Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: WHO IS GOD??? [Re: Frog]
    #2280883 - 01/28/04 01:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

but I see it as more evidence that God is taking care of me.

We have been over this before, but I have yet to "get it". You have also stated that you are not special (in God's eyes), so why do you feel he would take care of you and not others? It can't be all about perception; i.e. others not recognizing their blessings, for some people have truly appalling lives due to circumstances beyond their control. For examples: AIDS orphans in Africa.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2280885 - 01/28/04 01:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I had an experience today.  I know it might be synchonicity, or luck, or whatever, but I see it as more evidence that God is taking care of me.

Since you accept that it could as well be synchonicity or luck or whatever as well as to be God, your God, and this makes you feel happy in your everyday life and in long-term goals that you set as well that's all you need to know.

Quote:

I am not sure who God is, but I'm sure He exists.

See? It is extremely difficult to renounce the faith that was brainwashed to you in a younger age by saying HE just after you say that you are not sure who God is... :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: WHO IS GOD??? [Re: castaway]
    #2280895 - 01/28/04 01:18 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting theory, and in my opinion a quite fair possibility! :smile:

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: WHO IS GOD??? [Re: Shroomerious]
    #2280903 - 01/28/04 01:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

PLEASE LOOK AT THE POLE AND VOTE!!!

--------------------

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2280915 - 01/28/04 01:24 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

As weird as it may seem, I think the God I have trouble with is Female....(as in Unreasonable?)...whether it's me learning to accept Her or t'other way around I don't know...But we Do go round'n round...'n such monkey tricks She does play.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: WHO IS GOD??? [Re: Swami]
    #2280921 - 01/28/04 01:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I believe who God is said to be, in the Bible.

Aside from that, though, I think God takes care of me, whoever He is as a being. 

Okay, I have to say that God takes more care of me than He does of all you low-lifes.  People, at first, usually just smile or laugh at me when I say God takes care of me.  Eventually, they believe that something is going on because someone is looking out for me. 

I've told other stories about my "luck", but here's one that just happened this morning...

I went to the store and used the self "check out" machine.  I realized I forgot to get cream.  I pushed the cart out of the way and went to get the cream.  I accidentally left my change, about $8 and some change, in the machine. 

When I came back to the machine, I saw my change in the tray.  Cool!  Pocketed it and started to ring up the cream.  I noticed that someone must have been trying to use the machine, but no one was there, so I canceled their order and rang up the cream. 

As I was walking away, a lady was coming back, with a manager, and I could hear her explaining to him that the machine was not working.  Of course, I had just used it.  He poked a few buttons and it was, of course, working.  She was exclaiming, "But I just tried using it and it wouldn't work!"  If it had worked, she would have found my change. 

This kind of thing happens all the time.  I win in court all the time.  I lock my keys in the car and someone is there to help me.  I always seem to have money when I need it.  It's very, very strange.  Or God is taking care of me.  :grin:

I'm sorry about the orphans with AIDS in Africa.  Karma can explain that. 

See, I think God takes extra care of me because, as I discussed on another thread, I have Asperger's.  I also have ADHD.  I'm always on the verge of getting in trouble, somehow.  I'm also sort of clueless, and don't notice much in life, in general.  Either God has taken it upon Himself to personally look after me, or He has assigned to me some extra angels.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2280923 - 01/28/04 01:29 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

that's cool. but I think as soon as you give IT a name IT is no longer IT.
IT is not Yahweh, or Allah, not a He or a She. we only use these terms for convenience. IT can't be named - no human tongue can soil IT.

there's a saying in Buddhism: the tao that can be written is not the true tao.
it's the same way with God, the unnamed. an ineffable, unknowable force that escapes definition. as you know, I don't believe in an intervening, personal God. I don't believe in an anthropomorphic God that can actually be known or defined by humans.

these are the 'definitions' I prefer. they're imperfect, but they're better than the traditional view...

Logos: the divine wisdom manifest in the creation, government, and redemption of the world and often identified with the second person of the Trinity

tao: a) the unconditional and unknowable source and guiding principle of all reality as conceived by Taoists b) the process of nature by which all things change and which is to be followed for a life of harmony

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2281016 - 01/28/04 02:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Okay, I have to say that God takes more care of me than He does of all you low-lifes.

You said that because our answer was kind of strict maybe. All of us in this pole have started to agree in various things and you are comming and showing not only how narrow-minded you are but also bad manners. Is that what your religion tha takes care of you teach you to say? Low-lifes?HA, you made me laugh. You are a disgrace to the religion you believe.

Quote:

This kind of thing happens all the time.  I win in court all the time.  I lock my keys in the car and someone is there to help me.  I always seem to have money when I need it.  It's very, very strange.  Or God is taking care of me.  :grin:

I suggest you see The Devil's Advocate....or maybe not....this may be too much of a thriller for you.

Quote:

Either God has taken it upon Himself to personally look after me, or He has assigned to me some extra angels.

You know we were talking about being one with the universe and you are talking about the exact opposite. It really annoys me when people are so narrow-minded. Extra angels.....Your MIND can affect MATTER. Some people may love you and pray for you, use their mind's energy and maybe that is the reason you are so lucky as you proclaim to be. On the other hand you could just forgetting all the bad things that happned to you and sticking to the good ones. I don't know. I suggest you read two books....wait, here are the ISBN's :

0-486-60769-0
and
0-87542-118-0

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2281079 - 01/28/04 02:18 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

God is all-that-is

We are all god. Experiencing subjective realities to contribute to the objective reality.

We are all fragments of god.. like little cells of god. Each having the same potential as the original. All of life, all of existence, is god.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2281122 - 01/28/04 02:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"You said that because our answer was kind of strict maybe. All of us in this pole have started to agree in various things and you are comming and showing not only how narrow-minded you are but also bad manners. Is that what your religion tha takes care of you teach you to say? Low-lifes?HA, you made me laugh. You are a disgrace to the religion you believe.

Um, it was a joke, Shroomerious.  Swami sometimes gets after me when I talk about God taking care of me, so I thought I was making a joke.  I'm sorry if it didn't sound funny.  I guess I forgot to put the obligatory little :grin:

I don't think I am narrow-minded.  Maybe you haven't read some of my other posts.  I realize that what I believe might be incorrect.  But I choose to believe what I believe until someone comes up with something better than what I believe.  I can live with others having their separate, different beliefs.  I don't feel the need to change anyone's mind.

"I suggest you see The Devil's Advocate....or maybe not....this may be too much of a thriller for you."
:frown:

"Extra angels.....Your MIND can affect MATTER. Some people may love you and pray for you, use their mind's energy and maybe that is the reason you are so lucky as you proclaim to be. On the other hand you could just forgetting all the bad things that happned to you and sticking to the good ones. I don't know. I suggest you read two books....wait, here are the ISBN's :"

Now see?  This is what I mean.  I believe what I believe until someone comes up with something better.  What's funny is that you made a connection for me, but you were kind of mean about it, just because you didn't realize that I was just trying to be humorous.  It would have been nice if you had first asked "wtf" instead of jumping on me for being an asshole, when I am not an asshole. 

Why is it other people praying for me that gets me what I need?  Why isn't it me praying and using my mind to get me what I need?  I think you're right about using my mind to get what I need.  Someone else once said that I talk to people as if I expect to get what I want.  I almost always get what I want.  So maybe somehow, I'm using my mind more than I thought and just not realizing it.  I sort of prefer to think that it's God, though.  Sounds nicer.  Actually, I really do believe God has a hand in all this.

I'm waiting on a book that I ordered called "The Field".  I think it explains a lot.

And you're more right than you realize about forgetting the bad things that happen.  For one thing, I am a major ADHDer.  :grin:  I have a lousy memory.  For another, I don't mind when bad things happen, too much, because again, I believe in karma and God and the universe, and I believe that there is a reason for things happening.  Usually, a lesson to be learned.

I suggest you read two books....wait, here are the ISBN's :"

What's an "ISBN"??

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2281124 - 01/28/04 02:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

A lady once told me a story like that when she was trying to convert me.  She said that she left her purse at the mall a few days before Christmas, and it sat there for hours before she realized it was missing.  She went back to the mall, and miraculously, it was not stolen.  According to her, it was God's intervention.

But, like Swami's Aids inquiry that you did not address, why wouldn't God make Mohummed Atta slip on a bananna peel and incur a disabiling injury on 9/11? 

Quote:

To hell with everyone else, subserviant church lady will have her purse back-

God.

:frown:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

Re: WHO IS GOD??? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2281125 - 01/28/04 02:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

That's exactly the concept of Pantheism!!!!Most of us agree on that!!!You see we could start a clan!!!  :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:
Ohhh ok, not.
Anyway, 'tis good too hear similar opinions, I don't feel so alone anymore :shake:
:grin: :grin: :grin:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: WHO IS GOD??? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2281158 - 01/28/04 02:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

That's why I said it could be synchronicity, or luck, or whatever. But in my life, I do things like that all the time, and I always get my stuff back. I have locked my keys in my car or lost them so many times, but someone is always there to help, with no expense to me.

I left my PDA/cell phone at starbucks the other night and it was there the next morning. The money thing this morning. Dropped money in a store the other day and didn't realize it. There were people all over the place. When I noticed I dropped it, I retraced my steps and it was sitting on the floor, people walking all around it.

I am major ADHD. I lose everything. Forget everything. I like to think God is helping me keep track of stuff. What's so bad about thinking this way? Why can't I believe God is helping me? Why does it have to be luck?

And karma explains things like Atta not slipping on a banana peel.

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2281186 - 01/28/04 02:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't realise that it was a joke...Maybe it was because I am stil a noob in Shroomery and I haven't red many of your posts or because of my passion for what we are discussing or because of my bad English(as I said before...I am Greek); I feel sorry if I insulted you or anyway made you feel bad, this wasn't my intention......... :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump:

Quote:

Why is it other people praying for me that gets me what I need?  Why isn't it me praying and using my mind to get me what I need?  I think you're right about using my mind to get what I need.  Someone else once said that I talk to people as if I expect to get what I want.  I almost always get what I want.  So maybe somehow, I'm using my mind more than I thought and just not realizing it.  I sort of prefer to think that it's God, though.  Sounds nicer.  Actually, I really do believe God has a hand in all this.

Yes, if you prefer to believe that is God and it makes you feel better I have no objection  :smile:

ISBN is something like the code of a certain book, instead of the title, you can find it by knowing the ISBN number.

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2281211 - 01/28/04 02:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

What's so bad about thinking this way?  Why can't I believe God is helping me?  Why does it have to be luck?

If it seems more realistic to you than for some of your friends-family-gods to have helped you, or anyway if you feel good believing it do so but appreciate the other points of view. Which as I can see you do... :grin:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2281261 - 01/28/04 02:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yer cool, Shroomerious. And happy birthday!

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2281388 - 01/28/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

That's why I said it could be synchronicity, or luck, or whatever. But in my life, I do things like that all the time, and I always get my stuff back. I have locked my keys in my car or lost them so many times, but someone is always there to help, with no expense to me.

This reminds me of a time when my uncle was dying in upper Vermont in the wintertime and the whole family was gathering around him. My brother is a hard-core born-again Christian. He was driving five of us to my uncle's farmhouse at 5 AM. It was dark, cold and snowing hard. I warned him to slow down as we were approaching a tee in the road and he was a relatively inexperienced young driver. He ignored my advice and we slid off the road into a ditch. No one nor the car was hurt, but we were stuck there.

Mike says, "Don't worry, God will provide." A short time later a tractor happened to come by and pulled us out. Mike restates, "See? I told you God would provide." I retorted, "God provided me with a brain so as NOT to go off the road in the first place."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2281481 - 01/28/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

"God provided me with a brain so as NOT to go off the road in the first place."

Nice point there... :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2281499 - 01/28/04 04:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think that there is a great possibility that we all live in a great big game and that maybe we have created this game.Technology in 20 years time, will develop Artificial Intelligence in the degree where microprocessors could, if allowed to, be smarter than humans. How do we know that the year now is not 2004 but 2024 and that we are not living in a game? We just don't. And you know what? That's the magic thing about and maybe we created our world as we know it today because by knowing everything, life was becoming quite dull.
I don't know why I wrote that...But it keeps popping into my mind...

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2281501 - 01/28/04 04:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"God provided me with a brain so as NOT to go off the road in the first place."

What's a "brain"???

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom