Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Competitive behavior
    #2275761 - 01/26/04 10:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Competitive behavior [Re: ]
    #2275810 - 01/26/04 10:30 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

competitive

adj 1: involving competition or competitiveness; "competitive games"; "to improve one's competitive position" [syn: competitory] [ant: noncompetitive] 2: subscribing to capitalistic competition [syn: free-enterprise(a), private-enterprise(a)] 3: showing a fighting disposition without self-seeking; "highly competitive sales representative"; "militant in fighting for better wages for workers"; "his self-assertive and ubiquitous energy" [syn: militant]

I suppose one would have to take into consideration the areas in which someone is being competitive to determine if the ego is at work.

In my line of work, there's a lot of competition, but you can see where someone's ego is at work v. just trying to win the case. Those whose egos are at work take everything personally and get nasty. Those whose egos aren't at work, play professionally.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #2275811 - 01/26/04 10:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am competitive. When I play games I like win. I feel pretty happy with myself, and when I win I don't feel any better.

Sometimes I lose because that's better. Like when I am playing with my niece and nephew I'll let them win, or give them the last peice of candy, that way they are happy, and I am happy for them. Double the happiness for the universe.

But I love a good argument. Intelligent discussion is where it's at. I don't always need to win, but not having anything to add to a convo is worse than being proven dead wrong, imo

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#2275825 - 01/26/04 10:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Unless you were a person who was well balanced, spiritually and philosophically
how could you answer that?

If you are at one with yourself, if you feel love for others, if you have nothing to prove, why compete?

It may amuse the competion.

Of course a person could engage in some activity out of the pleasure/fun of it. But how long would they play a game if they lost every time?

If you lose all the time the competion would get bored so you would not play long anyway.

Is it ego?

Don't know.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Competitive behavior [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2275831 - 01/26/04 10:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

But I love a good argument. Intelligent discussion is where it's at. I don't always need to win, but not having anything to add to a convo is worse than being proven dead wrong, imo

I agree.  And even better is to play devil's advocate and take the opposing position just to fuck with people.  Just for fun.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2275834 - 01/26/04 10:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I think a competitive drive is a good thing when striving for self improvement. I guess you would really be competing with yourself.

Being competitive soley to win is petty. If your goal is to win, people usually bypass techinque, character, and ethics.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Competitive behavior [Re: falcon]
    #2275839 - 01/26/04 10:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

MM:  Of course a person could engage in some activity out of the pleasure/fun of it. But how long would they play a game if they lost every time?

Falcon:  If you lose all the time the competion would get bored so you would not play long anyway.

Well, I disagree.  I played a lot of backgammon when I was 21, when the game was popular.  I played at a bar that featured it.  I would play with anyone.  I loved playing.  But I lost a lot.  People didn't mind playing me.  I didn't mind losing.  I'll take anyone on now.  :evil:

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Re: Competitive behavior [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2275841 - 01/26/04 10:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

how can you bypass techinique and win?

Anonymous

#2275845 - 01/26/04 10:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Re: Competitive behavior [Re: Frog]
    #2275856 - 01/26/04 10:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

a lot is not all of the time

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2275863 - 01/26/04 10:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have a competitive drive about chess. It's great to kick someone's ass, and win without character. I realize it's an ego trip and it's something that I wouldn't do if I were balanced and comfortable with myself, but, fun is fun.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2275867 - 01/26/04 10:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

It depends on what type of argument. I like to go to court and argue my case, such as a motion, and I like to win. Early on, if I lost, I would be embarassed. My ego got in the way. One day, my then-mentor said to me, "Why feel bad if you lose??? Someone has to lose!!! It's 50/50!!!"

An argument about something that is based on opinions? I can let it go. I don't need people to agree with me. I don't care if they don't agree. I get angry, though, when someone wants to keep going on about how right they are and how wrong I am. That really pisses me off.

And what I really hate is being told "you don't really feel that way". Aaaargh!!!

See, really, in life, there shouldn't be arguments, except for the ones in court. I'm pretty good at fighting with someone because I can back down and admit when I'm wrong. Or if someone wants to do something one way, and I want to do it another way, I'll be flexible.

But if I'm not wrong, and the other person doesn't think they are wrong, I just want to drop it and not keep going over it and over it and over it. That makes my brain hurt. Why not just agree to disagree?

How about you, MM?

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2275875 - 01/26/04 10:52 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, I almost never won, in the beginning. But I see your point. If one absolutely never wins, why keep playing?

Personally, I like playing games so much that I don't mind if I lose, though I prefer to win. I like the "play" rather than the "outcome".

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2275883 - 01/26/04 10:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I was getting ready do make a thread about arguements, but it fits in with this thread.

When was the last time anybody actually won an arguement?

In Frog's case, I would say it would be much easier to determine the winner and loser since an impartial third party presides over the debate. But, in shouting matches, people walk away thinking exactly what they thought before. Both people feel like they won. I don't get it. Just because you out yell someone doesn't mean you won. Just because you ask an inanswerable question doesn't mean you won. My dad told me the other day "The world's dumbest man can ask a question that the smartest person in the world cannot answer."

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2275894 - 01/26/04 10:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I don't see having a discussion as "winning" something. That's why I don't argue abortion, existence of God, or politics with anyone. I may state my beliefs, but I'm not going to argue over it.

Most people think that you have to argue until someone changes their mind. I don't see why each side can't just state what they think, maybe ask each other a few questions to get an understanding for why they believe that way, and then move on.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#2275898 - 01/26/04 11:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I like to play games where I may win if it is to one sided in either direction I lose intrest.

Anonymous

#2275909 - 01/26/04 11:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#2275913 - 01/26/04 11:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

j/k

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2275918 - 01/26/04 11:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well, first of all it is obvious to everyone here that you don't really feel that way.

I was just about to say "wtf" and then I got the joke. haha.

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

#2275920 - 01/26/04 11:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My mind is drawing a blank, I don't get it.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology