Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: should I cold shock [Re: simplemachine]
    #2272990 - 01/25/04 09:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

simplemachine said:
good for you! Don't cave under pressure to support your opinions with factual evidence. :grin:

SM

take a look at the geographical locations where cubes occur naturaly.
do you honestly think that the temps in these places ever get anywhere near as cold as the inside of your fridge.

cubes have no use of such low temps.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: should I cold shock [Re: toikey]
    #2273007 - 01/25/04 09:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

toikey said:
cold shock (as far as i understand) is to be performed on colonised casings that are ready to fruit or have and are on latter flushes

the "cold shock" (fridge time) is meant to help the mycellium start an even pinset by encouraging it to pin as a response to the cold. cold can also be used to further entice mycellium that isnt fruiting to fruit (after harassment by contams or mistakes etc)

if you just cased it 4 hours ago then the mycellium hasnt had time to patch itself and spread through the casing so cold shocking will only slow the growth of the myc through the poo or whatever... hence hanky ses wait till its FINISHED incubating (a week or so from now?) and THEN cold shock... before its journey to the moist environment

no thats a differnt casing I have cased and patched it and just patched for the last time 3 hours ago so in the morning it will be evenly collinized. I am great at getting even collinization without overlay and usually good pinsets I just want it to pin faster and I thought this was a way to do so

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: should I cold shock [Re: fee]
    #2273056 - 01/25/04 10:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Fuck 'em, cold shock."
-Napoleon Bonaparte

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Anonymous

#2273067 - 01/25/04 10:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

its only beneficial to cold shock a casing on its second flush IMO
there is not really any point doing it on the first cause you have to incubate it for 72 hrs anyway after you have spawned it

Anonymous

Re: should I cold shock [Re: ]
    #2273104 - 01/25/04 10:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

what? it incubated for like 8 days then has been cased for 4 days so I would get even colinization. Where does this 72 hrs come into play? me no comprehend

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: fee]
    #2273169 - 01/25/04 10:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Anonymous

Re: should I cold shock [Re: OldSpice]
    #2273204 - 01/25/04 11:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

not before?

Anonymous

#2273268 - 01/25/04 11:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well..after my wbs is fully colonised (which was incubated via the pf tek),then i spawn the colonised wbs to the poo,then i incubate it for another 72 hrs so the wbs can colonise the poo,
then dunk and cold shock and recase after the first flush...capeesh?

Anonymous

#2273317 - 01/25/04 11:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

that makes sense my colinization rate takes longer as I do a 1 to 6 ratio thats why the 72 hours didnt make sense

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2273570 - 01/26/04 01:58 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#2276259 - 01/26/04 11:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

LOL, wow, alot of good information from everyone. Fee. Yes cold shocking is a practice used to initiate pinning in commercial mushroom production.The refrigerator is an extreme shock, however it is effective, and no this isnt opinion, its a standard practice. Since I have been gone from the board soo long I guess my credit has deminished, so I'll reference Mr. Stamets and Mr. Chilton from "The Mushroom Cultivator"-... The first step in the pinhead initiation process is to lower the substrate and air temperature from the mycelial growth optimum to the fruiting stage. This temperature "shock" is accomplished by ventilation with a large volume of cool fresh air, thereby lowering the room's temperature to a point 5-20 degree's below the optimum for spawn running...The length of time needed to affect this change is determined by the total volume of substrate and the temperature of the air being introduced. Within 48 hours, the substrate temperature should fall to fruiting temperatures, effectivly slowing vegitative growth. This change signals to the mycelium that it is time to fruit." Sorry you dont know me Fee, usually if I post an answer it has been tried and tested by my friend and I give the results either good or negative. Yes the refridge is a crude way to do it, but look at all the other creative ways home cultivators do stuff. You can also use a cool mist humidifier, which gives both fresh air and cool mist to aid in lowering to the fruiting stage. Some times you have to shock the system or it will stay vegetative. Hope this helps you Fee. :smile:bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinebeanchild
bean
Re: should I cold shock [Re: Hanky]
    #2276789 - 01/27/04 05:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

hanky, i believe mushroom season takes place from sep-nov in oregon/washinton and it certainly gets as low as 40-50 degrees, 12 hours temp drop says hello, it's fall, it's time to fruit!

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: should I cold shock [Re: bluhoney]
    #2276952 - 01/27/04 08:04 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This guy I know used to just turn his heater(s) and his heat off overnight this time of year...all the blankets on his bed seemed to help.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Anonymous

Re: should I cold shock [Re: simplemachine]
    #2277487 - 01/27/04 11:43 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

good for you! Don't cave under pressure to support your opinions with factual evidence.

go over to the growlogs and pics forum and take a look at some of hanky's flushes.

Anonymous

Re: should I cold shock [Re: Hanky]
    #2277725 - 01/27/04 01:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hanky said:
Quote:

simplemachine said:
good for you! Don't cave under pressure to support your opinions with factual evidence. :grin:

SM

take a look at the geographical locations where cubes occur naturaly.
do you honestly think that the temps in these places ever get anywhere near as cold as the inside of your fridge.

cubes have no use of such low temps.

in florida at nite it gets to about 45 degrees at nite all the time and cubes flurish thier so how does that make sense. my fridge is about 48 49 degrees

Anonymous

#2282348 - 01/28/04 11:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

from what ive read, im going to have to agree with hank dawg on this. Cubes fruit YEAR ROUND(unless its fucking winter, lets not get smart.) and temps dont always drop to as low as 40 in summer time, but yet they can and do fruit during summer. So for Cubensis, it must not matter to be cold shocked, what i believe matters the most is fresh air, and LIGHT. thats just my 2 cents as a newbie, what the hell do i know.

I only ever cold shocked cakes(but only because i dunked the cakes)....never a casing. I seen hanky's grows, and that man obviously knows wtf he is doing. As far as i can tell, it dont matter, the only benefit would be to stop growth to prevent overlay, but if your giving it air exchange and light, then pinning is going to be triggered regardless of being exposed to cold temps for a short time, IMHO

Anonymous

#2282358 - 01/28/04 11:31 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

ya but cold shocking triggers pinning faster. You are right though

Anonymous

#2282380 - 01/28/04 11:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yeah, i wouldnt know, until i actually find out for myself. I'll see one day what the difference really is

OfflinePrankster239
Spore Searcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #2282755 - 01/29/04 02:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Can i also Cold shock at lower Temps?I have some Straw Logs with GT and they are to big for the fridge.I have some Chambers in my House where it is 0-3 Degrees.

Thx,,

--------------------
Support www.fsre.nl !!!

I love to grow exotics with spores from Sporeworks

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate