Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJKazinsky
Stranger
Ethical computer cheating art in online chess
    #2280016 - 01/28/04 09:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

When asked if using computers in online chess is "inherently unethical" many consider it so. Users of computers are labeled "cheaters." Many competitors mention that they would personally gain no satisfaction from winning if they used computer assistance. Many also equated using computers to letting the computer totally generate the moves without any involvement from the player. Using computers has been labeled by many as unethical and unsatisfying without any further thought about more subtle and creative uses of using analyzing computers as tools.

When assistance of computers to analyze positions is forbidden by the rules of play some difficulties arise. First of all is done properly computer aided play in online chess cannot be detected. Additionally there are all sorts of minor infractions that can occur with computer use. How about using a computer to study openings, say by using it as a practice opponent or allowing it to suggest lines of play for you to consider, when would you have to stop playing these lines ? If you consider this example trivial allow me to point out that such considerations have led to lengthy and heated debate already.

Here are my personal opinions on this subject. I see nothing "inherently" unethical about using computers. They are just one additional tool we can use to determine the move we wish to make. I wouldn't obtain personal satisfaction from plugging my positions into a computer and just accepting the generated moves but I'll allow that it is possible that some competitors would find this a fun way to play chess. There will always be competitors who want to play without computer assistance. I have no problem with that as long as they respect my perception too !

Chess is a magnificent activity. The art/sport/science of chess is great enough to encompass all competitors, whether they pursue correspondence, OTB, problem solving/composing, chess set collecting, chess-on-stamps collecting, chess forms designing, chess journalism, tournament directing, organizing, or the many other forms of chess activities. It would be grossly unfair for one set of chess enthusiasts to prohibit others from pursuing their preferred forms of the game. I would specifically propose chess competitions be made available for using computers to analyze or generate moves. I see no reason to satisfy those who are opposed to these ideas : I refuse to accept the tyranny of those who would force others to play only by their preferred rules.

http://www.compcheaters.netfirms.com/

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMrGrib
Stranger

Re: Ethical computer cheating art in online chess [Re: JKazinsky]
    #2282450 - 01/29/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

stop picking your nose. start again.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Ethical computer cheating art in online chess [Re: JKazinsky]
    #2334176 - 02/14/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Chess is boxing. Train with whatever you want (steroids for the mind? I always did play better high)and as hard as you want but you step into the ring ALONE. No computer, no seconds, no books, no kibbitzers. Just your tiny naked mind, devoid of any possible chance to redirect failure.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media