Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevictimlesstribe
Wanderer
 User Gallery

do most people use more than one terrarium?
    #2279465 - 01/28/04 01:28 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was looking around and noticed that the more cakes you try to put in 1 terrarium the more prone to contamination - How many cakes and what size container is good for n00b?

--------------------
"There is no end to our hunger for external conquests because we cannot get enough of what we do not really want and need." Stanislav Grof

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkunkMonk
Lab-Rat is myMiddle Name.

Loc: South Africa
Re: do most people use more than one terrarium? [Re: victimlesstribe]
    #2279589 - 01/28/04 02:31 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I like to put my cakes in separate sealable buckets with at least one transparent side. I'm also scared that contams will spread (all eggs in one basket)Just make sure there's enough room for the shrooms in your terrarium and monitor water droplets on the side to check if you've got the humidity right. But I'm also new so I've yet to venture out in the world of multiple cakes in on container.

All the best and may your shrooms boom and bloom.

--------------------
If one has all,
Then one lies.
No one too tall,
Can Touch the sky.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast

#2279647 - 01/28/04 03:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Just fill your terrarium with however many cakes it accomodates comfortably, dont waste space but you don't want your cakes on top of each other either. Remove contam'd cakes you go, shit happens, multiple terrariums would not be a significant or efficient practice to cut down on contamination.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2279907 - 01/28/04 07:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Give the PF cake caper thing the flick and case millet and you will get returns above that of PF cakes with far less contam drama and more yield in a simple terrarium.

Three trays with 350grams millet to each, cased incubated/patched...

The front two trays from ^above terrarium.

Yield of those two trays from first flush dried and cleaned...

The third tray back in that terrarium fruited (still drying it atm). Yield is down due to summer heat, but it's acceptable.

Just case millet mate. Forget the time hungry, high work input, low potency, low yield brown rice flour PF cakes. Millet is clean to cook and productive in result. It suits the personal needs of small growers without question. It is also very cheap. BRF shrooms however lack the muscle of millet. Worse, PF cakes come with 4 times the inoculation points so that's 400% the risk compared to 1 inoculation point with grain and they colonise slower than grains that can be shaken/rolled.

1 incubator, 1 terrarium and you're set with no perlite/geolite needed to keep up the RH. Cases are easier than cakes. Forget the cakes.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
    #2280198 - 01/28/04 11:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Did anyone ever tell you how impressive a grower you are Starter? Casing will definatly increase yeilds, and may be a better way to cultivate all together.

To answer the question though, multiple terrariums are only needed if you are growing more than would fit in 1. Pretty simple.

--------------------

Offline20cent
mycocosmos
Re: do most people use more than one terrarium? [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2280904 - 01/28/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would definitely start with grains and casings. I have never made a PF-Cake, and thanks to alot of research and help from people on this board, I have had nothing but success using grains and casings. Imho, it is easier and cheaper to use grains and casings then a pftek. A terrarium for casings doesnt even need geolite/perlite, or an airpump. I use a simple tub in tub with a wet sponge in it. Think of it this way:

2 quarts of millet in one casing = roughly 70 grams dried
Most terrariums can fit up to 3 of these casings. That's a total return of 210 grams. You only need to PC 6 jars too.

Let's say you PC 6 half-pints and do a PFtek.
You will probably get around 5 grams dry from each cake, which results in 30 grams total.

210 vs 30 ? Consider that before you start your project. Also check out starter's grow logs... he is a sick bastard with casings.

My point: Get 1 terrarium and go millet!

OfflineTheDarkSideof_Paco
Seeker

Loc: My basement
Re: do most people use more than one terrarium? [Re: 20cent]
    #2280931 - 01/28/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hell yeah millet is the shit, I wish I had a good camera I want to post my friends current grow with WBS, its going great. Cheap, simple, huge flushes.

Paco

--------------------
"In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us."

Thich Nhat Hanh

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: do most people use more than one terrarium? [Re: Starter]
    #2340268 - 02/16/04 08:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Starter, what do you do for air exchange?  Are those aquarium pump hoses I see in the pic?  You do nothing at all for humidification?  Do you have any tips for such a great pinset? 

Approximately how much do you think those casings will yield total in how many flushes?

AFAOF has really fine tuned the pf tek to do much better than average so he's stuck with that for a long time, but now he knows he must get into millet. :smile:

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

Re: do most people use more than one terrarium? [Re: Starter]
    #2340757 - 02/16/04 01:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah man, thasts some sick shit. Im jealous and would like some tips on how you do that. pm me if you get a chance cause I would like to ask you a few questions. peace

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Offlinebenjamin
da shroom

#2340949 - 02/16/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

isn't colonized substrate pretty hard to contaminate? I mean since the mycelium is already in place what could take hold of the substrate? it doesn't seem to me that contams during fruiting are as much a problem as contams during incubation and innoculation. Am i right or wrong on this?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation