Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks.
    #22874149 - 02/07/16 06:20 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Bought far cry 4 yesterday on steam, with the false assumption that I'd run through steam. Oh ho no! I decided to write some friendly feedback to the uplay customer support staff.

---------------------------------------------------

I just want to play the game. 99% of other publishers trust steam with their software because they know it works. Make your software more user friendly (or abolish it and use steam like everyone else) or I'll be requesting a refund. Futhermore I'll be telling friends to boycott your platform, something that is becoming increasingly popular.

You know, I could just go on the piratebay and download a far cry 4 crack, I'm not bothered about online play at all, and then I could play the game. I could have done that, and downloaded the far cry 4 image file and played it for free. Frankly, Uplay is encouraging me to do that because I can't play the game that I paid money for. On steam. In the hope that by using steam, I could bypass your awful fucking digital restrictions management. I'm immensely frustrated, so I feel it's entirely valid to say it is awful fucking software.

You should abolish this make work project and make all of your catalogue available on steam, and in a press release say:

"we were immensely paranoid that people might be playing our games so in a meeting between computer programmers, accountants, lawyers and the devil we made a platform to rival steam, something that we were assured would really help with piracy, by preventing our users who made legitimate purchases from using their software.

In hindsight, this was a mistake, as it turned out our users were not masochists who enjoyed giving us money whilst we teased them with seductive game trailers for games that looked a lot of fun, but they couldn't play, thus, they stopped buying our games and downloaded them from piratebay instead (even though isp's assure us that the piratebay DNS is unresolvable).

As we are a company concerned with making money, we have carefully analysed the market and found people are happy using steam as a content delivery and DRM service, saying "I like how it works, unlike uplay, which can eat a dick. Seriously, fuck ubisoft, what were they thinking? Who thought this would be a good idea? I wouldn't be using it if it didn't insist on loading up with the games I wanted to play".

This is why we have now converted all of our existing and upcoming catalogue of games to run via steam, which has been proven as a secure distribution platform that our competitors trust. The resources we squandered on the uplay distribution platform can now be reinvested in future titles and customer support, in line with the wishes of our customers."

There you go. You don't need to credit me for this. I hope you make the right choice. Who knows? Maybe other companies with their DRM fetish that's hurting their business will follow suite and realise that customers are not the enemy, but people who give you the money so you can undertake these projects, which we're actually quite grateful for.

Maybe then "the club" might be a website I'd consider going to, after playing my game. Not before. Not because I'm trying to find how to resolve this irritating problem of "I can't connect to the uplay service (even though I can connect to your store, and do transactions. I see that part is working fine. Why would I want to buy MORE from you when I can't play with the things I already bought?)

[12:55:14] Mr Me: this was in response to their "Which feature should we change or improve in order to make The club more usable?"

[12:55:21] Mr Me: I'm so pissed off with this right now

[13:15:11] Mr Me: I find the lack of help, or an easily resolvable solution to my problem to be the biggest issue of contention. I have contacted customer support but I have not received a reply so I'm going to keep complaining until the issue is resolved.

I appreciate that if you're reading this you're thinking "We'll it's not my fucking fault". You're right, it's not your fucking fault. The fault lies in a fault DRM service that penalises legitimate consumers. Before steam came about, I used to use no-cd cracks because I hated having to hunt around for the physical media, I also didn't appreciate the noise. When steam came about, they offered a great service and since then I haven't been to the piratebay for games. You know why I like it? Because it works, and short of the internet going down, it continues to work. I can even go offline on it and continue playing games, why? Because I'm not treated like a fucking criminal.

So, you reading this, my frustration is not directed at you. It's directed entirely at this redundant content distribution network. I paid for Far Cry 4 on steam. I downloaded the game via steam. I did not buy it via uplay, and I wouldn't have. Why? Because this steaming pile of shit has given me nothing but grief in the past. I thought "oh, it's 2016, we're living in the future, it's a more enlightened time. Ubisoft cares about their profit, they're smart, they'll have abandoned uplay and gone with steam like everyone else"

Oh how wrong I was! Uplay if anything is worse than before, because, if you look at my account, you can see that I've played far cry 3. It did actually work back then. Now it doesn't.

Maybe you think I'm overreacting. Maybe you'll pop your head out from your desk, talk to a college, and say "Look at this dunderhead, look at the long email he wrote complaining about our service. Everyone and their dog can use our service but he can't and he makes it sound like it's the end of the world."

Well, right now, my day was going fine. I was looking forward to playing my newly purchased game before I go to work, maybe I'd even talk with my colleagues about "Oh far cry 4 is fun, I liked this about it." but I can't. Because I'm sat here, writing this to you. If the conversation does go onto entertainment, I'll be saying "don't buy anything ubisoft, their uplay activation process is fucked, just go on the piratebay instead."

Maybe I'm over-reacting. I'm sure some people who read this will think so, and then dismiss it, but just think, for every bit of feedback, try and imagine how many simply didn't bother, just went "fuck this" and proceeded to get a refund, then play the game anyway because they actually like your games, just not your DRM. I was simply tempted to do that, but instead I'm writing because I actually care. I think the far cry games are great. I wish other game designers would realise that we like beautiful environments, and the sense of freedom hang-gliding or ziplining along entails. Crytek have done a superb job and they have nothing but praise.

I really, really would like to play this game. I have seen let's play videos of it, and it looks like a game I want to play.

I purchased this game on the 6th of February. Steam refund policy means I can get a refund 14 days later. I don't actually want to go through the process, but if this issue is not resolved by tuesday the 9th, I will submit the request. I'll probably not bother playing it myself. Maybe I'll have a let's play video so I can see the whole story running in the background whilst I play another game, a non-ubisoft game. A game made by a company that does not punish the consumer.

You might not consider it punishment, but the incompetence of your uplay platform is punishing me for the crime of giving you money, when I could have (like I stated before) just downloaded the game for free in a torrent and used a crack to bypass your god-awful DRM scam.

I don't feel I have sworn enough in this reply because I'm trying to be respectful to your customer service staff who are not to blame for this. In which case, I would like you to shout (preferably whilst throwing office supplies, staplers hurt quite a lot) at those responsible:

"Fuck you. Shitbags. Bollock breathed imbeciles. Cuntmongering monkeys. Arseholes. Twats, Wankers. Shower of bastards."

Use at your discretion.

--------------------

Edited by Visionary Tools (02/07/16 06:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #22874211 - 02/07/16 07:19 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I found a fix. Apparently uplay has to update to the latest version or it won't work.

Thing is, when Uplay starts up? First thing it does is, check for updates! Wouldn't it be nice if checking for updates meant that it will actually check, find and download those updates.

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#22874345 - 02/07/16 08:35 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Right. Got the game, played it, got about 50 minutes into it, I'm playing the singleplayer campaign. It kicks me out because I've lost connection to the uplay servers.

Refund request sent. Fuck ubisoft. Seriously, fuck them hard with a sandpaper condom.

--------------------

Offlinedaz01
Learning
I'm a teapot

Loc: Scotland
    #22876038 - 02/07/16 04:29 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

TLDR it all.

But yes, every game developer game platform launcher SUCKS. Ubisoft is especially bad. All there recent games are a pile of shit, mainly made for console users that will buy anything that looks new on the outside, and is fun on the most basic level.

Stick to Steam. Steam is AWESOME. I've heard of a few problems with Steam but 99% of users love it. That's why it's so popular. I only buy my games on Steam, now. Thousands of incredible CHEAP indie titles on Steam as well
Even better is the recent refund policy!

--------------------
Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour or a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it will last forever.

Edited by daz01 (02/07/16 04:30 PM)

InvisibleJohn NadaDiscord
Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
Loc: Hotwings; race car
    #22877308 - 02/07/16 10:00 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Steam sucks dick too. If I pay for a game I want it to run on it's own, not have to run it within Steam. I think that's a shitty way to do things, and I'm probably not gonna buy anything else through them.

Offlinedaz01
Learning
I'm a teapot

Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: John Nada]
    #22877330 - 02/07/16 10:07 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Well, no choices for you anymore my friend. I am sure all PC games require some kind of online connection, Steam is just the best and easiest choice at the moment.
I am pretty sure also, that consoles XBOX1 and PS4 require online connections to play single player games.

Only choice for you, I am afraid, is to go back to retro or older consoles, such as PS1 or PS2.

--------------------
Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour or a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it will last forever.

Edited by daz01 (02/07/16 10:08 PM)

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: daz01]
    #22878375 - 02/08/16 09:43 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

or you can get stuff from gog.com, it's not just old games (although I did pick up settlers 2 and tyrian there) and there's no DRM whatsoever.

You know, at first I didn't get steam because I'm not interested in half life (eh, I like strategy games, wasn't interested in a mute psychopathic janitor with a crowbar) but then I saw this game called audiosurf

Came on steam and at the time I thought, eh, it didn't cost much, so it doesn't matter. Then some other game I got, needed steam, and, you know what? I used to get all my games via piratebay because 1: Didn't have to buy it 2:Didn't need a cd in the drive!

Steam has sales, I never have to bother with CD/DVD's anymore (I do when ripping an album) and it's never, ever bothered me, not in over 11 years of using it.

--------------------

Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
    #22878428 - 02/08/16 10:03 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think GOG requires a special client like Steam does. Regardless though, I just don't have to support Steam is all. You might as well tell me I have to buy an iPhone because of their popularity, or that I can only watch movies on Netflix, haha. Not using a shitty service or product I don't like is more important to me than playing video games anyway. Steam sucks, so fuck em.

Offlinedaz01
Learning
I'm a teapot

Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: John Nada]
    #22881629 - 02/09/16 04:21 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

John Nada said:
I don't think GOG requires a special client like Steam does. Regardless though, I just don't have to support Steam is all. You might as well tell me I have to buy an iPhone because of their popularity, or that I can only watch movies on Netflix, haha. Not using a shitty service or product I don't like is more important to me than playing video games anyway. Steam sucks, so fuck em.

iPhone and Netflix have many, many different successful competitors. Steam does not and is the best at what it does. I don't see why you are hating Steam, are you a hipster?
Do you only hate the popular things?

--------------------

Edited by daz01 (02/09/16 04:21 AM)

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
    #22886267 - 02/10/16 05:17 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Steam masterrace

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: Beanhead]
    #22898772 - 02/13/16 05:27 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

I hated steam when it first came around and was forced on me with half life 2.

Now I hate steam because they keep making me spend money on games I dont have enough time to play!  *SHAKES FIST AT SKY*  CURSE YOU  EVIL SKYLORD GABE NEWEL. CUUURRRSEE YOUUU.

But at least they have that awesomesauce refund thing now.  They didn't have that not to long ago and it felt shitty to buy a game and have it not work, or be a pile of broken ass like some dev's love to release. 

Now if only I could find a way to stop buying games during sales.

CURSE YOU.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: mndfreeze]
    #22898773 - 02/13/16 05:27 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

p.s.. I like steam now.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Toujours Frais
 User Gallery
    #22943005 - 02/24/16 11:39 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daz01 said:
Quote:

John Nada said:

iPhone and Netflix have many, many different successful competitors. Steam does not and is the best at what it does. I don't see why you are hating Steam, are you a hipster?
Do you only hate the popular things?

Haha, why would I hate something simply because it's popular? Mainly I just don't want everything in any industry to be controlled or manipulated by a single company. Monopolies are only good for the people running them, and a disadvantage to everyone else. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you. Beyond all that though, like I said, Steam's client is also just shitty bloated software, and you shouldn't have to use a 3rd party service to play a game when there's no real reason to anyway. The whole thing is fucked and it's a stupid way to do things in the first place. So I just simply won't partake in a service I don't like, now get mad about it some more. I don't see why you blindly support Steam so hard, are you some kind of mindless drone fanboy, hipster? Do you only like things that other people tell you to?

InvisibleJufin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #22943493 - 02/25/16 04:06 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daz01 said:
TLDR it all.

But yes, every game developer game platform launcher SUCKS. Ubisoft is especially bad. All there recent games are a pile of shit, mainly made for console users that will buy anything that looks new on the outside, and is fun on the most basic level.

Stick to Steam. Steam is AWESOME. I've heard of a few problems with Steam but 99% of users love it. That's why it's so popular. I only buy my games on Steam, now. Thousands of incredible CHEAP indie titles on Steam as well
Even better is the recent refund policy!

Even if you buy Ubisoft games on Steam, it runs them through Uplay.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Uplay can eat a bag of festering dicks. [Re: Jufin]
    #22946311 - 02/25/16 07:43 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

As I have now learnt, wait..

I have anno 1404 which was published by uplay and I'm pretty sure it doesn't bring up uplay to play it. So, they can do it.

But, unless they're like crytek and release a special edition like they did with Crysis maximum edition, then there's little hope. I really like blue byte games, despite how hard some are, and I got the settlers 2 anniversary edition through gog because that game is still awesome (especially if you want a really casual, laid back game where you're just making a settlement. Like banished, but less hostile)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss, Shroomism, CookieCrumbs
1,916 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.