Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions?
    #2289806 - 01/31/04 04:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So my first grow through with cakes went great and I have the hang of them no problem (suprisingly simple). Next step would be to try some casings. This is where I run into problems.

I am making my casings from fully colonized BRF cakes. For case layer I have used both straight coir and straight verm, using the microwave sterlilization method (5 minutes at high, 2 or 3 times). Coir and verm is always at field capacity before I add it to anything. My procedure it as follows:

1. Wipe down work area, containers, utensils, etc with isopropyl alcohol.

2. birth cakes directly into large ziplock bag (right out of package, assumed to be sterile) and crumble them into half inch sized chunks. Mycelium looks healthy throughout cakes.

3. Add a small amount of coir or verm. Spray a little H20/H202 (not too strong) into the bag to raise moisture content.

4. Put a small layer of coir or verm along the bottom of case container and spray it lightly. Empty the contents of the bag on top of the bottom layer. Spread it evenly (with a fork wiped to shit with isopropyl).

5. Put another layer of verm or coir (1/4 to 1/2 inch) down and spread it evenly. Spray the case layer moderately once it looks finished to add more moisture.

6. Cover with saran wrap and put an elastic around the edge. Place into incubator at 81-83 degrees F.

This is where my problems start. I will go to check the casings two or three days later and find no sign of mycelium growth whatsoever. There is however, a sweet sort of smell to them. There is no visible sign of contam at all, even when I dig through the casing with a sterile fork. If I leave the case, the smell will get stronger and the mycelium will continue to lay dormant. The chunks of substrate underneath the case layer are definately the source of the smell but they still appear healthy.

This has happened to about 6 or 7 casings now although I do have one that worked out. It was one of the first ones I made and the mycelium almost covered the top layer of coir before I began to see knots (this happened yesterday). Hopefully it will fruit although the coir looks somewhat dry.

There are some things that require mentioning that may have something to do with the problem.
#1 The RH in my incubator (tub in tub) is a contstant 99%. I am waiting on the use of a drill to put holes in the top edge of both the inner and outer tub (to neutralize humidity/temps).
#2 I don't think my coir is the same type of coir as the stuff usually mentioned here. It is not very fine at all and is more similar to small woodchips. I bought it in a petstore (usually used for reptile bedding) and it has chunks around 1/4 inch cubed. I have plans to purchase some of the hydroponic grade stuff ASAP.

Sorry about the length, but I felt the situation needed to be described in detail. I am getting extremely frustrated and cannot find the fault in my procedure. Always helpful, I thought i would ask all you pros out there if there is maybe something I am overlooking or whatever. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineonthefly
Will spin forpills

Loc: Midwest
Re: Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions? [Re: Kichy]
    #2289823 - 01/31/04 04:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think i know a few things your doing wrong. First off your not supposed to add water to the bottom layer of verm in the case. That could cause the myc to grow down to the moisture instead of up and ruin your casing. Also you dont need to humidify the incubator, the casing provides its own humidity when it is covered. Also the casing material should be a 60/40 mix of coir and verm not just one or the other. But i think you are using the wrong kind of coir, It should be one brick and expands when water is added. I could be wrong about something though so wait for more users to respond.

OfflineSatori1
Stranger

Loc: everywhere
    #2289825 - 01/31/04 04:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

For those 6-7 casings, how long did you wait for the casing to colonize?
And how many inches of substrate were there, because as a general rule 1/4 inch casing is applied to every 1 inch of substrate.
You procedure sounds correct.
Just remember, there are environmental changes which must take place to initiate fruiting once the casing is evenly colonized.

Primordia Formation
Relative humidity: 95-100 %.
Air Temperature: 74-78 F.
Duration: 6-10 days.
C02: less than 5000 ppm
Fresh Air Exchanges: 1-3 per hour.
Light: Diffuse natural or exposure to 12-16 hours/day of grow-lux type fluorescent light high in blue spectra at the 480 nanometer wavelength.

Cropping:
Relative humidity: 85-92 %.
Air Temperature: 74-78 F.
C02: less than 5000 ppm
Flushing Pattern: Every 5-8 days.
Light: Indirect natural or same as above

That was from the TMC. Hope it helped

OfflineSatori1
Stranger

Re: Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions? [Re: onthefly]
    #2289833 - 01/31/04 04:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

onthefly,you are incorrect; lightly watering the bottom layer of coir will not ruin casings.
" Also the casing material should be a 60/40 mix of coir and verm not just one or the other"
As for that I say to each man his/her own. Straight coir and straight verm work just fine.

You should make certain that what you are using is coco coir. This is coco coir: http://www.shroomery.org/images/23536/83419-DSCF0051_small.jpg

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2289870 - 01/31/04 04:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Cased with straight verm, never had a problem, cased with straight coir never had a problem. I like a mix of the two as far as the ratio I do it till it looks right. The wood chips thing is gonna be a problem I think you want to get the right stuff.

These are both good and pretty cheep.

They seem to work

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSatori1
Stranger

Re: Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions? [Re: Magash]
    #2289893 - 01/31/04 05:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Nice pic Magash, I use that exact brand of Eco Earth coco coir.

Edited by Satori1 (01/31/04 05:16 PM)

OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions? [Re: Satori1]
    #2290988 - 02/01/04 03:15 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Satori:  I usually check the casings on the second day.  By this time the sweet smell I mentioned is quite noticeable and only increases each day that I check after that.  The layer of substrate is approx 1 inch, maybe 3/4 at the least.

My incubator temps are 81-83 degrees F (just below 86 to allow for the 3+ inside jars).  The only real issue I can possibly think of is the RH in my incubator may be too high, maybe instigating excessive contams??  although I have never seen visible signs of it, but I know enough that sweet smells are not a good thing :frown:  Anyways, any other tips are greatly appreciated

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2291223 - 02/01/04 06:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Are you punching holes in the saran wrap covering to allow air exchange? I'm not sure how this coould cause the smell you describe, but it should improve incubation times. The only contam i can think of with a sweetsmell is sour rot, (wet spot), but I've never heard of that contaming colonised cakes. pUzzling...

OfflineSatori1
Stranger

#2291302 - 02/01/04 08:55 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Usually things which are being kept in an incubator (jars, casings) are covered, and contain the RH within their vessel, making any further humidity rising unneeded.

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
Re: Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions? [Re: Satori1]
    #2291538 - 02/01/04 12:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

using bottled water? tap water could be cause of contams.

also, air exchange?? co2 build up will cause a slow growth.

temps a bit to high? thought 70's were better for incubating/fruiting.

other than that, use different casing material. better coir product.

those are my 2 bits  :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Offlinezoomerman
zoomer
Loc: Arizona
Re: Damn casings!! Can't get it right!! Any suggestions? [Re: Suby]
    #2291977 - 02/01/04 04:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

He had the same problems with straight verm casings too. In fact, the only one that didn't fuck up is one of the coir ones. I think his high humidity could possibly be the source of his problem.

--------------------
As long as there is dope to fill it, there is no reason to stop hitting the bong... ever.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation