Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrego
Stranger
Tripping off of rye bread?
    #2287075 - 01/30/04 12:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Today in my history class while discussing the Salem Witch Trials, my teacher mentioned that many people believe a hallucinogenic fungus growing on rye bread was cause for all the crazyness. Apparently the girls who accused women of being witches may have just been hallucinating their mystical powers. Amazed by this, i immediately did some research on the subject online without too much success. If anyone could provide some good information on this (i also heard about tripping off of old books), I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Greg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: grego]
    #2287082 - 01/30/04 12:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

InvisibleInfinite_fractal
Yourang........?

#2287085 - 01/30/04 12:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Haha ergot is very fatal, only if you want to loose a limb or two. When you think of ergot think of gangreen. ergot = deadly

get some LSA seeds, the ergot fungus on rye has LSA but other ergot things (accounting for the ergotism (sp?)).

You will die if you eat rye ergot fungus.

Invisibleshriek

#2287135 - 01/30/04 12:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

therte is a chance of dying but you wont automaticly die, but you prolly gonna get real sick , use the seach function and read prev posts on this subject.
intresting reading;
http://www.globaltown.com/shawn/eleusis.html

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2287236 - 01/30/04 01:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The research they did to try and show that ergot (ergotamine poisoning) was the cause of many witch burnings throughout the world is very interesting. By plottings where witch burnings occured, and matching that up to the weather in the region, they were able to show causality between very wet seasons and witch burning. Ergot, which is a fungus that grows on rye, thrives during wet seasons. Ingested bread made from contaminated rye causes severe hallucinations, intense pain, muscle spasms, etc.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: Seuss]
    #2287852 - 01/30/04 06:20 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Remember that thread were somebody tried to say that they made acid by buring rye bread for a couple months. :nut:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2288402 - 01/30/04 09:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Somewhere posted somewhere on this site is an ergot LSD pictorial and a brief history of St. Anthony, His association with bell, book and candle, many black and white ass well as photos of the small purple mushroom known as Claviceps purpurea.

If you cannot find it then try Mycotopia's board and ask Hippie3 if he can locate the one I posted there.

However, there are several series here on file at the shroomery. I, myself, have the worst luck trying to find my stuff posted here by using the search engines. ITs a bitch rewriting it and placing all of the images.

And it most likely was not ergot which occured in Salem siince ergot infects rye grains and most of the cereals and breads in New England were whole grain and brand. Or Corn as in the south. Thats why Europe had ergotism in large communities as opposed to England which had little rye whatsoever.

In the late 1700s into the mid 1800s, the French learned what caused the ergotism (two forms, one fire and burning and the other form as gangrenous). They also learned how to stop it. They also learn in medincine that small amounts of ergot alkaloids would stop post partum hemoraging in women during child birth. Many mothers died throughout history during childbirth because no one, not even the mid-wives, knew how to stop the bleeding.

Then the French created several ergot compounds to controll the bleeding. They also learned that in smaller minute amounts it could also bring on childbirth or cause one to abort a birth.

Research in ergot continued from the early 1900s to the mid-1930s or so when Dr. Albert Hofmann, who was working on his 25th experiment learned he had created LSD. He put it on the shelf for several years and then some leaked into his fingers and he became the Father of LSD.

LSD was also most likely the KyKeon of the Ancient Greek Mysteries held at the Temple of Dionysius in the Eleussian Fields.

Even the Emperor of Rome, Marcus Aeruleus was alleged to have travel the road to Eleusis from Athens to partake as an initiary of this sacred potion which caused those who drannk it to see and hear things no one else had seen or heard before.

There is much mystery behind all of this and we can only began to try to speculate and even comprehend what really occurred two thousand or more years ago.

But this was not part of Salem. Additionally I would like to point out that the mid 1950s a report of a large alleged ergotism poisoning which occurred in Southern France has since been determined to have been caused by some form of Mercury poisoning and not from Ergot. That particular incident was the basis for the book, St. Anthony's Fire.

As I noted about this man earlier. During the large ergotism outbreaks in Europe in the 14-16th Centuries, the Churches set up clinics to help the afflicted citizens and became known as the Order of St. Anthony. A priest known from the 2nd century who had an affinity with Animals.

St. Anthony was also know for carrying Bell, Book and Candles with him.

Those are familars in witchcraft. The movie Bell, Book and Candle with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak eventualll;y became the basis for the tv series Bewitched.

And thus it became known as St. Anthony's Fire.

But that is only one small anomaly in the history of this plant entheogen.

Here as a teaser is one picture of this microscopic purple mushroom.

And by the way, You cannot trip off of rye bread.

However, one of the rye grains from the middle east which Albert Hofmann examined was found to contain lysergic acid amides when strained with common water. The water apparently killed the ergotism poisoning in the selected samples soaked in water.

Now I rambled a lecture to you. sorry for the rant.

mj

mj

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2288434 - 01/30/04 09:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

wow that pic is crazy. I never knew mushrooms could be so small!! thx for the info MJ.

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: Osker246]
    #2289038 - 01/31/04 03:22 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

listen to m.j. he is the man - and no you can't trip off of rye bread or whatevever this thread started as. thanks for the info and the history m.j. !

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: DSD]
    #2289202 - 01/31/04 06:24 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

are those shrooms growing on a rye grain in that pic? :blush:
if so, madcore ~_~

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: Merkin]
    #2289221 - 01/31/04 06:59 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

No they are growing on the sclerotum of the rye grain wi hich is the ergot infestation.

AS I mentioned somewhere in these pags here are a few scattered stories of the ergot and pictures I posted agges ago.

,mj

OfflineSeaShrooms
The dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hitchhiking
Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: Infinite_fractal]
    #5087795 - 12/20/05 10:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

ergot contains lsd, chemcically alter it so its only lsd, lsa is different

--------------------
The life of a condemned soul is hatred.

Invisibleabrad84
Stranger
Male

Re: Tripping off of rye bread? [Re: SeaShrooms]
    #5088165 - 12/21/05 12:20 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

SeaShrooms said:
ergot contains lsd, chemcically alter it so its only lsd, lsa is different

Ergot does not contain LSD. I contains various ergot alkaloids but not LSD and it is poisonous, do a search for St. Anthonys Fire.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom