Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Let's Make a Fried Rice Archive * 2
    #2266171 - 01/23/04 03:17 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was discussin this with Kremlin a couple nights ago, and it always seemed like a good idea.

So lets say you have those days where you just don't have the time to think up of new creative meals. Fried rice (flied lice) is perhaps the most wonderful culinary creation to come out of asia-land.

All you need is a wok, a rice cooker, and whatever ingrediants you deam necessary.

All fried rices have a couple basic fundamental ingrediants you should ALWAYS use as your framework.

-Rice
-Small cuts of meat
-Vegies
-Sauce

All except the rice is open to variability based on your preferrances. You can go CRAZY with these things, but there are guidelines i recomend you follow by.

-Use sticky rice. Don't EVER use drier rice for fried rice cooking. Since you're already adding cooked rice to be re-heated in the wok, you want the most moist rice, so that when your rice is re-cooked, the excess moisture that evaporates off leaves the rice in the appropriate normalized texture.

Preparing the rice properly is critical. Alot of people like to just add water to the steaming pot with the rice and just stick it into the pressure cooker. Nuh uh. When you do this, you probably notice a cloudy white layer forming above the submerged rice. This is the nasty preservatives FROM the rice floating to the surface of the water.

That shit makes it taste nasty. Always you should properly rinse your rice in the cooking pot, 2-3 times. Just add tape water, shake up the rice inside the water with your hands, and dump out the water + preservative waste. After about 2-3 rinses, you'll probably notice that the next time you add water to the uncooked rice pot, the water itself becomes more clear. THis is when you know your rice is free from as many nasty-tasting preservatives as possible. For the final water that you're actually going to be cooking the rice in, USE FILTERED DRINKING WATER. Either use that britta filter pitcher, or the drinking water tap on your faucet.

Some people like to use chicken broth to cook their rice in. I say...fuck THAT! Rice has it's own NATURAL flavor that anyone with tastebuds an appreciate. Call me a purist, but I think cooking rice in flavored broth is just BLASPHEMY to the asian code of rice cooking.

To make the rice extra sticky, add a little bit more water than the suggested dose based on the # of cups of rice. By a little bit, I mean so that the water layer is about a millimeter above the suggested water line. Then it is ALSO critical that you let this water-rice pot mixture sit, uncooking, for about 20-30 minutes. It's one of those asian house-hold secrets which makes rice always come out cooked at the most desirable texture.

After the rice has cooked, let it sit for about 15 minutes with the cooker on the "keep warm" setting. Even when rice is freshly cooked, it's not recomended to serve it right away. The rice is WAY too soggy. Get your scooper and mix up the rice in the cooking pot so the steam and moisture layers can intertwine. Usually right after done steaming, the rice on the top of the pot is the most moist, and driest towards the bottom of the pot. Mix it up! Share the steam-cook luvin!

So rice is now done, PROPERLY cooked. If you followed all my little paranoia-driven cooking quircks, you'll probably notice your rice tastes alot fresher than before, and a much more pleasant texture of PERFECTION!

Now, on with the rest of the cookage. Scoop your rice into a bowl, plastic wrap it, fridge for atleast 3 hours. You want the rice to be a little cold. The MOST you should fridge your rice for is about a 24 hour window. If you try to fry rice hot off of the steamer, it will brown and be a little burnt. Nasty.

So, bust out your wok. Set it to HIGH heat setting. The first thing you add is your veggie oil. With this, your raw, marinated meat.

Meats suggested to use:
-Small steak cuts
-Most types of seafood meats
-Shellfish (shrimp, shredded lobster meat, blue crab, scallops)
-Spam
-Bacon

Any types of meat which WONT DRY UP after they're cooked is the best to use. I try to avoid chicken and most fowl.

Cook the meat through. Afterwards, add HALF of your sauce mixture with the cooked meat and vegetables. These can ALSO be variable depended on your likings.

For sauces, you want things which have a very liquid consistency which will soak up into the rice and ALSO WORKS WELL WTH RICE. You can be as daring as you need to be. Traditionally people use sesame oil with soy sauce, a dash of vinegar, and about a tablespoon of pepperpaste.

For vegetables, you want things which will be SOFTENED after cooking. Green onions are always good. Carrots cut VERY VERY small. Shallots, tiny cuts of roasted garlic cloves, green peas, small shreds of lettuce is also good.

After this has all mixed in, and starts steaming, you'll notice your kitchen filling with an amazingly sexual aroma. That is when you turn your heat to medium, add in the cold rice, mix thoroughly.

Now, with the OTHER HALF of your sauce base, you add it in after the rice. THis allows more consistent distribution of sauce to soak up with the rice. Mix mix mix. You can tell it's done when the rice itself starts steaming up again. Mmmmm....

Scoop up onto a plate. Add minimal garnish. (Usually a couple cilantro leaves will do) and serve.

So, as the titel of this thread reads "archive". The beauty of fried rice is the vast variability of sauce/veggy/meat combinations you can mix amd match. I want to see what combinations you people have tried out, sauce-veggie-meat mixture. Of course you can have more than one variety per categorie. Don't feel resctricted to using only ONE KIND of meat in your fried rice.

GO CRAZY WITH IT!!!!

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
Re: Let's Make a Fried Rice Archive [Re: LiquidSmoke] * 1
    #2266202 - 01/23/04 03:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

sounds dericious

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2266385 - 01/23/04 04:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting thread... particularly so because I never give much thought to fried rice.  Ever since going to those take out Chinese joints with their shitty egg/pea/sprouts fried rice I had given up on the idea of cooking my own. 

However, thanks to you.. I now see light at the end of the tunnel!!  :eyemouth:

Your tips on making a good sticky rice are much appreciated, I always wondered how you asians did it :grin:
However, I will firmly stand by the fact that any type of broth or stock definitely has a place in cooking rice.  With fried rice, perhaps not - but do not discount the awesome power of animal juice :syringe: :tongue2:

I will report back once I have had time to experiment.  :shiftyeyes:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #2269081 - 01/24/04 07:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Most recipes for fried rice I have encountered state the rice should be day old, does this day old rice really make that much of a difference?

--------------------
The pleasure of satisfying a savage instict undomesticated by the ego is uncomparaby much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct.
S. Freud

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Let's Make a Fried Rice Archive [Re: EnlightenedFreak] * 1
    #2271370 - 01/25/04 11:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'd imagine they state that simply because it's common practice... in that once the rice is a day old, it won't taste as good on its own so may as well fry it up with some more flavour!  Fresh rice would probably just make your fried rice even better :grin:

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#2273089 - 01/25/04 10:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The rice could be refrigerated a day. That's fine.

As long as it's cooled down below room temperature and not completeley straight outta the cooker you should be well off.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

#2273446 - 01/26/04 12:47 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds great, I must fry up a batch. The one thing I need to taste is the sesame oil. Mmmmm, I don't know why but I dont feel as though it's fried rice unless I can taste the Sesame Oil.

--------------------
The pleasure of satisfying a savage instict undomesticated by the ego is uncomparaby much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct.
S. Freud

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#2275198 - 01/26/04 04:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i make my friend rice with whatever oil there is...even with olive oil to fry the onions and the egg in...still comes out relatively ok

and the day old rice is good cause it sticks together and the consistency is just right...though i've also broken the rule and made fried rice with freshly cooked rice

OfflineEnlightenedFreak
Lurk-er

Re: Let's Make a Fried Rice Archive [Re: boO] * 1
    #2275974 - 01/26/04 09:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Do you have a preference to the sort of oil? I know the smoking point of olive oil is low compared to that of other's oil, do you think it makes much of a difference?

--------------------
S. Freud

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#2276092 - 01/26/04 10:14 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Flavour wise, there is a slight difference.

I think sesame oil is what's traditionally used for fried rices...

Sesame oil and soy sauce have always worked well together. Here's a quick tip, for good asian dipping sauce for any dimsum-esque food:

50% Soy Sauce
30% Sesame Oil
20% Chili Pepper paste

Some restaurants call it their "secret sauce" and make asian-food-ignorants pay alot for it.

--------------------

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#2284559 - 01/29/04 03:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Here's amongst the first couple I've tried:

Sauce Base:
-Soy Sauce
-Sesame Oil (equal amounts with soy sauce)
-a hint of vinegar
-hot chili paste
-sprinkles sesame seeds

Meat:
-Shrimp marinated in crushed pepper flakes, a dab of chili-infused olive oil, dried cilantro flakes

Veggies:
-Shallots
-Fresh Cilantro
-Peas
-Small cut cubes of carrots
-Shreads of lettus (to cool down the spice)

This is an L_S original.  It's spicey as fuck, so I decided to name it "Asian Shrimp Fury".

Served best with green tea and an iron stomach. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

#2285703 - 01/29/04 10:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Iron stomach ready and waiting!.. you best cook up some of this shit next time we be burnin' a fatty at yo' casa :tongue2::spliff:

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Re: Let's Make a Fried Rice Archive [Re: geokills]
    #27903392 - 08/14/22 04:25 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
Interesting thread... particularly so because I never give much thought to fried rice.  Ever since going to those take out Chinese joints with their shitty egg/pea/sprouts fried rice I had given up on the idea of cooking my own. 

However, thanks to you.. I now see light at the end of the tunnel!!  :eyemouth:

Well, it's been eighteen and a half years, and I'm finally going to contribute some fried rice to this thread! :lol:

I've actually been enjoying making my own fried rice for many years now, but somehow just rediscovered this old thread.

Today's fried rice was more pork belly than rice, but who's going to complain about that, really? :tongue2:

--------------------

--------------------
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom