Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe moravica from the Czech republic
    #2260631 - 01/21/04 05:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Here are the first images of this beautiful bluing potent mushroom form the Czech republic taken by its discoverer Jan Borovicka, who also recently discovered Psilocybe arcana.

mjshroomer
These shrooms are from two locations which were first found in 2001 and then again the following year int he same locations with more shrooms than the last times.

mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStonerware
That Guy
Loc: East Coast
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2261505 - 01/21/04 10:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Do they possess any outstanding traits? Whats the potency level?

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody in the world who tries to makes us uncomfortable." HST

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: Stonerware]
    #2261567 - 01/21/04 11:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Some which were picked at lower altitudes were found to contain more psilocine than psilocybine. I have analysis here somewhere int he letters I reeeived.

mj

Will look tomorrow.

Invisibletheshiftingwalls
Divine state

Loc: Residing in thee Universa...
    #2261679 - 01/22/04 12:14 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Do you have any prints?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
    #2262148 - 01/22/04 05:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Here is a clearer image:

And here are some germinating spores on agar:

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2262193 - 01/22/04 06:59 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Anno, is that your petri dish :grin: ?

--------------------
er

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: Anno]
    #2262325 - 01/22/04 08:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you anno. Nice growth you have there.

mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2262643 - 01/22/04 11:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Lovely images. Awesome shrooms.

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
    #2265976 - 01/23/04 02:17 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

...sorry, it was a joke. i pm'ed mjshroomer with an apology

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

Edited by back2growing (01/24/04 02:03 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: back2growing]
    #2266487 - 01/23/04 04:49 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You have a real problem in that you did not read the above post.

Quote:

the first images of this beautiful bluing potent mushroom from Czecjhoslovakia taken by its discoverer Jan Borovicka, who also recently discovered P. arcana.

I never said I discovered it, however I am working with other colleagues on the taxonomy, cultivation, chemical analysis, SEM's and DNA of five new Psilocybe species we are now writing the papers on. Two are psychoactive (1 from Cambodia the other from Seattle) and three which are not psychoactive and were collected from two locations hundreds of kms apart from each other.

So go do your flaming in the OTD. It does not belong here.

mj

Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

#2266871 - 01/23/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I hope that guy was just jokin around.  I personaly enjoy your findings :smile: How do you distinguish a new species from one that has already been discovered?  Seems to me like they all look very very similar. 
-matt

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Trusted Identifier
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: forevrgrounded98]
    #2266951 - 01/23/04 09:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

>How do you distinguish a new species from one that has already been discovered?#
Mainly by its microscopic features, basidia, spore size and similar.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2267135 - 01/23/04 11:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ditto!

mj

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Slovenia
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czech republic [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2267382 - 01/24/04 01:43 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Great pictures! Yeah, forests of central and eastern Europe can be full of suprises.  :smirk:

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2267709 - 01/24/04 06:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Anno said: 'Mainly by its microscopic features, basidia, spore size and similar.'
But ofcourse the modern understand of speciation demonstrates that these characteristics are by no means fixed between entities, but generally range - particularly in mushrooms.
Ofcourse, as proper isozyme protein and other tests are not readily accessable to most biologists, they have to use these characteristics as a basisi for delineating their finds as a new species.
Guzman's reliance on them in delineating a variety of new Psilocybe species will most likely be soon demonstrated to be flawed.
If any of you are keen to add species to a RNA/DNA/compatibility study being conducted by Plutues - who is actually working with Stamets (yes, he replied to the emails!) to obtain as many lecho-type and type specimens as possible.
MJ and Anno Im sure you both have access to a number of good specimens that would help in his study.

--------------------

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2268017 - 01/24/04 11:00 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'm already including P. moravica / arcana specimens in my DNA analysis, more would be welcome - as would more specimens of Psilocybe cyanescens - as long as information is given about locality. This is important so I can build up a picture of the population genetics of species over their geographic ranges. I'm also looking for specimens of other Psilocybe species which have not yet been sequenced (will post a list here soon).
If you can help, please get in touch. Having the support of enthusiastic amateurs as well as herbariums speeds up research 1000 X I have had a lot of help from shroomery members over the past year and it is deeply appreciated

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: pluteus]
    #2268101 - 01/24/04 11:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I've been out for a while so someone please fill me in. We now have a resident mycologist who is studying the DNA of different psilos? And is looking for fresh un-sequenced material?

If so, I would love the mushrooms I have been picking for the past three years that I expect are a newly discovered active species of Psilocybe to be sequenced and compared!!!!
I have 3 active Psilocybe species total without a name or proper ID. Gaston Guzman has one of them and I regret sending it to him. Guzman is taking way too long not to mention his questionalble techniques used for Identification and classification.

DNA comparrisons will hopefully soon lead to a complete revision of how we separate and classify mushrooms. I had no idea there were people here working on this. This is great news!

Lizard King,

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: Lizard King]
    #2268126 - 01/24/04 11:54 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

LK,

While Guzm?n may seem slow to you, I must remind all of h you here at the shroomery that it takes from 6 months to three years for a published paper to b appear in p journals describing their uniquness or as a new species.

Notrhing is slow buit the publishing of the information.

Most keep it quite until the papers are in print.

And Pkluteus,

Pakitsin Shihanonth and I , along with Roy Watling and sev eral other students form both Thailand and japan, as well as a colleague in switzerland are currently conductin DNA, SEM, Cultivation, Taxonomy and Chemical analysis of several new species of mushrooms as well as a comparative analysis and DNA stutdy of P. mexicana Heim, P. samuiensis Guzman, Bandala and Allen and the newly discovered species from Angkor Wat, Xiem Riap, Kampuchea known tentively as Psilocybe angkoria Sihanonth, Allen and Watling.

This study also includes the Psilocybe violacea mushroom form Koh Samui (already Workman grew these and posted his results here and at Nans nook, plus two other non-psychoactive Psilocybe species from Thailand.

mj

And have a shroomy day

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Psilocybe Moravica from Czechoslovakia [Re: Lizard King]
    #2268258 - 01/24/04 12:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i am not quite as enthusiasic as some of you seem to be about the restructuring of the taxonomy by molecular biologists. while this will give us all insight into the corelation of species therein, it will confust things for home identification and the layman's understanding of the families/genera as a whole. most mushroom hunters are not equipt with an SEM of sequencing equiptment and this seems inevitably bount to devide the field, leaving the those people with the more practical need to understand the taxonomy holding the short straw.

i may well be wrong; but, i believe the standard for classification should still give insight into the accessable features/distinctions between the specific taxons. are we to need two systems of classification, one making useful distinctions between the species and one simply a map of the genes? maybe this is the path of progress in what must need to be two fields afterall.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2269591 - 01/24/04 09:42 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

MJ - it takes six months to get articles published in journals, but about half an hour of Guzman to examine the cystidia, spores and basidia of a specimen sent to him - and then get back to the person who sent it to him.
As for the studies - i always wonder why you inluce Ray Watling in there - no offence, but the guy's specimens of the mushroom that he helped Guzman delineate (Eucalypta) didnt actually have any of the microscopic characteristics that he and Guzman reported in their original article. He said it was a type speciment without actually even examining these - apparently deciding it was consistant because it grew on the same type of wood :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck