Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMagus
Dazed

Loc: Midwest USA
No Pinning! Help needed for success.
    #2280534 - 01/28/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

AFOAF has not been able to get any pin heads yet-- except on one cake-- which makes it all the wierder.

Let me explain his setup. (PES Amazonian strain)

He has an aquarium with an incandescent lighting hood. He duct taped all the holes in the lid, except for the ones that let heat out of the light.

The inside has a black trash bag. The top half comes out of the top of the aquarium and he duct taped that down to the sides of the aquarium.

On the bottom he has 2 inches of perlite with about 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch water/hydroperoxide mix. It includes 8 fully colonized cakes, 4 on lids, 4 diretly on the perlite (just to experiment).

For about the first week however, when the cakes were done before the perlite came in, he improvised and did without the trash bag and instead of perlite used wet napkins and a cup of water. Lighting has been about 1-2 hours a day through the incandescent light hood.

When the perlite came, he took the cakes out, added the trash bag, perlite, and water, and birthed a few more cakes. Lighting stayed at 1-2 hours. While adding the perlite, he also noticed a single mushroom starting grow (about 1 inch) at the bottom of the lid... mycelium had taken a bit of a hold on the lid and a shroom was growing out of it.

Since then, that cake (which was also the first cake birthed) has been the only one producing anything. It now has 8 shrooms growing out of it, 7 of which are about 4 inches long and have torn viels and I plan to harvest tonight.

A couple days ago he was worried that nothing was growing so he tried improvising. He added a couple squirts of fine mist water/peroxide solution for humidity (worried not humid enough because the walls didn't seem very wet). Also, since he thought the direct light was making it too hot and that I might not be getting enough light, he moved the aquarium next to a window with a cool draft, slightly below room temp. He cling wrapped the top, removed the hood, and applied about 8 hours of halogen lighting which had significantly less heat (about 4 feet above the aquarium). That lasted for 2 days, and yesterday we moved the aquarium back to my closet and are using the halogen light still... He super-duct taped cling wrap to the top yesterday and plan to remove it today. Yesterday they had about 6 hours of indirect light and today they will too.

He has not noticed pinning yesterday (although I have not looked today yet). He has one cake colonized and still in its jar-- he could use this one perhaps if its too late for the others. Also he would throw some cakes out if it meant the ones left would be successful. (8 cakes in a 10 gallon aquarium)

Any ideas on how to initiate pinning? Anything I should tell him to change?

Also a couple of the cakes fell down and have some perlite over their side, will this be a problem?

(Also I would like to note, on the plus side, that 10 out of 11 jars were colonized successfully without contamination on this first attempt of his... the one failing just didnt colonize at all).

--------------------
Disclaimer:

1. When I use the word "I", it means a friend of a friend wants me to ask. The word "I" simply cuts down on the amount of letters I need to type.

2. I do not engage in illegal activities. I am appaled by all of you and your apparent disregard for the law.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejba6511
addict
Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: Magus]
    #2280563 - 01/28/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

cold shocking has been known to help with pinning...also a side note; it seems your fiddiling with the setup a lot. Pateince is one thing u will learn in this hobby quickly, sometimes you can not have any pins form for a good 2 weeks or more.

OfflineMex
Mother Earth
Male

Loc: ITA ~ Earth ~ 13:20
    #2280564 - 01/28/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Pictures? They would help;)
Where did you get the syringes?
Magash? Fee? Hanky? Any idea?

--------------------

OfflineCooltuba
Mycostudent
 User Gallery

Loc: Home
    #2280582 - 01/28/04 01:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Are you providing oxygen to your babies? They need at least three fresh air exchanges/day in my opinion. Your humidity sounds ok, and if you have shrooms growing, it's probably alright.

--Cooltuba

--------------------
Above musings are entirely fictional.  I do not grow mushrooms nor do I associate with anyone who does.

DRUGS ARE BAD!  MMMMKAY?

OfflineMagus
Dazed

Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: Mex]
    #2280646 - 01/28/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Spores from SporeWorks.com

...not sure if its an "in" sources but it certainly worked fine.

--------------------
Disclaimer:

1. When I use the word "I", it means a friend of a friend wants me to ask. The word "I" simply cuts down on the amount of letters I need to type.

2. I do not engage in illegal activities. I am appaled by all of you and your apparent disregard for the law.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2281355 - 01/28/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

how many days since birth? maybe you just got an early starter.

--------------------
buh

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
    #2281380 - 01/28/04 05:46 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you clean freaks bug me.

mushrooms grow outside, in nature, where it isn't clean.

IMO you have a few things wrong w/ your setup.

you took out the perlite and put in paper towels. um, it has been done before but since you're a first time grower, stick w/ perlite since napkins tend to collect crap and create germs.

your light, 2 hours a day (dont know for sure) may not be enough. i have my light on, 6 hours on, 6 off, 6 on 6 off.

"I added a couple squirts of fine mist water/peroxide solution for humidity"

whats with everyone and adding either peroxide to their water?

just use normal water if you can't get your hands on a gallon of distilled water ($1.29 @ safeway).

I dont know, it's just my pet peve of everyone trying to be super clean freaks when you dont have to.

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

OfflineMagus
Dazed

Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: alienated]
    #2282747 - 01/29/04 04:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

2 weeks since birth.

And will the cakes still pin if the temp is around 80? B/C the problem with lighting is that it increases my temp significantly. What about light for 4 hours, exchange air (and cool off tank) then light for another 4 hours later in the day, exchange air after that. It would fluxuate from between room temperature to about 80 degrees..?

--------------------
Disclaimer:

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
    #2283101 - 01/29/04 08:54 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

80 is a tad too high, get it down about 5 degrees, like 74-76 range.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2283258 - 01/29/04 10:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

forget the light, you don't need more than a few seconds a day. when you fan it, they'll get all the light they need. especially if your lighting is taking them into temps too warm for pinning (ideally you want 74-78F) ditch the lights. after pins appear, light is what they grow towards, but it doesn't seem to significantly affect cubensis growth, imo.

there was even a post a year or so ago from someone (?was it kykeon) whose experiment suggested they grow faster in the dark :laugh:

--------------------
buh

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2283266 - 01/29/04 10:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

alienated said:
you clean freaks bug me.

you took out the perlite and put in paper towels. um, it has been done before but since you're a first time grower, stick w/ perlite since napkins tend to collect crap and create germs.

your light, 2 hours a day (dont know for sure) may not be enough. i have my light on, 6 hours on, 6 off, 6 on 6 off.

just use normal water if you can't get your hands on a gallon of distilled water ($1.29 @ safeway).

I dont know, it's just my pet peve of everyone trying to be super clean freaks when you dont have to.

I see where you are coming from, but when you are giving advice you want to give the most foolproof suggestions as you can. Hey, being slack on a this type of things worked for me also but I'm not about to suggest that someone else do it, good habits first.. bad habits when you know what you are doing.

The thing about paranoia is that within reason, it is better than taking chances.

Offlinebeanchild
bean
Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: utopianglory]
    #2283448 - 01/29/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

buddy your tweaking the system way too much, its much simpler than what your making this to be

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: utopianglory]
    #2283646 - 01/29/04 01:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

utopianglory said:
Quote:

alienated said:
you clean freaks bug me.

I see where you are coming from, but when you are giving advice you want to give the most foolproof suggestions as you can. Hey, being slack on a this type of things worked for me also but I'm not about to suggest that someone else do it, good habits first.. bad habits when you know what you are doing.

The thing about paranoia is that within reason, it is better than taking chances.

ya, so true.

i was in a bad mood yesturday.

it's just been a while since i posted n00b questions like this.

but then again, even on my first grow i wasn't as "safe" as they make it out to be.

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2283962 - 01/29/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, clean freaks bug me too. Most of all, because I think cubies are fairly hardy. But! It is much cleaner outside in nature to the mushies than it is inside to them. So remember that.

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: keyeghost]
    #2284033 - 01/29/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

DOH!

:-P

--------------------
-m.

InvisibleRowZeZe
Time Watcher

Loc: Space
Re: No Pinning! Help needed for success. [Re: keyeghost]
    #2284818 - 01/29/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Think of it this way.... Maybe there would be shrooms everywhere if it wasnt as dirty outside...???hmmm...haahaha

--------------------
Whats done is done and I cannot complain anymore

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation