Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

Well I screwed up, I think?
    #2284045 - 01/29/04 03:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I started my jars on nov 16 but failed to incubate them at 86 degrees untill like 2 weeks ago when found a fish tank heater. Its a little crappy one without a temp gage but I figured it would work so I put it in a glass of water, without covering the glass, in the cooler where I kept my jars. I didnt even think about the fact that when the heater heated the water it would make it very humid inside the cooler. So i left it like that for like a week and the jars did fine untill the humidity leaked into the jars. 2 days ago growth stopped completely and the jars mycelium turned greyish so I figured Id open one jar up to have a look and when I broke the cake apart the middle wasnt white and fuzzy, but grey and nasty and the smell was not all bad, but sorta like mushrooms that had rotted out. So I am scrapping all of my jars accept for 2 which I just innoculated last week with the spores from one cake that made it through. Was it a smart Idea to trash those jars and start over? I didnt know what else to do so im guessing that was the best option. The strain Im using is PESA. Is that a hard strain for a beginner to cultivate. Any info regarding anything my situation would be tight. I also figured that if I covered the glass with tin foil it would solve my humidity problem untill I can afford to buy another bin to make a better incubation chamber. Thanks for any input.

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

I dont really grow mushrooms, Im just here because Im bored and have nothing else better to do!

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Well I screwed up, I think? [Re: Akrobatik]
    #2284117 - 01/29/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You definitely did the right thing with scrapping the jars, you don't want to mess with any possible contamination. Also, you don't need to buy another bin. Incubating at 86? is the optimal temperature for mycelium growth but if it's colder it will only slow growth, not hurt it (unless the temperature gets really low). Inoculate your jars as usual, make sure to stay sterile, and just cover them with a blanket in the bin after you sterilize them.

And PESA is a fine strain to start out with.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Anonymous

Re: Well I screwed up, I think? [Re: Akrobatik]
    #2284120 - 01/29/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you sound like you are doing the right thing good luck

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

Re: Well I screwed up, I think? [Re: fee]
    #2284210 - 01/29/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks guys

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation