Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
Is it safe to take off the tape?
    #2268458 - 01/24/04 04:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have somoe Jars,and some glasses that i am using right now.they are pf style.The verm barrier in one of the jars and in one of the glasses has colonized.There are big chunks of myceluim up top so now the barrier is kinda non existant.My question is should i not remove the tape off the innoculation holes now?Im afraid that with no verm barrier all the contams will get in.On the drinking glass i dont have tape i just have the second piece of foil still.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Is it safe to take off the tape? [Re: snatchcakes]
    #2268468 - 01/24/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

dont remove in this situation was the verm barrier wet when you did this

--------------------

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
Re: Is it safe to take off the tape? [Re: FallenShroom]
    #2268473 - 01/24/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Do you mean when i filled the jars?I dont think so,but maybe. and none of the other jars got like that,just jar and 1 drinking glass.

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

#2268478 - 01/24/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yea the ones with the growth dont remove next time wipe the sides down really good to stop this from happening again

--------------------

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
    #2268485 - 01/24/04 04:40 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i wouldnt take the tape off even if there was a good dry verm barrier, the benefits of air exchange arnt worth the consequences of contamination. not removing the tape will only cause the mycellium to slow down growth a little bit, whereas if u remove the tape and its contamed u just wasted the whole jar.

so leave the tape on until your ready to fruit, and next time you may want to check out filter discs, or polyfill. both are great for air exchange and you dont have to worry about contamination.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2268552 - 01/24/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Try this. Next time shoot up the jars and as soon as the myc starts to get about the size of a dime remove the tape. No reason to loose moisture in the substrate if myc hasen?t started yet. In a few more days after that flip the jars over.

The jars must breath. To leave the tape on will double the incubation time in some cases cakes won?t finish and people wonder what went wrong.

The whole reason the dry verm layer is there is so it protects the cakes when they are breathing, or you wouldn?t need to add the dry verm layer since that is the only purpose it serves.

By the way I forgot about some jars and the myc grew right out the holes and I never saw a contam.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2269510 - 01/24/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you are concerned about your holes, place a small piece of loose foil over your lid, thereby creating a nice barrier but with room to breathe.  Tape is counterproductive and requires thought about when to take it off, the time to take it off is when you notice slowed growth due to increased Co2 levels.  The easier way to combat this is to not use it :smile:

It is no big deal for the verm layer to be colonized either, good protection against attack.  It is very easy for your verm barrier to become hydrated during pc'ing due to movement of water inside jar/glasses/container.  You really can't avoid it if it is happening to you but I find a small sense of satisfaction when I can open a jar and see a massive layer of thick mycellium covering the whole thing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation