Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Jealous Rage - Pathology or Primal Programming?
    #2281312 - 01/28/04 05:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When a man loses his mate to another man, (a la O.J. Simpson and others) and goes into a rage, is it a sign of mental pathology or a primal instinct to preserve one's DNA (through their chosen mate) that is so deep that it will override social convention, morality, thoughts of self-preservation; etc.?

Some psychologists say that jealousy is of the ego and a sign of insecurity, but is it? Yes, the emotion can be controlled, but not easily. However, most other mammals will go into a similar rage.

Is much of mental illness caused by trying to reconcile our three major sub-brains formed during different evolutionary periods plus the added layer of enculturation?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Jealous Rage - Pathology or Primal Programming? [Re: Swami]
    #2281376 - 01/28/04 05:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Is much of mental illness caused by trying to reconcile our three major sub-brains formed during different evolutionary periods plus the added layer of enculturation?

What a well-formed question.

I don't know.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Jealous Rage - Pathology or Primal Programming? [Re: Sclorch]
    #2281394 - 01/28/04 05:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, get to work on it. I am counting on you for answers. My job is merely to start the threads.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2281436 - 01/28/04 06:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah that is a good question. I think a lot of our behaviour is based on the need to propogate our genes. it's the most powerful instinct, so it's no wonder that it would manifest itself as such a powerful emotion - love. so powerful in fact that we ascribe to it mythical, almost supernatural qualities. and all the passions that can get stirred up, all the jealosy and rage can ultimately be traced back to this basic animal instinct.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2281445 - 01/28/04 06:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Some psychologists say that jealousy is of the ego and a sign of insecurity, but is it? Yes, the emotion can be controlled, but not easily. However, most other mammals will go into a similar rage.

Yes, I would say it is of the ego and a sign of insecurity, AND that we are naturally egocentric and insecure, due to our basic biological drive to survive and reproduce.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2281482 - 01/28/04 06:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It is similar to the kin theory. If you were in a disaster area, you would probably step on and over dying and injured people to help your family. It's merely the protection of genes.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2281517 - 01/28/04 06:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i'd think its instinct, enculturation, and environment

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2281655 - 01/28/04 08:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I suggest you read The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm. I began reading the book some time ago but I couldn't focus on it at the time, I was too preoccupied... but from what did read this is exactly the kind of thing it addresses, and it thorougly answers your question.

I think the answer would depend to a degree on circumstance. It's likely a combination of a primal instinct and an enculturated notion of ownership. If a man believes he owns the woman he's with he's more likely to strike out violently towards the man (or woman) who "stole" her from him. On the other hand, if he has no notion of ownership over her, and fully realizes that she is her own person with the right to leave him at any time will he still strike out in a violent rage?

I think that rage and violence are natural under some circumstances yet entirely enculturated under others. At least the way we deal with such emotions has a lot to do with enculturation. I need to read that book I mentioned all the way through, it's an important one. Perhaps I'd have a more thorough answer after researching the topic in more depth.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Jealous Rage - Pathology or Primal Programming? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2281746 - 01/28/04 08:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

On the other hand, if he has no notion of ownership over her, and fully realizes that she is her own person with the right to leave him at any time will he still strike out in a violent rage?

Quite likely. You are using logic here, yet relationships are emotionally based, so logic plays little role in these circumstances. Rage is not a logical thing. Sometimes it can be taken out on someone or something which has nothing to do with the person's pain. If I catch a woman I love in bed with another man, I'm not thinking about the fact that she's a person in her own right, even though under normal circumstances I'd recognize this. I'd be thinking about the fact that she's having sex with another man. I may later look back on it and realize how foolish it is to strike out at someone because of it, but at the time all I'm thinking about is that those two people are causing me a lot of pain and making me furious. Now, I personally would probably not get violent with either of them, but that's not because of my logical capabilities--It's because I'm just not a violent person(tho I probably would slam the door pretty violently).

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology