Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

first mushie grow, going for trial and error
    #22887946 - 02/10/16 02:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

hey guys newbie here, just got all the things together for my grow
5 strains
maza
b+
albino a+
costa rica x 2
golden teacher

i also got some antimicrobial malt agar, i started 6 jars, 3 costa 3 golden teach

also did 4 brf jars of all B+

and im working on doing 4 lcs today... ill have pics up tonight, and without further a dooooooo my journey into the mushroom world begins:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoblinKing
Trismegistus

Loc: Right where it belongs.
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: tealseal]
    #22889615 - 02/10/16 08:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Good luck, lots of newbies learn through denial and error.

--------------------

OfflineTheDeathryderIsBac
Reaper
Male

Loc: Hell
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: GoblinKing]
    #22889829 - 02/10/16 09:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

If you have any questions, the links in my signature will help you.  You can also :pm: me if you think you have a question that might get you flamed, though there seems to be much less of that since I've returned.

OfflineTheLostBoys
Space Cowboy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Spiritual Temple, Angkor ... Flag
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: TheDeathryderIsBac]
    #22889850 - 02/10/16 09:16 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Do a lot of reading seriously until you pass out every night for the first month or so or, while your jars/grains are colonizing. Be patient and aware of everything you do and write down helpful notes. Smoke weed and love yourself and life. Cheers -TheLostBoys

--------------------
Trade List

"Sleep All Day,Party All Night. Never Grow Old, Never Die.Its fun being a Vampire"-TheLostBoys
" If you want to find the secrets of the universe, Think in terms of Energy, Frequency, and Vibration" -Nikola Tesla
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" -Grateful Dead

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: TheLostBoys]
    #22890093 - 02/10/16 10:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You are innoculating those LCs with a wedge of a clean agar culture correct?
Spores to LC= bad. Dont waste the time.

Honestly if you are just starting youre better off skipping the LC anyways. Youre not going to be doing so much spawn that you really need it anyways. Id go agar-grain, grain to grain transfer to expand your spawn... or you can just split 1 plate among 4-5 quarts for each tub.

Germinate spores on agar, clean culture up with transfers, inoculate grain spawn

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Offlineskwilly
the cat
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: mushpunx]
    #22891823 - 02/11/16 01:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You can do it! I excited for ya.

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: skwilly]
    #22895477 - 02/12/16 11:19 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the feedback guys, my wife has the camera lol cant get pics till later, but i got 2 Styrofoam ice coolers, filled one with  water and a fish tank heater set at 77. got all my jars in their, still have yet to see any signs of growth...

so u say spore to lc is a waste of time???
all i need is 1 jar to colonize whether it be the brf or lc, and ill feel like i succeeded, plus i still have 3 full syringes...

ill get pics up so u can hit me with feed back

Reaper
Male

#22895641 - 02/12/16 12:04 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tealseal said:
thanks for the feedback guys, my wife has the camera lol cant get pics till later, but i got 2 Styrofoam ice coolers, filled one with  water and a fish tank heater set at 77. got all my jars in their, still have yet to see any signs of growth...

all i need is 1 jar to colonize whether it be the brf or lc, and ill feel like i succeeded, plus i still have 3 full syringes...

Oh shit, your running a MAJORLY outdated method there man!  Pull those jars out and put them on a shelf.  Incubation is outdated and was discontinued due to bacteria problems.  The only reason to incubate now is if you're in a very, very, very cold area.  You ideally want your colonization temps in the low/mid 70s and fruiting temps in  the mid/high 60s.

Spores to LC doesn't always fail, I had good luck with it with my first set of syringes, but luck is the key word there.  The failure rate is high because there is no such thing as a sterile print unless you have a way to do the grow in sterile conditions from start to finish.  If you don't have a very high quality lab setup, a perfect print isn't going to happen.  This is why we use a still air box and agar, so that we can get that perfectly clean growth.

There are a few good methods for LC though.  One method is with no-pour agar jars.  Once you know that there is clean growth, you can add sterile water to the jar, which will dissolve the agar.  Another method I've seen with good success is taking a jar of fully colonized grain, add sterile water, give it a good shake, then draw the water back out.  This is generally done immediately before spawning the grain to a bulk substrate.

Read through the guide linked in my signature, it will help you a LOT.

Offlineskwilly
the cat
Male

#22895832 - 02/12/16 12:55 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I'm sorry I din't call that out as soon as I saw it. I will second that. Leave them out dont incubate

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: skwilly]
    #22895947 - 02/12/16 01:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

yeaaah. you can make those syringes last your hobby, years I mean.

Start your spores on agar, if you don't, at least move a piece of myc from a jar to agar to get it 100% clean before expanding it a lot.

I would take about 10 or 15 plates, with your syringe in your still air box with all sterile considerations. Outside the box leave a torch running on low so you can reach the needle out to flame in between plates without touching anything with alcohol soaked gloves. Shake or lightly bang the spore syringe to break up clumps, do this a few times during work.

so you're set with your mask, alcohol soaked arms and gloves. when the needle tip is glowing orange you must work swiftly, without moving your hands over the agar media, cool the needle tip in the middle of the agar dish in a very small circle (this creates a little canyon for the spore drop to stick in) close the plate lid. next drop a few drops onto the sab floor to cool the needle, lift the plate lid open and drop one drop into the canyon from the needle tip. Do this process in trials because  some will never germinate due to any number of reasons. Seal each dish using parafilm or kitchen cling wrap cut into 1inch rolls trying not to disturb the drop from the center. For an extra measure I bag plates in sets of 4 or 5 in new quart bags (which are sterile inside). I simply spray/wipe outside of the bag with 70% iso alcohol paying special attention to the opening, place in the sab, bag and label with variety, transfers from spores, and date.

post pictures when you see growth. About the size of a dime is when it should be transferred from to a blank, receiving plate. I would repeat this one or two more times always capturing the most vigorous growth. Then transfer (again in trials) to grain jars to expand and take clones from. Cluster clones are what will get your return for your time up. :thumbup:

beyond that my advice is having patience and timing is key.
Be prepared because mushrooms do their own thing, you as the cultivator just try to provide an environment.

***also google: lets grow mushrooms rogerrabbit

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

Edited by filthyknees (02/12/16 01:31 PM)

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: filthyknees]
    #22896045 - 02/12/16 02:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

should i be afraid to move or touch my jars?

Reaper
Male

#22896409 - 02/12/16 03:51 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tealseal said:

Move them as little as possible, and be carefull when you do.  You don't want to shift the dry vermiculite on the top as it is what keeps contaminates at bay.

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22896421 - 02/12/16 03:54 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheDeathryderIsBac said:
Quote:

tealseal said:

Move them as little as possible, and be carefull when you do.  You don't want to shift the dry vermiculite on the top as it is what keeps contaminates at bay.

lol im aware of that....

i was more worried about touching the glass lol i wantto be as sterile as possible... and gues wat!!!

i have some growth!!! this is so cool. ill snap pics in a bit, this is craaaazyy.
i know its a small step but so far im very excited as well as pleased.
yay!

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22900983 - 02/13/16 06:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22900987 - 02/13/16 06:30 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22900992 - 02/13/16 06:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

this is one of the first 4 jars i inoculated, i believ this is 4 days after....

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22901282 - 02/13/16 07:37 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

tealseal said:

Its just bad practice. BRF cakes are more forgiving than grains/LC and spore syringes are meant for cakes really. Spore syringes are rarely clean enough for anything but cakes. Innoculations by spores to anything else need a clean culture, which the only real practical way is on agar.

If youre using LC, start it with Agar.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: mushpunx]
    #22901466 - 02/13/16 08:28 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I don't want to discredit my colleagues, as it certainly is best practice to clean your cultures up using agar before inoculating grains or else other bulk style substrates, but I have used spore syringes to inoculate  dozens and dozens of grain jars successfully vs losing only a few.

One time after my very first grow (pf tek) I used a CC of spore solution to inoculate a Water Honey lc which I later used to inoculate two dozen more BRF cakes..and fruited all of them.

While I might have gotten lucky on the liquid culture, I would say that it is okay to use spore to grain....I've found failure here only rarely...and I will also add that I trust my spore supplier because they have a great reputation for THE cleanest spores......that's all I can say about that....

If you already got the agar though.....drop your spores on that before going to the liquid culture.

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Check out my Retail Gourmet Mushroom Farm!

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

Edited by Mycologist217 (02/13/16 08:29 PM)

InvisibleInocuole
Scalpel of Evil's Bane
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ★
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: Mycologist217]
    #22901868 - 02/13/16 10:07 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

My spore supplier definitely has the cleanest spores.  I know because they come from invitro fruits and the jars never open outside the SAB. :thumbup:

If you... get my gist.

Spores of that certainty of cleanliness are the only ones I'd ever consider using for LC and even then it's so easy to put it to agar and do a transfer first.  But you're right, you can shoot spores in grain jars and cakes all day and the contam rate is minimal comparatively, until you come across a batch of stubborn grain anyway.  Not even agar always saves you from that though.

I just generally don't recommend spores for inoculations if you find yourself having to buy more than one syringe of the same variety in a given 2 year span, because you could be doing all those grows off a single drop instead.

--------------------
                            :rainbowdrink: Tea doesn't work?                            AMU  (Q & A)                  Grain prep for Intergalactic Space Oats :pes:     

Coir-ca-cola
Jokes are funny until they're about you

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: Inocuole]
    #22903753 - 02/14/16 12:10 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

dnt mean to be so short im in the middle of a cancer auction for my auntie on facebook for a few, ill come back to this and explain

ive ditched the inubator and i dnt know ir i really wana go lc just yet

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22965197 - 03/02/16 11:26 AM (8 years, 28 days ago)

some B+ jars

i know i fucked up and used the wrong jars, i literally looked everywhere for them, and i ended up finding the right jars at ace hardware of all places so i picked up 2 cases

some lc jars i have a total of 3 going atm

golden teacher

albino A+

golden teachers

i also put my lc to good use to see if its good to go, i inoculated another 2 jars, 2 golden teach from my lc and 2 albino A+ with the lc aswell

i fucking love this shit!!!!

Reaper
Male

#22969385 - 03/03/16 12:57 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

The taller 1/2 pints are fine, I used them when I did pf tek.  Ace Hardware is actually the only place I've known to consistently carry canning jars.

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22969891 - 03/03/16 03:47 PM (8 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

TheDeathryderIsBac said:
The taller 1/2 pints are fine, I used them when I did pf tek.  Ace Hardware is actually the only place I've known to consistently carry canning jars.

lol right, i tried target, shopko, walmart, michaels and hit the jackpot at ace,

i inoculated my lc 2 days ago and they have already took, is it safe to say that this lc is good, or do i have to fruit the cakes first to see??? ill have pics soon

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22970163 - 03/03/16 04:56 PM (8 years, 26 days ago)

ok so here are 2 of the 4 jars i inoculated with lc

wat do u guys think??

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#22970181 - 03/03/16 05:02 PM (8 years, 26 days ago)

heres the other 2 of the 4

it looks a lil fuzzy and not so "ropey"

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#23054760 - 03/28/16 12:14 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

my first harvested mushie, strain is b , and before u ask no i didnt clone it, i wish i had tho, all good im still learning, and boy is this fun, i just hipe someone chimes in and lets me know im on the right track...

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#23054782 - 03/28/16 12:21 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

just some pics of wat i got going on

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ive noticed that all the mushrooms start from the bottom and i find myself having to flip the cakes over... is this normal or is there a particular reason why....????

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#23055948 - 03/28/16 06:02 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

do u think these are ready to be spawned????
i shook them when they colonized the first time about 1.5 weeks ago, got the substrate and casting layer in the freezer just need to know when i should spawn these jars:)

Reaper
Male

#23056351 - 03/28/16 07:33 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

tealseal said:
i shook them when they colonized the first time about 1.5 weeks ago, got the substrate and casting layer in the freezer just need to know when i should spawn these jars:)

They look ready to me.

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#23056974 - 03/28/16 10:06 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

TheDeathryderIsBac said:
Quote:

tealseal said:

They look ready to me.

thanks brother!!! i appreciate the response, i bought casting mix and pasteurized compost from shroom supply 2 5lb bags, it said if not using within 21 days to freeze it so i will pull it now... it takes 16 hrs to dethaw.

i asked if i can refreeze the other half if i dont use it all and was told he didnt know he has never tried it(the dude who runs the shroom supply) it should be fine right? if im careful and sterile and quick about it right??

what i was thinkin was once it dethaws enough to break off what ill need and throw the rest back in the freezer before it dethawed completely.... thoughts on that???

also might need someone to tell me if my idea for a bulk grow will work...

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#23057365 - 03/29/16 12:46 AM (8 years, 1 day ago)

soooo same pics i posted 2 posts above^^^ were golden teachers, i have 4 golden teacher cakes going atm, this on is done, i got another cake going to be done tomorrow morning, i also poured some agar plates for some cloning and other projects im working on, i got these going in the dehydrator. i will post a dry weight as well, wet weight is 25 grams atm, we shall see

this is my second harvest, and when i say that i mean my second cake:)
buuuut im wanting bigger more beautiful fruits so im going to be spawning my wbs here in the next day or soo, i hope u enjoy the pics as much as i do.

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
    #23057368 - 03/29/16 12:48 AM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

tealseal said:
soooo same pics i posted 2 posts above^^^ were golden teachers, i have 4 golden teacher cakes going atm, this on is done, i got another cake going to be done tomorrow morning, i also poured some agar plates for some cloning and other projects im working on, i got these going in the dehydrator. i will post a dry weight as well, wet weight is 25 grams atm, we shall see

buuuut im wanting bigger more beautiful fruits so im going to be spawning my wbs here in the next day or soo, i hope u enjoy the pics as much as i do.

im curious of the nutrition facts now

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: twistedty]
    #23057373 - 03/29/16 12:50 AM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
Quote:

tealseal said:

im curious of the nutrition facts now

i as well muahahahahhaaha

Reaper
Male

#23059568 - 03/29/16 03:29 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

I'm sure they're high in protien lol.  As for frozen substrates, I've never known anyone to do it, so I really can't give you an accurate prediction on whether or not it'll work out for you.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #23059576 - 03/29/16 03:33 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

tealseal said:

Sorry in advance for the language but holy fuck. Beautiful fruit off a cake. Stunning. Good work.

OfflineShamanstatus
Forever learning.
Male User Gallery

Loc: American Southwest Flag
Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: Adden]
    #23059591 - 03/29/16 03:40 PM (8 years, 1 day ago)

Looking solid from my inexperienced perspective.

--------------------
The Myc Life Chose Me.

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: Adden]
    #23281269 - 05/28/16 01:37 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dys said:
Quote:

tealseal said:

Sorry in advance for the language but holy fuck. Beautiful fruit off a cake. Stunning. Good work.

lol all good man sorry i havent been around, that was actually a pin that formed inside the jar, after the dnr, it just took off, biggest fruit ive had so far, but then again ive only grown 3 tubs lol

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

#23282501 - 05/28/16 08:01 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

thought id spice up my thread with some progressive shots of last few rounds

albino A+

this tub was 500 something grams wet, dried to 28 grams on the first flush and 18 dry on the second flush

Edited by tealseal (05/28/16 08:12 PM)

Offlinetealseal
spice of life ( o )( o )
Male

Re: first mushie grow, going for trial and error [Re: tealseal] * 1
    #23282503 - 05/28/16 08:02 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

mazapatec

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder