Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon DXM, Toilet Paper, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemikeyb
Stranger
Bad trip /panic attacks / help?
    #2285755 - 01/30/04 12:51 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well ive been smoking for a year now and have gone through alot of stress. I took some caps about 2 months ago alone ( i know bad mistake ) and i started freaking out - heartbeat was up there - chest felt all tight - a panic attack - I thought i was going to die but kept telling myself ill be ok because i didnt take that much - but i did smoke right before it hit me.

Now i went to the doctor to get help for my panic attacks and have been fine but ever since that day when i smoke i get panic attacks while smoking. My heart beats fast i freak out my chest gets all tight fingers get tingely (sp?)

Has anyone ever heard of this? I since stopped smoking a month ago because i wasent enjoying it anymore... will this last? will i go back to normal with time and not smoking?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGorian
Learning the artof Shroom

Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: mikeyb]
    #2285767 - 01/30/04 12:56 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, a month maximum and the shroud of the pot in your head will dissapear and you will be normal.

--------------------

Offlinemikeyb
Stranger
Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: Gorian]
    #2285771 - 01/30/04 12:57 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

thanks im going to hold out 2-3 months before i toke again - i dont wanna give it up forever - i hope it will be ok

thanks for your reply

InvisibleAdden
Buttermilk Love Nugget
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #2285808 - 01/30/04 01:16 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

When I did DXM a lot I only smoked really chemi, dense nuggets. I had a few bad trips in my span of DXM useage, one time even suffering from seratonin syndrome. It was a tough night to get myself through, FAR worse I can guarantee you.

Whenever I smoked chemi pot, I'd freakout. It was trip-anxiety and a panic attack mixed into one. I couldn't smoke it for the longest time.

I solved a few deeply rooted personal problems and came to terms with a lot of things. I told myself that I always loved pot, and a few bad trips weren't going to ruin the herb for me. I stuck it out, eventually it stopped, and I had a few (light at first) trips to see if I could handle it. I'm able to smoke chemi nugs again, and trip, and my panic attacks/insomnia have essentially stopped. I'm on meds for anxiety now anyway. In hindsight, I shouldn't have tripped with my anxiety problem and my life would have been easier. But, with a little bit of work, it's fun again. It takes me more to trip, but I have great ones, as opposed to the quality before.

Start viewing that night as a night of healing, rather than a night of terror/pain/what-have-you. Something inside your mind must have sparked it. You may need to find this demon and face it. If you can, I can almost guarantee your problems will disappear.

Meditation and controlled breathing are excellent for panic attacks. Before I saw a doc, I spent about 10 mins a night and focused my energy on my inner symbol. I associated very good, positive feelings with this symbol. Eventually, after flooding it with all of these positive emotions, I'd feel positive when I thought of it. It stopped panic attacks dead in their tracks and I never had to face benzo addiction/withdrawl.

You smoked *right* before it hit you? Instead of associating this panic feeling with marijuana or tripping, train yourself to associate it with the fact you were by yourself tripping very hard. I got over my residual DXM panic attacks by consciously focusing my mind into remembering that this is the feeling I get *only* when I do DXM. You may want to tell yourself the feeling you get is one you get when you're alone on a trip and freaking out. You can be alone on a trip and not go through this. You can smoke pot and not go through this. You can live your life without this weight on your shoulders.

It was a bad night. Stand up to it! You can beat it. You're stronger than a drug. The human brain is amazing in how it can affect the body. Start affecting your body positively.

--------------------

Outdoor Mushroom Cultivation
"He who seeks revenge best dig two graves.."
The Official Woodlovers Thread

Offlinemikeyb
Stranger
Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: Adden]
    #2286832 - 01/30/04 12:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

awesome post man just what i needed to hear!

Thanks for the great input

InvisibleAdden
Buttermilk Love Nugget

#2286911 - 01/30/04 01:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No problem boss, if you ever need anything feel free to PM me, welcome to the boards btw. Hope to see you around and posting :wink:

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: Adden]
    #2287337 - 01/30/04 04:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

s2dope said:
When I did DXM a lot I only smoked really chemi, dense nuggets. I had a few bad trips in my span of DXM useage, one time even suffering from seratonin syndrome. It was a tough night to get myself through, FAR worse I can guarantee you.

What is seratonin syndrome?

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

InvisibleAdden
Buttermilk Love Nugget

Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: Harbinger]
    #2288098 - 01/30/04 10:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

From erowid.org:

Serotonin syndrome is a recently-identified condition that typically occurs when combining serotonergic drugs (i.e., drugs that stimulate, or mimic, serotonin activity in the brain). Most of these drugs are antidepressants (MAOIs, SSRIs such as ProzacTM or ZoloftTM, tricyclics, lithium, and atypical antidepressants); others include buspirone (BuSparTM), MDMA (ecstasy) and other phenethylamines, tryptophan, harmine and harmaline (both recreational MAOIs), and possibly serotonergic hallucinogens such as LSD, psilocybin, and DMT. Phentermine, fenfulramine, and phen-fen can also cause serotonin syndrome when combined with DXM.

DXM induces a release of serotonin, and while it has never been demonstrated to cause serotonin syndrome by itself, it has been shown to do so in combination with other serotonergics (365). In particular, combining SSRIs and DXM may be risky; one paper found serotonin syndrome from an SSRI combined with DXM with a concurrent vascular disease (364).

Serotonin syndrome is indicated by a combination of three sets of symptoms: changes in mental status, autonomic dysfunction, and neuromuscular abnormalities. Specific symptoms include:

Changes in Mental Status
hypomania
confusion
agitation
Autonomic Dysfunction
diarrhea
low-grade fever
diaphoresis (sweating)
shivering
Neuromuscular Abnormalities
myoclonus (sudden, brief muscle spasms)
hyperreflexia (exagerrated reflexes)
ataxia (incoordination and clumsiness)
Yes, there is some overlap (e.g., shivering can considered as an autonomic dysfunction or a neuromuscular abnormality).

More serious symptoms can include rhabdomyolysis (basically, your muscle cells break open and leak muscle-cell-parts into your bloodstream, poisoning you), coma, and death. Serotonin syndrome deaths are rare, however.

Treatment of serotonin syndrome requires medical intervention, and consists of supporting measures to treat the symptoms, and possibly antiserotonergic drugs. Benzodiazepines (such as ValiumTM) have also been used with considerable success (366).

The astute among you will notice that many of these "symptoms" are characteristics of DXM intoxication. In fact, many serotonergic drugs can cause these symptoms. The question is whether or not the symptoms become severe and numerous. At least one symptom from each of the three categories is generally required for a diagnosis of serotonin syndrome.

Once again, if in doubt, see a doctor. And avoid using DXM in combination with any antidepressant. Remember, combining DXM with a MAOI has been repeatedly fatal!

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #2288137 - 01/30/04 10:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Same thing happened to me, I quit the pot and am still getting back to normal now, 6 months later.

I smoke it every so often with minor effects depending on the situation, I don't think it's Serotonin syndrome (unless you mean that was what prompted your freakouts s2dope).
For me it was all about the previous experiences while smoking pot, all highstress situations, really not even fun with or without pot.

Take your panic attacks as your body sending you a message, a learned response and listen to it. Go back to it when you feel you are ready, but don't shrug it off, it will only get worse.
Best of luck mikey

--------------------

Offlinemikeyb
Stranger
Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: blink]
    #2289312 - 01/31/04 11:01 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

thanks blink - i was worried maybe i couldnt smoke anymore with these feelings when i did smoke - but hopefully in time with eating right and exercising i will be ok in a few months. I was very stressed and smoked to calim down but found thats bad...

All in good time i guess - thanks guys

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2290633 - 01/31/04 10:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

its all very interesting - there are a number of biological conditions that can suddenly induce anxiety issues. I would get your fasting sugar levels, liver function, heart function and thyroid function tested to be sure there isnt an underlying problem.
Serotinin syndrome sounds quite interesting - does it lst or only occur during the intoxication of these agents>?

--------------------

Offlinemikeyb
Stranger
Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2290764 - 02/01/04 12:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

been to the doctor - he tested everything with my blood tests and came back all good - im in goos shape he said its all mental

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#2290993 - 02/01/04 03:20 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Get a second opinion. Doctors cannot demonstrate from one blood test a whole hell of a lot. They make an assumption that if something was wrong that a small isolated test of a few variables in your blood will show it.
Ofcourse the human body isnt a machine and everyone is different - what might be normal for one person may be very abnormal for someone else.
Start looking at what might be causing the problems - diet or just psychoactives. Try valerian - it works wonders.

--------------------

Offlinemikeyb
Stranger
Re: Bad trip /panic attacks / help? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2292478 - 02/01/04 09:48 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

tried that - been to the doctor a few times and did many tests

heart monitering - blood tests (more then once) - chest xrays... I was put on medication for stress and the panic attacks and have been feeling great since. I was depressed and stressed out at the time.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#2313530 - 02/08/04 03:36 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

good luck with it then.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds   Amazon DXM, Toilet Paper, Valerian Root

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience