Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
We're not in Kansas any more, Toto...
    #2267274 - 01/24/04 01:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I met a guy (not at Starbucks) who was working on his thesis, which is why people live where they live.  I was interested in his thesis because of all the avenues that the question led down.  Coincidentally, tonight, someone started a thread in The Pub about moving somewhere else.

Why do you live where you live?  Where would you live, if you could move?  What prevents you from moving, if you could move?  What do you dislike most about where you live?  What do you look for in a place to live? 

Because I've had time to think about this while, and after, talking to him, I'll wait a couple of days, while you all post your "thoughtful" replies, to post my replies.  :grin:

I asked the guy to join the Shroomery for at least this purpose of discussing this issue, since he's up to 250 pages and has even lived in Russia and visited Siberia while he was there.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Edited by Frog (01/24/04 03:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: Frog]
    #2267351 - 01/24/04 01:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I grew up in Edmonton. After high school my dad married someone he met on the net and we moved to Oahu. Six months later I moved to Calgary, with my mom. Later I moved to Edmonton, into a place with a friend. Six Months later I moved back to Calgary.

I live here because the rent is free. I get fed. I don't have a job because I hate the idea of selling out, being a slave to the economy.

I would move to some ranchland and homestead, today, if I didn't think that I was going to starve to death.

I dislike the mental sheep I live with. I look for a place to call my own.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2267395 - 01/24/04 01:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I live here mostly because I was born and raised here and go to school here.

I live in Vancouver, BC and wouldnt want to live anywhere else. Good skiing, good pot, and mediocre weather are enough to keep me here. Plus, the city is clean as fuck and the crisp ocean air is so refreshing.

What I dislike the most about where I live is the amount of immigrants coming to live in Vancouver. The streets are becoming over-populated and asians have become the majority of the population. This doesn't bother me . What bothers me is the fact that many of these immigrants make no attempt at fitting in with Canadian cullture and isolate themselves. They don't even bother to learn the language.

yea, other than that, Vancouver is a great place to live.
Actually, I think it was voted the 3rd best place to live in the entire world, if you can believe that.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2267846 - 01/24/04 08:43 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. I lived there for seven years. Most beautiful and peaceful place on Earth, to me.
After 7 years of living on the island, I moved to Texas, (I forgot where, exactly) and stayed there for approximately a year. After that, I met my mother for the first time (as I can remember) ever, and then moved to Germany and left my father back in Texas.
We then stayed in Ansbach, Germany for quite some time...roughly a couple or few years. During that time, the very beginning stages of the Desert Storm took place, and my mother was sent out to the desert. So I had to move to Radcliff, Kentucky, to live with my mentally deranged and insane Grandma, who generally lived by herself. She was cool and down to earth, but very crazy. Deadly when drunk. I stayed there for generally about a year, and then went back to Germany. During my stay in Germany, we travelled quite often around the continent, went through alot of sight-seeing, being general tourists and whatnot. Then after a while, I moved back to Kentucky again, and stayed there for approximately 2 years. If I hadn't been born and raised in Hawaii, which created the distinct trait of my personality in that I rarely get bored, ever; I probably would've ended up squeezing my own neck in ol' Radcliff, Kentucky. Hawaii teaches you how to enjoy yourself and live life happilly when there's nothing in particular to do.
Anyways, after my stay in Kentucky, I then moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado and stayed there for about 2 or 3 years. Nice state, I learned how to ski there. Then after that, I moved to Detroit, Michigan, which is where the majority of my family is centrally located in. That's where I met all my other family members for the first time. Cousins, Aunts, Grandfather, etc. We stayed in my Grandfather's house for three years, which is where alot of my family member's stay at from time to time--it's a big house. My grandfather is quite a character, he reminds me of Tony Soprano, but on acid, or something. Anyways, during the stay there...I went to Naples, Italy, and stayed there for an entire summer. Italy was gorgeous. Really really unique from any other country I've ever lived in. I liked it. It was beautiful. Then after that we came back to Detroit, and lived there for another 6 months or year, and went to Holland. First we stopped in Naples, Italy and then drove from Naples, to Brunssum , Holland. Holland at first seemed pretty much similar to Germany for the most part. I had a visual of what Holland would look like based on what I've heard about Amsterdam being all crazy and whatnot--but it was nothing like what I expected. It was really nice and cozy and peaceful, clean, etc. But, Amsterdam itself was pretty much what I expected. Anyways, I lived in Holland for four years. It was an absolute frickin blast, and for all the reasons you'd expect it to be, and then some. I was really sad to leave. And anyways, I moved back to Germany for a few months, and then back to Detroit for a month, and then I moved to the lovely Pacific Northwest, USA. I've been here for about 2 years now. With my truckdriving job, I'm definitely probably going to be here for quite a while, I might just stay here. IF, though, I could seriously move to Holland, and seriously get a serious job, and seriously live there for the rest of my life, I would do it in a heartbeat. But, at the moment, I'm already perfectly content with just taking yearly vacationings there or whatnot. I can't really think of much that I dislike about the place I live in, at least at the moment. I guess that may stem from being mentally conditioned to easily adapt and live in harmony with whatever environment I get tossed into that comes from a lifetime of constantly moving around all over the world.
What do I look for in a place to live? Basically a general balance of everything.
Not too noisy/crowded, but not too boring and quiet, etc. and so on.
I'm cool with the Pacific Northwest as it is now. I just might make this my ol' home and settle down here. Who knows. Maybe I'll continue being the traveller that I've always been my whole life...
~The End~

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2267951 - 01/24/04 10:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i was born in edmonton, then when i turned 18 i moved with my mom & sister out east to some shit whole town in ontario. about an hour or so outside of toronto (were i currently live) i have been here for a year and a half, and on tuesday (jan 27th) im moving back to edmonton, my mom left about 3 months ago but i stayed behind to finish my high school. so im retty glad to be moving back, the majority of my family is in edmonton.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2268204 - 01/24/04 12:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was born in Dallas, TX. I've traveled to Europe, Mexico, and the Carribean, not to mention various locations inside the US (never been to New york or LA, though- I hope to spend a lot of time in these two cities in the future)

When I graduated high school about 5 years ago, my Dad moved to Florida and my mom moved out to the sticks, a little town about 45 minutes outside of Dallas. I had to sleep on a friend's couch for awhile to save money to get my own place. I worked at Whole Foods full time and sold a lot of dope. Didn't go to college right out of highschool- took a semster off. Then my dad offered to pay my living expenses and tuition if I went to college.

I'm not too fond of Dallas. Its a predominantly republican community where the only culture is biz. Even the counterculture here is all biz. Theres a lot of franchise-dominated shopping centers, tract housing, religious fundamentalism, materialism, and ignorance out here. I originally stayed here because its cheap rent compared to other cities. I also have a social network here full of people I care about, although it seems to be dwindling with age. People tend to get married, have kids, get real jobs and kind of drop out, you know?

I got a lot of friends down in Austin and a lot of people ask me why I dont move there, since its a different kind of atmosphere down there that I would probably find more accomodating. But I've noticed that a lot of my friends that have gone down there have gotten complacent- they've allowed their minds to soften. I kind of like being in a city that challenges me. Its like I'm staring the enemy right in the face, studying his habits.

anyways, as soon as I get my degrees, I'm outta here. UTD has a badass neuroscience program and thats part of the reason why I'm still here, too. But if current trends continue I predict that I will want to get the fuck out of here by the time I finish school.

I'd love to live in new york city, or maybe on a beach somewhere. Europe is cool, too. I might even go to Canada. I'm looking for a like minded community in the place I choose to make my home.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2268385 - 01/24/04 01:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

speak for yourself FROG, some of us are still in kansas.

I've lived in the same area all of my life. I was born here, I was raided here, but hopefully I will not stay here for long.

Things I like about Kansas.

It is secluded. There is still a lot of natural habitat, and it isn't uncommon to see deer, coyotes, foxes, etc.

My family and friends reside here

The University of Kansas makes its hometown the best city I have ever been to.

Things I don't like.

The winters. Kansas is moderately flat, and the wind just roars through. Chilly.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
    #2268410 - 01/24/04 02:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I live in Calgary as well, but I'll be moving in the next 3 months out to the Okanagan (in BC).
I was born in Winnipeg, moved to Vancouver when I was like 4, lives there till I was ten, then moved to Calgary, where my parents split up and I moved down to San Diego while they (attempted) to get their shit sorted out (living with an Aunt and Uncle). I live here because this is where I was left... Don't worry though.. that tornado's a'commin'....

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: nubious]
    #2268564 - 01/24/04 03:11 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I live just outside toronto, and i live there because thats where i grew up and its where all my family and friends are. Ideally id like to live in italy or greece, simply because they are both such idyllic places and beautiful. Whats stopping me? Money and the fact that i would miss everyone like crazy. plus i can only speak english :lol:

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2268674 - 01/24/04 03:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I lived in Iowa for the first like 14 years of my life or so. There isn't much in Iowa, of course, and I lived in a small town (a couple of hundred) and rode a bus to go to school in a bigger town about twenty minutes away. I really love the place, though, its where I grew up.. I can go back now and see all the different things and feel like it is home.... As it was a small town and I never really had transportation to go to the town I went to school in, there were just a few really good friends and there was a lot less pressure on one to fit some conception of who you were suspossed to be...

We moved to Wisconsin, and I soon began to love that place too. We lived in the country, with a big ole' hill behind our house. I really loved the landscape. The town where I went to school in wasn't all that far (walking distance when necessary... :frown:, but yet :grin:). I sort of started becoming who I am now in Wisconsin, learned a hell of a lot of lessons... (did some real fucking up too, wow!)

Anyways, now I'm in Norway. I had a rare oppurtunity to get paid to come here, and I seized it. Its allowing me the oppurtunity to fully understand who I am and to get myself in motion for my life... when I come back, it is when I finally "head out into the world", and I'm fucking ready! :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2268714 - 01/24/04 04:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Why do you live where you live? Where would you live, if you could move? What prevents you from moving, if you could move? What do you dislike most about where you live? What do you look for in a place to live? "

I live in a place called pittsburg, california right now so I can get some classes taken away before I really move out.

pittsburg is an odd town, on one side we have gangsta wannabees, and on the other side are the gangsta's. people get shot here constantly and that's why I don't like this place. I've had my car stolen before, as people love taking joy rides and then wrecking the car 2 hours away from my house. to give you guys an idea, during the holidays (so this happens like 3-4 times a year) a group of people will decided to choose a street and then break all the windows on all the cars.

I really want to leave the US. not for any reason but because I want to travel. my major will definately have me on the move consistently. the main thing that I don't like is all the attitude here, but I guess that is every eh?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineAmericaNightmare
fiend

Loc: The Hyacinth House
    #2268727 - 01/24/04 04:19 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I live outside of Sacramento, CA, and prolly the reason I live where I live is because Im near a city, so I can get to shows, hospital, drug deals, etc. without making a huge drive. BUT, im also just far enough out, that I have my privacy, ie woods to trip in, room for a nice garden, ability to play music loud without having pissy neighbors...so theres the reason i enjoy living where i do. eventually, i want to live in a desert, because no one gives a shit what you do out in the desert.

--------------------
Now, if I accept Jesus into my heart, I'll get to walk beside him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Did you hear what I said? Walk beside him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Well, kiss my crippled ass. God is listening. What a crock of shit.
--Lieutenant Dan

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2268863 - 01/24/04 05:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was born in Penticton BC (it's in the southern interior... the Okanagan region.) I lived there until I was 9 and then moved to North Vancouver because my mom had been in a long distance relationship with a guy there for 2 years and they finally decided to move in together. We lived there for a year (grade 5) and then moved out to Aldergrove, A really shitty country-suburb outside of Vancouver. We lived in that house for 2 years and then moved to a different part of the same city so I could go to a fine arts high school. I've lived here, Fort Langley for about 6 and a half years. I've just found a place in Vancouver and will be moving there in about a week. I like Fort Langley but its too quaint, there is little happening here that excites me, apart from the Fine Arts School but I graduated a year and a half ago, so now there is nothing here for me.

I live in this general area because I spent half my childhood and all my teen years here and have grown to love it. The South West Coast of BC is absolutely incredible. Trees, Mountains, the ocean, a relaxed pot policy (we have smoke friendly coffee shops all over the place and even though they're technically illegal they stay open and flourish.) The climate is relatively mild, not scorching in the summer and not freezing in the winter. I love the atmosphere. I feel connected to the temperate rainforest ecosystem we have, I'm part of it and even if I leave for awhile I will always come back.

I'm looking forward to living in the city because I'll be close to everything, a good college is a ten minute walk from my place and downtown is a 20 minute busride (as opposed to the 2 hours it takes me to get there by transit out here.) I'll be able to get connected to the scenes I like and find a job that is more suited to my personality.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2269450 - 01/24/04 09:02 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The guy I've been seeing in Texas says there is a rivalry between Dallas and Houston. Is this true?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2269457 - 01/24/04 09:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

lol, Ed!

Um, do you get tornadoes in Kansas? 

:grin:

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2269477 - 01/24/04 09:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Kansas is in Tornado Alley! I've seen one tornado during broad daylight, and several have struck my neighboorhoud during night storms.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2269493 - 01/24/04 09:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I live in the land of earthquakes. It would seem that tornadoes would be better, if you have to pick, because at least you have advance warning (I think, based on ignorance). But there's usually more damage, I suppose, from a tornado. Earthquakes don't ALWAYS cause damage.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2270041 - 01/24/04 11:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yogi Baba Hari Dass was asked "Why did you come to America?" and his response was "Why am I here?" [in the presence of the questioner]. The further metaphysical elaboration was that it was his "samskaras," the 'tendencies' from his last lifetime. He consciously had no thought about where he should be. Here, we can only answer with descriptions of our present lifetime circumstances, which 'appear' to be reasons.

I know this isn't what you asked, and I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but lots of times, in the middle of life, I've wondered "WTF am I doing here?!" One particularly poignant moment was in the Florida Keys at John Pennycamp State Park, where I had gone to get a better look at Halley's comet ('84?) Of course that was the surface reason for being at that campsite, but a whole tidalwave of events that led me to having met the woman who I married, followed to Florida, etc., etc. hit me with such cosmic force that I'm telling y'all about it 20 years later.

With 12 years left out of 30 to retirement, a career with a pension at the end of it, a way cool house that has doubled in value in 6 years, I remain where I am. It is here that I can realize that cosmic Truth that Dorothy realized when she returned from Oz to Kansas - that she never had to go any further than her own back yard to find her heart's desire. Peace out.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: We're not in Kansas any more, Toto... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2270049 - 01/24/04 11:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I so totally fucking agree with you!

I may be "here" because this is where I was raised, but I am "here" for altogether different reasons.

--------------------

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
    #2271103 - 01/25/04 08:59 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

im from southern new jersey. when most people here new jersey they think "stench, pollution, crowds, crime, bad," but south jersey is relatively calm, quiet and nothing like a big city. it's the reason nj is the garden state...lots of farms and nature and stuff. right now im living here because im not ready to move out on my own. when i do, i either want to live in lancaster, pa, or somewhere in california.

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains