Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re-using mycelium
    #2275142 - 01/26/04 03:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was wondering that if instead of using spore syringes to innoculate jars of substrate, one could simply use small chunk of mycelium from an already colonized cake.

I recently birthed one of my jars and noticed some mycelium had stuck to the inside so I refilled the jar with new, sterilized substrate. I was amazed at the speed the new substrate became completely colonized.

I guess my only real question is: are there any disadvantages to using this method to innoculate jars? and why doesn't everyone use this method since it would save the hassle of making syringes or cultures, etc. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks
Kich

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Re-using mycelium [Re: Kichy]
    #2275162 - 01/26/04 04:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Filling a jar with sterile media is not really a great idea, since the media and spawn are exposed to airborne contams. If you want to do this, put yer colonized jar in a glovebox and transfer peices of myc to premade sterilized jars. This doesn't belong in advanced by the way....

SM

--------------------

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2275599 - 01/26/04 06:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

grain to grain transfers, like simplemachine said, leave a doorway for contams to get in. with multispore innoculation that factor is almost eliminated. but you are right, cloning from grain definitly has advantages, one is speed of colonization. and u dont need spores everytime.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Offlineandyrm66

#2275663 - 01/26/04 07:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Using sugar water with a small piece word great for my dog, no contaims as of yet.

OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Re: Re-using mycelium [Re: amyloid]
    #2275688 - 01/26/04 07:22 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Aside from the greater risk of contams is there any disadvantage? I am willing to risk a higher contam rate for the obvious advantage of faster colonization rate.
I have heard rumors though that using the same mycelium growth for multiple generations can lead to a weakened specimen. Anyone know if this is true?

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
    #2275708 - 01/26/04 07:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Kichy said:
I have heard rumors though that using the same mycelium growth for multiple generations can lead to a weakened specimen. Anyone know if this is true?

It's true, but it varies tremendously from species to species and from strain to strain. Some species can be grown out by a factor of 10 or more grain to grain transfers before losing vitality, whereas some (like the morels) fizzle out after just 5 - 10 petri plate (not grain to grain!) transfers.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

OfflineKichy
Ganja Connoiseur
Re: Re-using mycelium [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2275978 - 01/26/04 09:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Are you (or anyone else) farmiliar with cubensis' ability to maintain vitality through generations?

Anyone with experience doing many GtG transfers have any results or tendencies they could present?

--------------------
YEAH, Canada ROCKS!

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#2276007 - 01/26/04 09:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Kichy said:
Are you (or anyone else) farmiliar with cubensis' ability to maintain vitality through generations?

As I said it is strain dependent. The only way you're going to fully realize the potential of your particular strain is to do the experiments yourself. Stamets provides expansion limitations for edible species in his latest GG&MM but cubies of course, are not covered.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Anonymous

#2276555 - 01/27/04 02:02 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

do a grain piece to pasturized straw and then the contam rate lowers by 99% its the nood way of doing it

InvisibleGoldenShroom
shhhh ....don'ttell anyone!

Loc: wherever shrooms grow wil...
    #2278754 - 01/27/04 06:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Talking about reusing mycelium, would there be any disadvantage of taking mycelium from a casing AFTER it has fruited? For me, this seems like the best way to do things.

--------------------
-The killer in me is the killer in you... so I send this smile over to you

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Re-using mycelium [Re: GoldenShroom]
    #2279497 - 01/27/04 11:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

It seems to me that peeps in this thread are looking for methods of cultivation that professional edible mushroom farmers have been employing for decades (or more): Take a petri culture, use it to inoculate a few grain masters, use these grain masters to inoculate MANY MANY MANY more grain jars (as much expansion as your strain will allow), and then use this grain to again multiply your total mycelial mass by inoculating bulk substrates... HUNDREDS of pounds of incoculated bulk substrate (or more!) from ONE PETRI. I think people are seeking answers that have already been written on the wall...

--------------------

Edited by Basidiocarp (01/27/04 11:42 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck