Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO * 4
    #22891200 - 02/11/16 09:51 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/science/ligo-gravitational-waves-black-holes-einstein.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

http://www.kurzweilai.net/we-have-detected-gravitational-waves-ligo-live-press-conference

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/12150944/Gravitational-waves-Einstein-was-right-and-this-announcement-is-the-scientific-highlight-of-the-decade.html

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-thursday-einstein-gravitational.html

Quote:

A team of physicists who can now count themselves as astronomers announced on Thursday that they had heard and recorded the sound of two black holes colliding a billion light-years away, a fleeting chirp that fulfilled the last prophecy of Einstein’s general theory of relativity.

That faint rising tone, physicists say, is the first direct evidence of gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that Einstein predicted a century ago. And it is a ringing (pun intended) confirmation of the nature of black holes, the bottomless gravitational pits from which not even light can escape, which were the most foreboding (and unwelcome) part of his theory.

More generally, it means that scientists have finally tapped into the deepest register of physical reality, where the weirdest and wildest implications of Einstein’s universe become manifest.

Conveyed by these gravitational waves, an energy 50 times greater than that of all the stars in the universe put together vibrated a pair of L-shaped antennas in Washington State and Louisiana known as LIGO on Sept. 14.

These chirps are gravitational waves converted to audible sounds. The faint thump matches the gravitational waves’ frequencies. The louder chirp is a higher frequency better suited to human ears. LIGO

If replicated by future experiments, that simple chirp, which rose to the note of middle C before abruptly stopping, seems destined to take its place among the great sound bites of science, ranking with Alexander Graham Bell’s “Mr. Watson — come here” and Sputnik’s first beeps from orbit.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #22891371 - 02/11/16 10:52 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I don't understand much of this but here's a cool picture.

Carl Sagan making that same sound! WTF :crazy2: Whooopp!

--------------------

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: DividedQuantum] * 2
    #22891380 - 02/11/16 10:55 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I saw an article about this. It's fucking awesome. Einstein was the shit. Somebody be getting a Nobel prize for this.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#22891473 - 02/11/16 11:33 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Breakthrough: Scientists detect Einstein's gravity ripples

https://www.yahoo.com/news/breakthrough-scientists-detect-einstein-predicted-ripples-154314697.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — In an announcement that electrified the world of astronomy, scientists said Thursday that they have finally detected gravitational waves, the ripples in the fabric of space-time that Einstein predicted a century ago.

Astronomers hailed the finding as achievement of historic proportions, one that opens the door to a new way of observing the cosmos and the violent collisions that are constantly shaping it. For them, it's like turning a silent movie into a talkie because these waves are the soundtrack of the universe.

"Until this moment, we had our eyes on the sky and we couldn't hear the music," said Columbia University astrophysicist Szabolcs Marka, a member of the discovery team. "The skies will never be the same."

An all-star international team of astrophysicists used a newly upgraded and excruciatingly sensitive $1.1 billion set of twin instruments known as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory, or LIGO, to detect a gravitational wave generated by the collision of two black holes 1.3 billion light-years from Earth.

To make sense of the raw data, the scientists converted the wave into sound. At a news conference, they played a recording of what they called a "chirp" — the signal they heard on Sept. 14. It was barely perceptible even when enhanced.

Some physicists said the finding is as big a deal as the 2012 discovery of the subatomic Higgs boson, sometimes called the "God particle." Some said this is bigger.

"It's really comparable only to Galileo taking up the telescope and looking at the planets," said Penn State physics theorist Abhay Ashtekar, who wasn't part of the discovery team. "Our understanding of the heavens changed dramatically."

Gravitational waves, first theorized by Albert Einstein in 1916 as part of his theory of general relativity, are extraordinarily faint ripples in space-time, the hard-to-fathom fourth dimension that combines time with the familiar up, down, left and right. When massive objects like black holes or neutron stars collide, they send gravitational waves across the universe, stretching space-time or causing it to bunch up like a fishing net.

Scientists found indirect proof of the existence of gravitational waves in the 1970s — computations that showed they ever so slightly changed the orbits of two colliding stars — and the work was honored as part of the 1993 Nobel Prize in physics. But Thursday's announcement was a direct detection of a gravitational wave.

And that's considered a big difference.

"It's one thing to know soundwaves exist, but it's another to actually hear Beethoven's Fifth Symphony," said Marc Kamionkowsi, a physicist at Johns Hopkins University who wasn't part of the discovery team. "In this case we're actually getting to hear black holes merging."

Gravitational waves are the "soundtrack of the universe," said team member Chad Hanna of Pennsylvania State University.

Detecting gravitational waves is so difficult that when Einstein first theorized about them, he figured scientists would never be able to hear them. The greatest scientific mind of the 20th century later doubted himself and questioned in the 1930s whether they really do exist, but by the 1960s scientists had concluded they probably do, Ashtekar said.

In 1979, the National Science Foundation decided to give money to the California Institute of Technology and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to come up with a way to detect the waves.

Twenty years later, they started building two LIGO detectors in Hanford, Washington, and Livingston, Louisiana, and they were turned on in 2001. But after years with no luck, scientists realized they had to build a more advanced system, which was turned on last September.

"This is truly a scientific moonshot and we did it. We landed on the moon," said David Reitze, LIGO's executive director.

The new LIGO in some frequencies is three times more sensitive than the old one and is able to detect ripples at lower frequencies that the old one couldn't. And more upgrades are planned.

Sensitivity is crucial because the stretching and squeezing of space-time by these gravitational waves is incredibly tiny. Essentially, LIGO detects waves that stretch and squeeze the entire Milky Way galaxy "by the width of your thumb," Hanna said.

Each LIGO has two giant perpendicular arms more than 2 miles long. A laser beam is split and travels both arms, bouncing off mirrors to return to the arms' intersection. Gravitational waves stretch the arms to create an incredibly tiny mismatch — smaller than a subatomic particle — in the beams' locations. That mismatch is what LIGO detects.

"We are fairly certain that we will find more and more signals," Marka said. "This is just a start."

___

Online:

LIGO: https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/

National Science Foundation's video Einstein's Messengers: http://www.nsf.gov/news/mmg/mmg_disp.jsp?med_id=58443

___

Follow Seth Borenstein at http://twitter.com/borenbears and his work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/seth-borenstein

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #22891495 - 02/11/16 11:43 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So what application does this have? I know it's huge, but I don't really know why.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: Patlal]
    #22891523 - 02/11/16 11:55 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
So what application does this have? I know it's huge, but I don't really know why.

I don't think it's as huge as is being made out.  These waves were predicted 100 years ago.  There has never been any reason to doubt their existance.  The theory that predicts them has made numerous successful predictions in the past 100 years. 

It's good to check the theory.  But real excitement and progress in science comes from new and unexplained phenomenon.

But to the spirit of your question, this is science - not engineering.  The application is to our understanding of the universe and our models of phenomenon.  Applications of the theory of gravity in engineering already exist since the theory is 100 years old.

"Science is like sex: Sometimes something useful comes out, but that is not the reason we are doing it."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: DieCommie]
    #22891535 - 02/11/16 11:59 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It is confirmation.  That's all.  There is no direct use.  It's cool as shit but it doesn't mean anything to our lives.  These geniuses need to stop fucking around with this stuff and get down to what is important which is workable fusion.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #22891688 - 02/11/16 12:45 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

This is the first step to Anti-Gravity technology aka UFOs.

:holyfuckdude:

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#22891880 - 02/11/16 01:40 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

Huge.

I think this supports the theory of "aether displacement" to explain the double slit experiment.

In other words, the idea that photons create a "wake" in space-time and it's the interaction of that wake through the slits that causes an interference pattern

Watch "Aether Displacement and the Double Slit Experiment" on YouTube

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: WScott]
    #22891928 - 02/11/16 01:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

WScott said:
I don't understand much of this but here's a cool picture.

Carl Sagan making that same sound! WTF :crazy2: Whooopp!

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #22893391 - 02/11/16 09:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It's really sad that this just fell off the forum.

This is a monumental breakthrough in physics..it's hugely interesting and significant.

It may be the biggest discovery in physics in our lifetime.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: Shins]
    #22893663 - 02/11/16 10:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I read about this earlier this morning.. It made me want to read about space all day long.

absolutely love this shit!!!

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Invisibledeadwk

Loc: Canada, eh? Flag
    #22893684 - 02/11/16 10:25 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

It gives us another avenue for observing, and learning about the universe.

Offlinemy3rdeye
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #22893736 - 02/11/16 10:37 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

Patlal said:

I would happy with a just a flying car.

OfflineHuberto Babaduche
Stranger

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: my3rdeye]
    #22893769 - 02/11/16 10:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

They said that this discovery will help them understand gravity better.

Hope still exists that I'll see these in my lifetime

Invisibledeadwk

Loc: Canada, eh? Flag
    #22893774 - 02/11/16 10:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

Patlal said:

Not even close

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: Huberto Babaduche]
    #22893953 - 02/11/16 11:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Huberto Babaduche said:
They said that this discovery will help them understand gravity better.

Hope still exists that I'll see these in my lifetime

Its more than gravity, it's the fabric of space/time.  This has big Implications.  I think it potentially disproves significant parts of quantum mechanics.  Or at the least, strengthens alternative hypotheses.

--------------------

OfflineTurtletotem
Dutch Delight
 User Gallery

#22894042 - 02/11/16 11:51 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So two dark stars merge and for a brief moment generate more power than all the stars in the universe?

Shit that is so fucking awesome mang!

By the way Zappaisgod, have you heard about the experiment in Germany with fusion? They're one step closer to a fully operational reactor! Again!

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: Turtletotem]
    #22894079 - 02/12/16 12:05 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

basically it means gravity acts like the ocean, which means all we need is a boat with a sail and we can harness its waves, then the boat becomes free energy and all we have to do is use basic mechanic's to generate energy from a moving object.

also im sure everyone is well aware that the moon affects teh weather on earth, including the tidal waves in the ocean, using Einsteins theory i speculate that the moon is actually a black hole that got plugged up with dust, leaving it with just enough energy to put out gravity waves that interact with the ocean to create their waves.  What we need to do is point that lazer thing and listen to the moon for these gravity waves to confirm my theory as if true would obviously change how we view the moon and how many refrigerators we are willing to smash into it.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #22894096 - 02/12/16 12:12 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

"the moon is actually a black hole that got plugged up with dust"

:rofl:

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#22894099 - 02/12/16 12:15 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Does this mean light/wave duality could be false?  Could photons be just propagating waves in spacetime?

--------------------

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
    #22894137 - 02/12/16 12:24 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

:whaa: Interesting thought!

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: WScott]
    #22894145 - 02/12/16 12:27 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Omfg they need to apply LIGO technology to the double slit experiment.  It could be a huge breakthrough!

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#22894186 - 02/12/16 12:37 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

If photons propegate waves in spacetime,  it would mean in the double slit experiment a photon would pass through only one slit while it's wave would pass through both and propegatete,  creating a pattern which could relate to the interference pattern!

I've always found this hypothesis interesting.  This new LIGO discovery seems to support it

Disproving light/wave duality would be huge!

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #22894204 - 02/12/16 12:43 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO

nice.

gravity is the main spigot of universal flow.

i can almost guarantee it...the flow being light of course -- and what's contained within, vibrational waveforms.

but gravity plays not only a role in why the Earth eventually formed (and thus our existence, at all -- though this is among other things that help that cause) but also in how we interpret the world around us, as well.

Quote:

Shins said:
If photons propegate waves in spacetime,  it would mean in the double slit experiment a photon would pass through only one slit while it's wave would pass through both and propegatete,  creating a pattern which could relate to the interference pattern!

I've always found this hypothesis interesting.  This new LIGO discovery seems to support it

Disproving light/wave duality would be huge!

indeed.

Offlineakira_akuma

#22894219 - 02/12/16 12:49 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shins said:

Its more than gravity, it's the fabric of space/time.  This has big Implications.  I think it potentially disproves significant parts of quantum mechanics.  Or at the least, strengthens alternative hypotheses.

on Acid once i could have sworn i was in a perceptual whirlpool of information, pulled downwards and in a clock-wise motion, like folding blocks into my head and through me.

it'd be awesome if we displaced timewaves and literally moved through our own perceptual haze, throughout the fabric of space. our own wormholes.

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: akira_akuma]
    #22894232 - 02/12/16 12:52 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Is it gravitational waves? Or superposition?

If you ask me gravitational waves makes more sense.  Hopefully there is some research in this area in the near future.

--------------------

Edited by Shins (02/12/16 12:58 AM)

Offlineakira_akuma

#22894241 - 02/12/16 12:54 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

radiation is fun too.

Quote:

Is it gravitational waves? Or superposition?

If you ask me gravitational waves makes more sense.  Hopefully there is some research in this area in the near future.

both are equally immense. i go with option A: because i'm a betting man. fuck Schrodinger's cat, it's dead, just like God.

because it was never God...or a cat.

unless we're referring to God's/cat's eye, then, that might be more accurate, figuratively speaking.

you know that saying "in the blink of an eye"?

Edited by akira_akuma (02/12/16 01:06 AM)

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada, Flag
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: akira_akuma]
    #22895739 - 02/12/16 12:33 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Incredible news for sure. :smile:

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Trip Report: SHROOMS DMT---- My Youtube Psychedelic Channel

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

#22895749 - 02/12/16 12:35 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
"the moon is actually a black hole that got plugged up with dust"

:rofl:

You could say the same about my ex.:rimshot:

--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.

In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: Shins] * 1
    #22896103 - 02/12/16 02:22 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
Does this mean light/wave duality could be false?  Could photons be just propagating waves in spacetime?

So you're saying photons are actually riding the waves of gravity, like a surfer riding a wave? And those waves are gravity waves? :psychesplit:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#22896702 - 02/12/16 05:21 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shins said:

This is a monumental breakthrough in physics..it's hugely interesting and significant.

Why?  It just confirms the already established math.  What are you gonna do with it?  Nothing.

--------------------

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
    #22896941 - 02/12/16 06:36 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

Imagine the consequences of knowing that you can see the live propagation of waves which affect space-time itself. It could eventually lead to advancements in theoretical physics, and from there, who knows.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: DieCommie]
    #22896999 - 02/12/16 06:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Patlal said:

I don't think it's as huge as is being made out.  These waves were predicted 100 years ago.  There has never been any reason to doubt their existance.  The theory that predicts them has made numerous successful predictions in the past 100 years. 

It's good to check the theory.  But real excitement and progress in science comes from new and unexplained phenomenon.

But to the spirit of your question, this is science - not engineering.  The application is to our understanding of the universe and our models of phenomenon.  Applications of the theory of gravity in engineering already exist since the theory is 100 years old.

"Science is like sex: Sometimes something useful comes out, but that is not the reason we are doing it."

AFAIK pretty much all that is gonna change is they are gonna be able to make new mildly interesting astronomical observations about extremely distant objects that dont really have an effect on our lives

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#22898236 - 02/13/16 12:05 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

Shins said:

So you're saying photons are actually riding the waves of gravity, like a surfer riding a wave? And those waves are gravity waves? :psychesplit:

Pretty much along those lines! 

The interference pattern that the double slit experiment creates seems to be caused by 2 sets of concentric circles interfering with each other and creating an interference pattern.

Keep in mind light wave duality doesn't actually have any solid proof behind it, aside from speculating on the double slit experiment.  I think "gravity wave" hypothesis to explain the double slit experiment has just as much legitimacy, maybe even more with this new discovery!

--------------------

Edited by Shins (02/13/16 12:14 AM)

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: zappaisgod]
    #22898272 - 02/13/16 12:20 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Shins said:

Why?  It just confirms the already established math.  What are you gonna do with it?  Nothing.

It could potentially disprove quantum mechanics and confirms significant attributes of gravity/space/time which could spring advancements in physics

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#22898881 - 02/13/16 07:12 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

It was a confirmation of the math they use anyway.  It didn't disprove anything and it is pretty much useless.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gravitational Waves Detected at LIGO [Re: zappaisgod]
    #22899108 - 02/13/16 09:33 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for killing my new-science high :crankey:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order