Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

Loc: Wild west
New mushie spores :)
    #22864877 - 02/04/16 06:44 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So . I've been growing for a few years now.. usually with pink buffalo , Cambodian, b+ , John Allen, golden teachers . I just ordered some new spores ~ blue Melanie , lizard king , creeper and transkie

Wonder if anyone has pictures and or info about these new (to me) strains . . 

Having had anything to trip off in about a year everything has been going bad. , so I threw out all my old equipment and got new stuff ..(still need my Malverde  statue) lol
... yeah I'm if it was my pressure cooker that was fucked up or my water content or the temp.. it has been pretty cold lately.
My old jars didn't have a lot of contamination at all out of like 12 jar there was one with a yellow mold

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New mushie spores :) [Re: Ganja jay]
    #22864892 - 02/04/16 06:47 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

they're not strains they're varieties. you don't have strains until the spores mate and make mycelium. some strains will be good others will be shit. if you grow from spores you get average results because you will have a mix of hundreds of strains. you can mix different varieties together if you would like the spores don't know any different

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

Re: New mushie spores :) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #22864935 - 02/04/16 07:00 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

So wait . Your saying until my spores meet and form the actual mycelium it's not considered a strain ?  So I have a variety of lizard king ?
And when I do have my jars colonized with let's say lizard kind then I can say I have a lizard king strain ?
Mixing varieties? As in when I inoc with syringe. Like 1cc of LK and 1cc of PB in the same jar ? (Sound awesome)  never even thought of something like that
Is that why it's not considered a strain because I can (Idk the correct word for this ) mutate , infuse 2 varieties to get a strain ..
Sorry just asking questions. Wanna get all the information I've been missing out on (just made my account finally so I can post lol

And if I did mix 2 varieties when the spores meet dose that mean I created a new strain?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22864947 - 02/04/16 07:03 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

varieties are just spore to spore lineages. they're like a race of cubensis. when you squirt the spores of any variety into a jar you'll end up with 100s of strains. every two spores that successfully mate = a strain. some strains are good some strains suck.

if you mix two varieties all you end up with is cubes. if you're lucky and have something like an albino variety of cubes and a regular variety you can get a varietal hybrid with a lot of work that might resemble both of them. this only really works with the "Special" varieties of cubensis that have a mutation worked in. like the cubes that throw out brown spores rather than black or the varieties that grow albinos. those spores can still put out normal looking cubes, but they're effectively a new race. and of course asians can fuck blacks.

OfflineGanja jay
Product of mother nature
Female

#22864965 - 02/04/16 07:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Lol fashion thank you for the lesson the guy that showed Me to grow was always like "a cube is a cube" never really got down lol.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22864969 - 02/04/16 07:08 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yea dude all of those varieties have the same potential for yeild and potency. Same growing parameters. They'll differ cosmetically.

To get an individual strain, you have to grow out your spores on agar plates and make transfers untill you see sectoring. You would then isolate each individual sector, and then keep making transfers until they are isolated individual strains that dont sector.

To keep one of those isolated strains you have to keep iy as a live culture. If you were to take a spore print from one and grow it out it would be like hitting a reset button.

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #22864981 - 02/04/16 07:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

a cube is a cube is useful to show that you won't be getting better results by switching up the variety.

but a cube isn't a cube.

if you have a wild cubensis mushroom and you take a print. it has a very high heterozygoticity. that is the genes in it are diverse. it has the potential to make all sorts of shit tall short fat slow potent weak etc....

you grow it out. and you take a spore print from the mushroom with the darkest cap. take those spores do another grow from spores. do the same thing over and over and over. this will slowly go towards homozygoticity. that is less diverse genes. you're ensuring that the genes for dark caps are being increased and pale caps might be starting to get weeded out, they get rare.

this is now a variety. it tends to have dark caps. BUT it still has the potential to grow awesome mushrooms or shit ones if you grow from spores. spores are not reliable results it resets the genetic lottery, a variety might have very striking visual differences but the genetics are 99.99% the same as any other variety of cubes.

to get good cubes most of us will use agar and clone. the last link in my signature is all about agar for mycology

the mushrooms that grow from a grow started with spores. those mushrooms might be made up of more than one strain.
an isolate is a single strain, that is the set of genetics caused by one set of spores mating. you can get isolates there's fractions of a percentage of awesome cultures for the shitty cultures that exist. a great isolate is hard to find. you're much better off with a clone. those are genetics that are already proven.

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #22865042 - 02/04/16 07:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Yea clones are  pretty awesome.

But good isolate is worth its weight in gold
I have 25 PE isolates right now from one original culture  that are gunna need testing soon. Im sure only one or two will be keepers

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #22865048 - 02/04/16 07:31 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
there is a sticky for strain discussion....and a whole forum for it now

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder