Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

problems and solutions
    #2287532 - 01/30/04 05:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"We know that the problems we face are not and have never arisen from a lack of accounting methodologies or industrial know-how...; the problems are denial, recalcitrance, and apathy. The solutions aren’t technical, but political. The solutions aren’t even political but social. The solutions aren’t even social but psychological. The solutions aren’t even psychological but perceptual. The solutions aren’t even perceptual but spiritual. The problem is our entire way of living and relating to the world." -Derrick Jensen exerpt from this essay http://www.derrickjensen.org/whales.html

Reactions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: problems and solutions [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2287534 - 01/30/04 06:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I must also include this section of the essay...

"If we are going to bear witness to the destruction of this beautiful planet that is our home, the least we can do is be honest with ourselves. We can for a start transform our fantasies from technical solutions that are not only inevitably insufficient but also flawed in their premise- the destruction is not and has never been rational, and is therefore not amenable to rational solutions-and start dreaming about stopping the destruction altogether. We can start dreaming about removing all of these barriers- perceptual, political, infrastructural- to living sustainably. We can start dreaming about doing the necessary work of physically stopping the perpetrators of the atrocities that characterize industrial civilization, and we can start dreaming about dismantling civilization itself. We can start dreaming about a day when we have begun a return to the land-based- and sane-way of life that has been our birthright from the beginning. Once we've begun to see and articulate a vision of what we do and don't want in our lives, we can get the fuck out of our self-imposed exile in our tiny boxes with our drawn curtains that keep us from seeing the very real world around us, we can stop masturbating, and we can start the real work of actualizing these dreams of living in a world not being killed before our eyes."

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #2289050 - 01/31/04 05:31 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yes I agree that we have traded the sense of community with each other and with nature for HYPER-individualism, and its not even a good kind, its not about thinking for yourself or being your own person, its about shopping and having all the newest stuff, being a ATOM OF CONSUMPTION is the individualism we have these days, and THIS I belive leads to our disconection with the world arond us,and the psychopathic behaviour that our species has reached in relation to the earth that sustains us.

R eal psychopathic behaviour is having NO connection to the horrible actions you are taking part in, as Terrence Mekenna said, and he to used this to describe our treatment of or planet.

That being said I agree
:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2289878 - 01/31/04 05:05 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I say! That was marvelous!! I'm going to applaud that article like the spectators at the end of the 'Bjork sings Downtown' song I downloaded!
clapclapclapclapwhoooooooo!clapclapclapclapclapwheeoooo!yeah!clapclap
clapclapclapclapclapclapyeeeah!whoooooooo!clapclapclapwheeeeoooooo!
clapclapclapclap...

...two minutes later...

...clapclapclapclap clap clap clap clap.

Good stuff. I dream about dismantling civilization itself. You'd think at this point in our society it'd be easier to work towards minimizing our ecological footprint (or whatever the phrase that those who wish to get elected use these days). I guess the problem is that, to quote a wise wise man "Once we start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny". Inertia doesn't just act on bodies at rest. A society in motion has a lot easier time continuing what it's doing than radically altering its course. But yeah, I'd say it's high time for a revolution. Mind you, I'd freeze to death without cheap oil, so let's wait until summer for this revolution, okay?

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: problems and solutions [Re: Panoramix]
    #2290955 - 02/01/04 02:51 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I like your point about intertia, and we've certainly built up a lot of that. It takes a great deal of courage to face ourselves and strip away the lies that have directed our actions and our identities for so long. So how bout we build some intertia in a new direction and take as many with us as we can? I agree that it's high time for revolution, so lets learn some fire building skills, dress real warm and remember what life really feels like. Fuck oil :smirk:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2291288 - 02/01/04 08:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I really like that quote. Everyone's actions revolve around their inner beliefs. If someone really holds inside a deep love for life and the oppurtunity we have here, it will manifest in their every action, which will have its effects on others around that person... Hopefully those people really develop an understanding of why it is important to live with that deep love of life and promoting the continuation of life, and they start to feel it resonating within them, and it carries down the grapevine...

It is all about the networking of ideas. The first step is implementing them in our own lives and then spreading them through the people that we interact with.. I really don't think we have to tear everything down and start all over, either. We are still in a position where change can flow through... we just have to push a little bit harder, is all. :wink:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: problems and solutions [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2291371 - 02/01/04 10:25 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"It is all about the networking of ideas. The first step is implementing them in our own lives and then spreading them through the people that we interact with.. I really don't think we have to tear everything down and start all over, either. We are still in a position where change can flow through... we just have to push a little bit harder, is all"  :thumbup:

no we don't have to tear things down, but we do need to get to an understanding at least.  I feel as though there is an essence to this planet that is slowly being torn away by us, and that just makes me wonder how nature is going to react.  We really shouldn't be THE caretakers of this planet, just one OF them.  all the other animals do their part and I think we should try our best not to fuck with it like we have been doing. 

all and all i think it wouldn't be too hard, but people jsut need to slow down a bit!  :smile2:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #2292419 - 02/01/04 09:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ah, the world's problems. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I'm not sure what I mean

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: problems and solutions [Re: Dogomush]
    #2293004 - 02/02/04 02:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

who said anything about problems? there are no problems just solutions :wink:

oh wait, that's right, blah is short for blah, which is the greek word for blah, which was originally intended for blah.  but I'm geting too far ahead of myself.  with all this blah going around, I still can't see the stars from where I am at, and I definately can't do a lot of the things I want to do.  oh well, so goes the ego...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: problems and solutions [Re: kaiowas]
    #2293378 - 02/02/04 06:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

As far as our ecological footprint is concerned: hydrogen powered vehicles could have been developed much earlier, but the oil lobby has too much influence over the <sarcasm> greatest government in the world </sarcasm>. That same government is holding back on a lot of developments, think signing the declaration of human rights, the Kyoto protocol, spiritual development beyond crusades, etc.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology