Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

a Q pertaining to generations
    #2286890 - 01/30/04 01:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

is there any noticable difference in yeild from one generation to another? any sort of pattern? for instance, if i use spores from my first op to start my second one, and the yeild is much bigger, might i attribute that to the cakes being second generation? or has it nothing to do with that at all?

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: a Q pertaining to generations [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #2286900 - 01/30/04 01:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Spores contain genetic photocopies. There should be no evolution between generations in this sense. This is why people take prints from their best fruits, right?

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

Re: a Q pertaining to generations [Re: Che_Night_Soil]
    #2286947 - 01/30/04 01:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

but, if all the mushrooms come from the same spores, aren't they all genetically identical anyway? maybe i'm way off here.

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #2287097 - 01/30/04 02:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Not if a multi-spore solution is used.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Offlinegreenplato
boogeyman

#2287323 - 01/30/04 04:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hevvy_psi said:
but, if all the mushrooms come from the same spores, aren't they all genetically identical anyway? maybe i'm way off here.

You're off track here...

If you had the same mother and father, you and all your brothers and sisters will be genetically identical, right? No, and this is obvious to us because these are familiar concepts. But fungal reproduction is less obvious because it is less familiar to most people.

So... some basic concepts for basidiomycota (mushroom-producing fungus). Any mycologists out there please correct me. Spores are haploid (or unikaryotic), either "male" or "female" in familiar terms. They contain half the genetic material to make a reproductive unit. They disperse and germinate in a substrate. The mycelium that grows from the spore remains haploid, until it bumps into a strand of mycelium of the opposite type. Then, the first miracle of life occurs (with the help of a little Barry White and a bottle of wine): Plasmogamy. Plasmogamy is the fusion of the male and female cells, but without the fusion of the cell nuclei (the genetic material remains separate).

This new dikariotic mycelium (made of cells containing two haploid nuclei) grows aggressively and crowds out the haploid mycelium. This mycleium has the chromosomes of the "male" and "female" parts, but they have not yet combined to make viable offspring. This is where the mushroom comes into play. The mushroom grows from the dikaryotic mycelium; its gills are lined with cells called basidium that produce spores. In the basidia, the second miracle of life happens (more wine, more Barry White): Karyogamy. The "male" and "female" nuclei finally fuse; diverse genetic material comes together to make a complete diploid cell. In these diploid basidium meiosis takes place. This is when the two groups of chromosomes containing the genetic material from both "male" and "female" parents combine and split up in a series of partner swaps that can result in genetic diversity in the four haploid spore cells (basidiospores) that form on the ends on the basidium.

These four spores, from each of the tens of thousands of basidium in the gills of the mushroom are in your spore print. Each one is as genetically diverse as you are from your brothers and sisters.

These are complicated and somewhat alien ideas; I've tried to be simple but it still might take you some time to "get it". Here's a good picture of all of this fungal bump-n-grind: http://www.ntu.ac.uk/life/sh/modules/hlx202/Lectures/agaricus.gif

Anonymous

#2287468 - 01/30/04 05:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

all I can say is clone you biggest fruit and keep doing that that way you know what your basic outcome will be gathering that all of the conditions of growing where idenical

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation