Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineskoomaguitarist
pathetique

Loc: superfailure
confidence and singing
    #2278748 - 01/27/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i have heard from quite a few people, and now i begin to wonder....

how much exactly does self-confidence, or the lack thereof, affect your voice?
i am trying to improve my singing, since my vocals definitely leave something to be desired... it's not like i can't hold a tune, but i'm no maynard, heh. all that is besides the point... what i'm really trying to say is, are we sure that self-confidence is the issue? i have noticed that when i'm alone, i'm less nervous about singing loudly, but i can also hit the notes somewhat better... is that unusual? any long-time vocalists out there dying to answer these questions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: confidence and singing [Re: skoomaguitarist]
    #2278829 - 01/27/04 09:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say it has a major effect on your voice. When you're nervous, your throat muscles tense up, tightening your vocal cords. I used to be extremely shy about singing in front of other people, and when I did, my nervousness showed in my singing. Then I just stopped giving a fuck and lo and behold, my voice improved considerably. I'm still no Maynard, but I'm still improving. Sometimes, when I just forget about everything, lose myself in the music, and let the lyrics flow from the heart, I really can amaze myself.

It's also good to know your limits. I only have about a 3-octave vocal range, but I make damn sure I make good use of those 3 octaves. I find that my natural voice is too bassy to really hear clearly, so I sing an octave above it. I also have resigned myself to the fact that while I can sing, I suck at screaming. Oh well. Good thing I play alternative rock rather than metal or hardcore punk. What sucks about my voice is that I can't emulate the singers from two of my favorite bands, Smashing Pumpkins and Tool. I can't sing as high-pitched as Billy Corgan and I can't scream like Maynard(of course, I doubt many people can). That's ok, though. I can still sing my own songs, and that's what counts.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media