The Field [Re: Frog]
    #2290647 - 01/31/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I know of a much easier way to get that feeling than travelling to the moon and back :lol:

Interesting read, thankyou Frog.  In the excerpts of "The Spirit Molecule" that I have read, there was a reference to the mystical experience of the above astronaut as he returned to earth.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: The Field [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2290694 - 01/31/04 11:30 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had the feeling that was described in the book, one day. A feeling that somehow, we are all connected, and that there is no "time".

This feeling, and the other things that were going on, such as a sense that God is helping me, caused me to start reading books. This was one of the first books I picked up, and it blew me away that there was at least one other person in the world who had the same feeling.

Of course, for me, the physics parts are difficult to understand, but I think Einstein was on to something, as well as the other people whose work is cited by this author.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2291073 - 02/01/04 04:20 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"The message left on Haisch's answering machine had said, 'Oh my God, I think I've just derived F=ma'.

To a physicist, this announcement was anlaogous to claiming to have worked out a mathematical equation to prove God. In this case, God was Newton and F=ma the First Commandment. F=ma was a central tenet in physics, postulated by Newton in his Principia, the Holy Bible of classical physics, in 1687, as the fundamental equation of motion. It was so central to physical theory that it was a given, a postulate, not something provable, but simply assumed to be true, and never argued with. Force equals mass ( or inertia) times acceleration. Or, the acceleration you get is inversely proportional to mass for any given force. Inertia - the tendency of objects to stay put and be hard to get moving, and then once moving, hard to stop - fights your ability to increase to get it moving. The amount of effort it takes to send a flea flying across a tennis court will not begin to shift a hippopotamus."

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2291308 - 02/01/04 09:13 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

And like SpecialEd said, one doesn't even have to go to the Moon to get that feeling.. or even take hallucinogens. It doesn't matter what you are doing, it results from looking at things from a certain perspective. I think we are all capable of viewing life through this perspective.. it seems as if it is something that comes with life. I also think it isn't fair to us to keep us seperated from that perspective. :laugh:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: The Field [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2291527 - 02/01/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Have you ever seen "Powder?" I like the part where he is at the carnival and he points to this girls forehead and says "You have that black dot right there, that tells you you are seperate from everything. My Grandparents had it too, it was the way they were taught."

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: The Field [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2293205 - 02/02/04 04:32 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

powder is a really wierd movie, I dont reccommend it to anyone. The editor was a convicted child molester.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2293222 - 02/02/04 04:40 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had a similar, though localized feeling, at the tail end of a peyote trip. I had been running all night long along the beach with a friend and his Irish Setter. (We ran so much that the dogs paws were bleeding from the abrasion and the sand was soft!)

As dawn was breaking we were walking along the boardwalk and the early risers were out walking. As I passed each stranger we would exchange smiles and it was if waves of incredible warmth and love passed through me; a temporary feeling of inter-connectedness. Amazing!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: The Field [Re: Swami]
    #2293251 - 02/02/04 04:50 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I notice that there are people who do hallucinogens who have these "psychic" experiences.

I was able to feel my feelings of inter-connectedness without using shrooms.

It seems that most people may need to use psychadelics to get the experience that I can get for free.

Does anyone else here know what I mean?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2293299 - 02/02/04 05:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It seems that most people may need to use psychadelics to get the experience that I can get for free.

You did use the word "seems", but you cannot compare ineffable experiences merely by reading their descriptions. I have never had that feeling without entheogens and you have never had that feeling with them. We can never be sure that we are even remotely discussing the same thing.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2293302 - 02/02/04 05:28 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"I was able to feel my feelings of inter-connectedness without using shrooms. "

yeah I know what you mean, and the feeling on shrooms is still different. can't say for peyote. but with shrooms, it's crazy, you'd have to try em a couple of times to get something like that. it all depends on you really.

" seems that most people may need to use psychadelics to get the experience that I can get for free. "

you will never experince what it is to be on mushrooms while being sober, lol. that's why some people do them

it isn't about how much the experience is that says if it's better or not lol. it's just about how genuine the feeling is, and how much are you honest with yourself (among other things) just hink of shroms as just another teacher.

I can most positively say that the way I feel that feeling of connection is different than yours. why would one way be better than the other.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2293359 - 02/02/04 06:09 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
Does anyone else here know what I mean?

Have you ever had time and movement sway to a TOOL song? Where you are in such a state that music takes on a third dimension? Especially songs with extra intent of creating an experience while being in that state... the texture and feel is amazing. No matter how much I have focused on the same songs, no matter how much more I experienced them, the experience of those songs never even remotely compared to when I was on mushrooms...

I've never been so "in the now" than I have been when I'm on mushrooms. All there is, is the moment and the experience. A lot of times when sober I've been able to really focus on the moment and have a truly grand experience, and that is what it is all about.. bringing something back from your journey and integrating it into your life. However, it still pales in comparison...  :mushroom2:

I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for those sacred experiences I've had on mushrooms. When the boundaries and assumptions of what this world is and how we see things shut down and we see it from a completely new, and natural, vantage point, life becomes just a little more understandable and enjoyable. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2293489 - 02/02/04 09:09 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

& edgar mitchell thus founded:
www.noetic.org

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: The Field [Re: Swami]
    #2294359 - 02/02/04 04:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

You did use the word "seems", but you cannot compare ineffable experiences merely by reading their descriptions. I have never had that feeling without entheogens and you have never had that feeling with them. We can never be sure that we are even remotely discussing the same thing.

That's what's nice about language. We can describe the feeling. it was the "feeling" of being interconnected with everything, that caused me to start looking into the universe and figuring things out.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro, Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology