Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Ginseng growers? wild ginseng?
    #22694049 - 12/24/15 08:29 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone here grow ginseng?
this past fall I found a decent sized patch of wild ginseng finally (after 2 years of thinking I found ginseng and really finding sarsaparilla) and was curious about transplanting it into a more local spot (where it is now is a 4 mile foot hike into some somewhat thick woods).

If anyone grows ginseng I would be incredibly interested in your patch.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

I think the word is vagina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: Ginseng growers? wild ginseng? [Re: nuentoter]
    #22694332 - 12/24/15 10:48 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Where do you live?

Of the 19 U.S. states that allow ginseng harvesting, 18 of them require any plants harvested to be at least 5 years old with 3 leaves, while Illinois requires the plants to be at least 10 years old with 4 leaves

Ive never grown ginseng but it does not look to be a difficult plant to grow. Just dont let it get too much light. And check your local law on harvesting wild plants!!

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Ginseng growers? wild ginseng? [Re: Zombi3]
    #22696225 - 12/24/15 08:38 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Maine.
It's for personal use and for hopefully spreading it in my accessible spot of nature just to grow for years before harvesting any possibly.

I have found plenty of sarsaparilla in certain micro climate spots around. I know wild ginseng is considered endangered here and rated S3 (20-100 existing in Maine) but I believe that number may be skewed due to its very close resemblance to sarsaparilla.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22696232 - 12/24/15 08:40 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Please do not touch it if it is endangered in your area. Thats the moral thing to do.

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

#22696560 - 12/24/15 09:59 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

So the moral thing to do is not to plan to naturally propagate an endangered plant? Even if my goal is for personal cultivation in years from now and only for personal use. My intentions are to grow much more than I will ever use.
I'm sorry I half assed my former explanation. Trust me I have a much larger interest in the plant living and being viable than my willingness to wait years if need be.

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22696566 - 12/24/15 10:00 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I understand your intentions are good. But what if you kill everything you dig up by accident?

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

#22697026 - 12/24/15 11:55 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I see no reason to dig things up, the plant will happily and willingly give me seeds, just takes time.

I apologize if I am sounding crass,I am realizing this possibility and have no intention of it,tbh just a little hmmm altered.

I stayed before,I am in things for the plant, if I can help sustain a wild patch in a slightly colder part of their territory, what does that do to their genetics in a few hundred years? in a thousand?

--------------------

OfflineMandarinfish

#22697775 - 12/25/15 09:22 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Mandarinfish (07/17/20 08:23 PM)

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #22697928 - 12/25/15 10:19 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

nuentoter said:
I see no reason to dig things up, the plant will happily and willingly give me seeds, just takes time.

Oh terribly sorry I must have overlooked you say you want to collect seeds :facepalm:

Thats admirable, but I wouldnt suggest you dig up plants, which I now see is not your plan, so knock yourself out with the seeds my friend! :thumbup:

--------------------
Plants Love To Think

Invisiblespaceman101
Friend to all
Male User Gallery

Loc: In heaven bored as hell
    #22698436 - 12/25/15 01:45 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I'm in TN and I've never seen any growing here although I know it does somewhere.

I was hoping to go on a few hunts to find some and collect seed from if their old enough to do the same as you and propagate it for years to come.

These plants need a lot of help and I believe we all should hop on the band wagon to attempt to save this genus for our children, our children's children and so on.

Anyone got any plans?

--------------------
-------------

Check out my Pollen Trade thread for spreading Good genetics far and wide :grin:

Great Vendors thread where we can discuss "Non Shroomery" Vendors that sell good products worth checking into :stoned:

A few things I wanna get my hands on check it out and let me know if you have any of these:grin:

Need help getting started growing mushrooms
              Here's The Noob Forum

OfflinepoofterFroth
Feel Like A Stranger
 User Gallery

#22698867 - 12/25/15 04:12 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not certain because I've only recently became intrigued with finding wild ginseng but I think its regulation/law, that you must replant all the seeds in the same area that the plant was found in.

It may not be ethical, lawful or even practical to harvest and keep wild found gingseng seeds, even if your planning on replanting it elsewhere....

Quote:

nuentoter said:
Anyone here grow ginseng?
this past fall I found a decent sized patch of wild ginseng finally (after 2 years of thinking I found ginseng and really finding sarsaparilla) and was curious about transplanting it into a more local spot (where it is now is a 4 mile foot hike into some somewhat thick woods.

Do you have any good comparison photos of your sarsaparilla find vs actual gingseng finds?

--------------------

Edited by poofterFroth (12/25/15 04:13 PM)

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Ginseng growers? wild ginseng? [Re: poofterFroth]
    #22698886 - 12/25/15 04:19 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

No I don't, this spring I will take some of the sarsaparilla if you'd like. They are very similar with slightly different leaf configuration.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom