Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLeViTY
I missed theark.

Loc: CA
Stutter?
    #2274361 - 01/26/04 10:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Just this year, I've noticed that it's really hard for me to have a conversation with someone. I tend to rush my words together really fast due to nervousness, but I've never done this previously. Now I get really scared when someone tries to talk to me, because I don't want to embarass myself by not being able to talk clearly. Is there a reason this stutter-like thing could have developed?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Stutter? [Re: LeViTY]
    #2274535 - 01/26/04 11:30 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The more you worry, the worse it'll get. Especially if it's because of nervousness.

I had a chunk of my mouth removed due to impacted teeth and it screws up my tongue hitting the roof of my mouth and I stutter sometimes too.

Fuck it though, what human being can say they never stuttered? Think over in you're head what you're about to say and articulate. I wouldn't worry about it hun :smile:

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#2275305 - 01/26/04 04:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

smoke some pot before. :grin:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2275513 - 01/26/04 06:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I used to have the same problem.  I still do, to some extent.  Just slow down, take a deep breath, and articulate what you're going to say.  BTW, I agree w/ centrum's advice. :biggrin:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #2275542 - 01/26/04 06:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Stuttering is the worst fuckin thing in the whole fuckin world. People never know how much it sux not being able to say shit on your mind. Ive had this mother fucker since six years old and it crushed me, son of a bitch.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Edited by downforpot (01/26/04 06:19 PM)

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Stutter? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2275670 - 01/26/04 07:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

centrum said:
smoke some pot before. :grin:

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
BTW, I agree w/ centrum's advice. :biggrin:

I don't agree. Weed caused me to stutter when I previously didn't, I now smoke it rarely.

Everyones different though I suppose.

Do you smoke alot LeViTY ???

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2275704 - 01/26/04 07:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'm starting to think that all of this forum-time is messing with my communication skills.

I mean my general writing skills and articulation are definitely boosted by so much net-talk but unfortunately when I talk to people in real time less often than people on the internet, I find it hard to get my ideas out ON TIME because I've gotten used to sitting there, thinking about it, then forming a nice rant. Instead of stuttering, I usually end up with "uhhhhhhhh" or "ummmmm" heh but when I finally get out the idea it is understood completely..

They're right though - don't worry about it - just work on talking - whenver you're in a good mood, say something to somebody and start a conversation about whatever.

The more you speak to more different people in real-time, the more you will get better at it.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleLeViTY
I missed theark.

Re: Stutter? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2275769 - 01/26/04 08:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't say I smoke a lot, a couple times a month maybe?

Anonymous #1

Re: Stutter? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2275840 - 01/26/04 08:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by shaos (04/09/11 03:29 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #2275984 - 01/26/04 09:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

having grown up with tourettes syndrome, i can relate. for a long time i had a hard time talking to people because people my age didn't/couldn't understand that it was more or less normal for someone to be so different, in whatever way.

as i grew up a little, i got over my anxiety and embarrasment and foundthat people my age where at least a little more receptive to me than they had been. even before my ticks dimineshed people my age became more and more tollerant untill it didn't bother me signifigantly. as an adult, i find it easier to deal with those people who can't see past my faults/differences and i find that the majority of the people around me do not make such jodgements in the first place.

this is especialy important because, aside from somewhat growing out of it, the majority of my ticks are triggered by stress and anxety. the less i feel compelled to worry about it, the less i tick. most of the time nobody notices.

i do not know how far this wll relate to you, but stress/anxiety may be a contributing factor. if you can put yourself in a position of equality in a stuation, you may find the either your stutering sill be lessened or people will not notice itas much.

moreover, i do not think this is doomed to be a long term problem; you may well pass right out of it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #2276147 - 01/26/04 10:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I have the same problem. Sometimes I rush my words and they all jumble up and run into each other. Sometimes I stutter on the first word, or on a word that I find hard to pronounce. It's always easier to pronounce in your head, but when you go to say it, it stalls me.
It's probably because I know my speech is slightly slurred and can sound slightly retarded, so I'm hestitant to speak much now - and if there's a group situation or even one on one, I take a long time to say what I had in mind.
There's not much you can do really, except just learn to cope with it. Slow yourself down - it's not a race to see who can talk the fastest. I found I stumble and stutter very badly when I try to talk fast, so I avoid doing so. Also, if you fuck up a sentence, don't feel embarrassed - you can turn it into humour. My friend has the same problem as me, and when he talks and fucks it up, he just continues the sentence in gibberish and weird hand motions. He knows he screwed up the sentence, but he's just using humour instead of embarrassment to deal with it.
And as everyone else suggested - the more people you talk to, the easier it becomes.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #2276277 - 01/26/04 11:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Actually starting around october november and early december i had started to mess up on words. Like once i called my neighbors tan and dammy,(dan and tammy) just stupid stuff. I figured out most of it was related to stress. I was busting ass so much between school, work, party, and shroomery i was very stressed. When i got a month off school and break for xmas it went away.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2276297 - 01/26/04 11:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

holy fuck. for me lately ive started melting words and phrases together. today i turned "fuck off" and "shut up" into "fuck up". people where like wha???. i'll start to say one word, then change my mind and pick a different word and they get melted together when they come out. sometimes i slur words or just say a completely different word then i ment to say. it might have to do with weed cuz it was never like this before i started and i toke a fair amount but i dunno.....

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Stutter? [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #2276542 - 01/27/04 01:54 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

my mom did something similar to this when i was younger. her bosses wife was in the hospital with some random surgery. my mom tried to say "bless her little heart" and "bless her soul", but it came out, "bless her little hole". i laughes my ass off for days and she avoided her boss for a week.... funny stuff.

i had a stuttering problem when i was a younger kid. i just started saying sentences in my head before i said them out loud. i still have to do it. not only does it solve the stutter, but you can catch stupid shit ur about to say bafore you say it. it makes you a more intelligent conversation.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleLeViTY
I missed theark.

Re: Stutter? [Re: automan]
    #2278517 - 01/27/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck! It happened AGAIN today. I was talking to one of my friends and couldn't get this one word out, I forget what it was. After I stuttered on the word, I made a really frusterated noise and started my sentence over again. This is so embarassing.

OfflineBigNerd
Sociable loner
Male User Gallery

Loc: local elementary school
    #2278860 - 01/27/04 07:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Come on Lev, it happens to everybody sometime.  How many people do you THINK you know who have never in their lives said something other than what they meant to?  'Cause if it's more than ZERO you're wrong.  Humans are imperfect creatures.  Shit happens.  Just try not to stress out about it and talk a little bit slower most of the time.  :cool: Nobody's going to think less of you because your tongue slips; if, on the other hand, you get all upset and freak out about something so minor, that might influence their opinion of you in a negative way. 

BigNerd

--------------------
Sometimes karma needs a little help.

Offlinesykobish Happy Birthday!
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2279219 - 01/27/04 09:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Don't worry about it so much hun.  If they are your real friends and are mature, they won't look down on you because of it, or make you feel embarassed.

I know a few people who have the same problem, but probably worse.  My one friend, Todd, has a very hard time getting out the shortest of sentences.  He will ask me "Are you going to the club?" but it will take him a few minutes just to form the words properly.  None of my friends treat him badly cuz of it.

I can just imagine how frustrating it can be at times but don't be so hard on yourself.  The more anxiety you cause yourself over it, the harder it's going to be to overcome.  Perhaps try reading out loud to yourself.  If you stutter, regain your composure and try again.  The more you do this, the more you are going to master how to keep your anxiety when it happens, down to a minimum.  The better you can control that, the easier it will get.  I'm sure we've all stuttered at one time or another, or messed up our words while speaking.  It's normal.  Nothing to be embarassed over.

:heartpump:

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2279792 - 01/28/04 03:06 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I read somewhere that stuttering and similar speech phenomenon can be caused by an over-anxiousness to express an idea.... One can simply not wait sometimes to get their idea out, and so the mind can get ahead of the mouth and mess things up - relax and take your time articulating.. I knew one person who stuttered a lot and a lot of the time he'd be trying to say something and I could see how frustrated he was getting, sometime's he'd even just say "forget it" or "nevermind." Oddly enough, the releasing/relaxing dismissal comments ("I won't bother") always came out perfectly because he had given up the stress and just ended it - I think the same thing could be done without losing the idea.. merely settle down a bit and get back to thinking about what you were going to say instead of how its exiting your larynx

edit: actually I've noticed taht I get very frustrated talking with my parents sometimes, because it feels like they should know what I'm trying to say at the moment, so it pisses me off that I even have to talk (probably a symptom of some other major issue of mine lol), and that fucks up my ability to speak - then noticing that my ability to speak is fucked-up can make it even worse. A deep breath and re-focusing on the idea I was expressing is usually what does it for me

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: Stutter? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2280995 - 01/28/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Oddly enough, the releasing/relaxing dismissal comments ("I won't bother") always came out perfectly because he had given up the stress and just ended it

exactly! performance anxiety is the main cause of stuttering ... like a singer not hitting the right notes when, oddly enough, the night before she sang perfectly by herself in her home, etc ...

i have found that i can draw as well as i do because i have no anxiety about what i am putting on the page, and so my mind is clear of thought, and thus i can express the idea somewhat flawlessly

i am not so sure about specific cases of stuttering, but i know for fact that anxiety is often the most likely cause

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2285623 - 01/29/04 10:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

There is a device that cures this, at least the kind of stuttering I'm talking about.

su-su-su-sally w-we-we-went etc.

Something about your own brain listening to you talk makes it anticipate what you are going to say, you end up trying to restart saying the same thing over and over again. This device you put in your ear picks up the sound of your voice and plays it back a fraction of a second later. This lets a stutter speak without having his/her own brain self-sabotage. The discovery came about when (for some reason) people were letting regular people (not stutterers) hear there own voice delayed as they were talking, and they started to stutter.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder