Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Evolving]
    #2278128 - 01/27/04 03:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If you have to ask, then the answer is a clear "No!". Leaders don't need no steenkin' permission.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Swami]
    #2278142 - 01/27/04 03:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The question was rhetorical, for I am already sitting on the throne. BRING THE VIRGINS TO ME... NOW!!!

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Evolving]
    #2278149 - 01/27/04 03:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Did they let you out early, Charlie? Squeekie sez "Hi."

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Swami]
    #2278156 - 01/27/04 03:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

How did you know?!?! I let my bangs grow...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: buttonion]
    #2278960 - 01/27/04 08:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Its not just the belief that we can actually understand it that?s flawed- its the belief that it is there! It?s a delusion

yes. we may all be grasping at patterns in the smoke for all we know and building up these delusions into towering pretentions of Truth.

..maybe the story of the Tower of Babel is an allegory for Religion..

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Strumpling]
    #2278966 - 01/27/04 08:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I think the best "religion" would be one where we admit we have no fucking clue what's going on, but that the insense sure smells nice.

yes, that would be my religion..
and our incense does smell quite nice :spliff:

OfflineFunguy
Homo SapiensEntheogenous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muffy
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Frog]
    #2278968 - 01/27/04 08:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

It's not religion that is the problem, it is the people "following" it. Never judge a faith by the actions of some (or most) of its "followers."

--------------------

OTD UNDERDOGS

Is attention your retarded heroin?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Funguy]
    #2279025 - 01/27/04 08:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Why shouldn't we judge a religion by its followers? I would think that a good way of judging the validity of a religion would be how it is manifested in the lives of its followers. Buddhist nations tend to have much lower violent crime rates than America, one of the most devoutly Christian nations.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2279047 - 01/27/04 08:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What's the Tower of Babel story?

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: buttonion]
    #2279089 - 01/27/04 09:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Genesis 11:1-9 (NIV):

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2280329 - 01/28/04 10:21 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

babel ---> babble...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: gnrm23]
    #2280489 - 01/28/04 10:57 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

babel ---> babble...

Did bubble gum used to be bubel gum back in the day?

--------------------

OfflineFunguy
Homo SapiensEntheogenous
Male User Gallery

Loc: Muffy
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: silversoul7]
    #2280683 - 01/28/04 12:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Why shouldn't we judge a religion by its followers? I would think that a good way of judging the validity of a religion would be how it is manifested in the lives of its followers. Buddhist nations tend to have much lower violent crime rates than America, one of the most devoutly Christian nations.

I don't consider America to be a "Christian" nation, it is far from it. However, many people consider themselves to be Christians. You can be a "Christian" even if you only go to church for Christmas and Easter. The word Christian is one on the most abused terms used today.
Most of the people commiting these crimes are not Christians, and if they say they are they have a perverted sense of what it means to be one. I'm saying you should judge a religion based on that the religion is about, not from the actions of its supposed "followers."

--------------------

OTD UNDERDOGS

Is attention your retarded heroin?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2280701 - 01/28/04 12:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

And who are you to say who the real Christians are? How much ya wanna bet those same people would accuse you of not being a true Christian? And what is Christianity all about? There are millions of people with millions of interpretations, armed with Bible quotes to back up their agendas. Reminds me of the time I went to see the Dalai Lama speak, and there were all these Christian protesters outside with picket signs saying we were all going to Hell, and sometimes Bible verses to back that claim up. As I passed one of them, I gave him a peace sign and said, "Judge not, lest thou be judged."

--------------------

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #2280713 - 01/28/04 12:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Christianity is the prevailing religion in America. It's beliefs and it's culture and its ideals and its dogma are deeply ingrained in the psyche. Just because a person doesn't call themself a christian doesn't mean they haven't been influenced by christianity.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

#2280718 - 01/28/04 12:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Reminds me of the time I went to see the Dalai Lama speak, and there were all these Christian protesters outside with picket signs saying we were all going to Hell

man that is horrible :frown:

there will never be peace on earth...

"Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth..."

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2280727 - 01/28/04 12:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

One nation under God? USA is the stronghold of Christianity. If any nation is Christian, it is the US.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: muhurgle]
    #2280734 - 01/28/04 12:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What's funny is that many of the European nations that brought Christianity over to America are now mostly atheist. If only we could follow their example...

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2280948 - 01/28/04 01:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Christianism is a religion which to become known and accepted did HORRIBLE things in the past. Whoever dared to renounce this religion was SLAUGHTERED without mercy. These are the things the followers did and the reasons varied from personal to political and economical.

What the bible is trying to teach is very important, but the whole thing...the bible and Christianism and the 10 orders of Moises as we know them in Greece are soooooo far embedded in the Christians DNA which one at the end of the day forgets what the religion that he has put his faith in is all about.

I remember when a painting of Christ that was said to be holy and could do miracles was brought in Greece, Athens for all the christians to see...There were old people stepping on each other bodies and hearting each other in order to get to the painting first.

There could be millions of examples of christians bad behaviour but the point is that if,for me, you take out all the Jesus and Virgin Mary stuff you are left with some beautifull advices for life and interesting ways to live your life.

I was born a christian, though I am not now and I have been taught about all that christianity "advices". I hold the part that I agree with and continue debating. Who was it that said....I red it somewhere here in these forums...it was ones signature...that when all agree with each other, someone is not thinking...

--------------------

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: The Problem with Religion [Re: Shroomerious]
    #2281055 - 01/28/04 02:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I love Canada.. we don't have bullshit slogans like "In god we trust" on our money.. I mean come on.. how fucking christian can you get... (not neccassarily a christian slogan, but when the President is Christian, you'd think he'd do something about that....)

Heh.. Christians dropping nukes.. Sounds like that star above the manger (sp?) in Bethleham.. no wait.. that's not a star... it's a shooting star.. no wait... it's the tail of a 40 ton bomb headed to japan...

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order