Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleI Love Lucid
Big Poppa
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Careers Focused on Hallucinogens [Re: topdog82]
    #22887782 - 02/10/16 02:01 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you, topdog, that really put things in perspective for me. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do, but I'll keep an open mind. I figure as long as I can enjoy what I do and I can try to find a work environment I'll enjoy, that I'll be content. And I don't need tons of money, I'd be happy with a teachers salary or something to that effect.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Careers Focused on Hallucinogens [Re: I Love Lucid]
    #22887826 - 02/10/16 02:16 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well like I said; theres a handful of fields that are very profitable. software, hardware, pre-med, pre-law, accounting and business

If you do one of those you are good to go

InvisibleI Love Lucid
Big Poppa

#22887851 - 02/10/16 02:22 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Out of those, business is the best bet. I'll keep that in mind.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#22887859 - 02/10/16 02:24 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Its possible, but an extremely long road.

The typical career to "study" psychedelics would be to obtain a BS, then a PhD, + postdoc. So you're looking at 4 years of college, another 5 for a PhD, then 3-5 for a post, and then you might find a position at a University to do research.

It's a long, hard road, to be sure. Alternatives would be to run the actual psychedelic sessions as a lab tech. That would be an easier route, but there are only a handful of labs doing that work in the US and the pay is low. Probably the best route would be to examine psychedelics in animal models. Again, the two choices are running the lab as the lead researcher, or doing it as a tech.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

#22887866 - 02/10/16 02:25 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I Love Lucid said:
Out of those, business is the best bet. I'll keep that in mind.

lol you are halfway there. now try and work on being the top 10% of your field while having some free time to read about psyches

and there you go. Your dream is almost true. Its that simple

Obviously from here, you would need to really take your job seriously and to be the best in your field, you need to work hard. But a balanced lifestyle is essential

Of that list, I believe that business is the least profitable and secure. I am the least knowledgable here on this so if someone could give advice on the current job market that would be nice

software dev is the most straightforward

OfflineEpigallo
Stranger
    #22887941 - 02/10/16 02:52 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

If you go to school for a Ph.D in biochemistry, pharmacology, neuroscience, or something like that, you may be able to choose a thesis that is closely related to or even focused on psychedelic states. I guess psychology even if you wanted to study them from a therapeutic perspective, which I think you stated you did not. If you studied botany at an advanced level I am sure you could do some research into classification of mushrooms or DMT-containing plants.

Will any of these lead to an actual job? Probably not. However, if you are really willing to put yourself out there you could make your own job. A Youtube channel. A quasi-legal supplier of "ethnobotanicals". An owner of the site like Shroomery.org.

It would be really tough to find something, but you could do it if this is really what you want to do.

InvisibleAlexestalex
fallen angel

Loc: heart of the sun
    #22887954 - 02/10/16 02:54 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I wish you luck OP.

A career focused on hallucinogens seems like a very niche job. Although I firmly believe psychiatry should focus more on studying psychedelics, the sad reality is that the pharmacological companies would much rather fund scientists to research other drugs. Getting a funding to study psychedelics seems extremely difficult but good luck nonetheless.

--------------------

Stay far from timid, only make moves when your heart's in it.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
    #22888021 - 02/10/16 03:11 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

topdog82 said:
I don't want to get all "when I was your age" on you...but here goes

I am a senoir in college. I am graduating a little late for my age. I spent time in community college figuring out what I wanted to do

I have a few tips
you aren't gonna wanna stick with psyches your whole life. I was obsessed with psyches freshman year. I spent a lot time being drugged up. But your interests switch. psyches are damn interesting but they are not something you can build a career or life out of. Or at least consistently. Maybe you don't see it this way, but what interests you now isn't going to interest you decades from now. Its the harsh truth. I was into weed as a freshman. It got old and now I hate it. you will change as you age. I switched my interests and major many times. But basing your entire life and paying 30k a year for four years for something that you are most likely going to lose interest in later in life is silly

focus on something profitable that you can build a career out of. Software, business, maybe econ, accouting. These are booming. Instead of mkaing a career out of your interest, make your career your interest

I hate software dev at first, but I learned to like it after 3 months. I would rather make 6 figures doing what I love; yoga, meditation, reading, doing psyches. But is that realistic? Fuck no. Step 1, is to get something thats profitable. Get your degree in something very employable and somewhat enjoyable in the long run.

then in your free time do what you enjoy. Reading, psyches etc. I enjoy the fuck out of yoga. But expecting yoga and other interests to pay the bills is silly. Who do you think is happier? Me who will earn 6 figures or a yoga instructor who barely making ends meet? trying being passionate with no water, food, and living in the cheap side of town getting robbed all day

Plus; imagine even if you got what you want. You literally just do psyches and talk and write about them everyday for YEARS. You would get sick of it pretty quick. I would get sick of yoga if I taught some dumbass how to do downward dog everyday multipl times a day for YEARS. it would lose its fun .theres more to life than yoga

So now I am in software dev which is interesting as hell. do I "love" it? Fuck no lol. But I enjoy my interests on my own time. This idea of making your passion your career is an american concept. I just disagree with it

My dad is a master salesmen. He enjoys it. But does he love it? Fuck no. He enjoys reading, and hiking and going on walks. How does one build a career out of going on walks, hiking and reading? It just is not going to work

tldr; look I know that feeling. You are passionate about psyches. I was too. But don't make the mistakes I made. Trying to make your passion your career is not going to work. You will change interests. I don't want to call you "naive" but you are 19. Every year as an adult, your interests, drives, and career expectations will dramatically change. Don't make the lifelong regret of paying 50-200k (depending on the college) for a degree that won't get you a job. Get a job first. Then use your spare time (weekends, mornings, evenings) on your interests

Listen to topdog this is why I am headed back to school.  I studied my passion and guess what... it doesn't pay enough for how I want to live.  Make enough money doing something that boosts how you spend your free time!

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Careers Focused on Hallucinogens [Re: PreparationH]
    #22888132 - 02/10/16 03:38 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I still say a writer is your best bet. You can trip out as much as you want and use those experiences to fuel your creations.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

I think the word is vagina

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Careers Focused on Hallucinogens [Re: PreparationH]
    #22888215 - 02/10/16 03:57 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PreparationH said:
Quote:

topdog82 said:
I don't want to get all "when I was your age" on you...but here goes

I am a senoir in college. I am graduating a little late for my age. I spent time in community college figuring out what I wanted to do

I have a few tips
you aren't gonna wanna stick with psyches your whole life. I was obsessed with psyches freshman year. I spent a lot time being drugged up. But your interests switch. psyches are damn interesting but they are not something you can build a career or life out of. Or at least consistently. Maybe you don't see it this way, but what interests you now isn't going to interest you decades from now. Its the harsh truth. I was into weed as a freshman. It got old and now I hate it. you will change as you age. I switched my interests and major many times. But basing your entire life and paying 30k a year for four years for something that you are most likely going to lose interest in later in life is silly

focus on something profitable that you can build a career out of. Software, business, maybe econ, accouting. These are booming. Instead of mkaing a career out of your interest, make your career your interest

I hate software dev at first, but I learned to like it after 3 months. I would rather make 6 figures doing what I love; yoga, meditation, reading, doing psyches. But is that realistic? Fuck no. Step 1, is to get something thats profitable. Get your degree in something very employable and somewhat enjoyable in the long run.

then in your free time do what you enjoy. Reading, psyches etc. I enjoy the fuck out of yoga. But expecting yoga and other interests to pay the bills is silly. Who do you think is happier? Me who will earn 6 figures or a yoga instructor who barely making ends meet? trying being passionate with no water, food, and living in the cheap side of town getting robbed all day

Plus; imagine even if you got what you want. You literally just do psyches and talk and write about them everyday for YEARS. You would get sick of it pretty quick. I would get sick of yoga if I taught some dumbass how to do downward dog everyday multipl times a day for YEARS. it would lose its fun .theres more to life than yoga

So now I am in software dev which is interesting as hell. do I "love" it? Fuck no lol. But I enjoy my interests on my own time. This idea of making your passion your career is an american concept. I just disagree with it

My dad is a master salesmen. He enjoys it. But does he love it? Fuck no. He enjoys reading, and hiking and going on walks. How does one build a career out of going on walks, hiking and reading? It just is not going to work

tldr; look I know that feeling. You are passionate about psyches. I was too. But don't make the mistakes I made. Trying to make your passion your career is not going to work. You will change interests. I don't want to call you "naive" but you are 19. Every year as an adult, your interests, drives, and career expectations will dramatically change. Don't make the lifelong regret of paying 50-200k (depending on the college) for a degree that won't get you a job. Get a job first. Then use your spare time (weekends, mornings, evenings) on your interests

Listen to topdog this is why I am headed back to school.  I studied my passion and guess what... it doesn't pay enough for how I want to live.  Make enough money doing something that boosts how you spend your free time!

curious; what was your major?

Offlinefennel acid tones
Student of Life

Loc: Great Lakes region
    #22888890 - 02/10/16 06:05 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

You could work with The Zendo Project, or work at the med tents at festivals. 

Ummm, options are kinda limited, because even the accredited professionals that try to involve themselves with psychedelics, like the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, have a tough time being perceived as more than raving hippies saying "MDMA CURES CANCER!" 

......which is unfortunate.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale