Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebent
bent1

Loc: ny
Multiple Bulk Bin Question
    #2262583 - 01/22/04 11:03 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

To maintain humidity and air exchange and temperature in 4 full sized rubbermaid bins I figure I could create an all in one box with equal length tubing going to each of the 4 bins to give them all the same enviroment.

For the design I figure I'll get a rubbermaid bin large enough to hold the humidifier/heating element i choose, and mount a hepa filter to that box so only clean air is being run through to the terrariums.

someone told me a while back to run a humidifier without water in a box to put air exchange in bulk bins like this, but being winter i also need a little warmth to maintain fruiting temps. in the bins will be a compost mixture cased, i want to provide a tiny bit of humidity for these bins, as the they wont really need it, but i want to pump a little bit in to maintain the casings moisture.

the only thing i am unsure of is what to do for heat. I'm thinking that I could have a large fish tank heater submerged in a container of water with with a 1:10 ratio of h2o2/h2o. this could not only create the little heat that i would need, but it would also create humidity.

maybe just the fish tank heater setup and the dry humidifier in a recycle bin with ducting to 4 bins could be what im looking for?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineParanoidSchizoid
Fun Guy With TheFungi
Re: Multiple Bulk Bin Question [Re: bent]
    #2262650 - 01/22/04 11:36 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like a great idea. You might have to crank the heater above your desired temperature though since the surroundings will cool it down. This reminds me of the bubbling buckets method for growing pot. A master climate control chamber with secondary chambers for the mushrooms. There are some similarities. It would sure take a lot of tweaking but hey, that's what it's all about. I'd love to hear how this goes. By the way, I love your signature....and your avatar.

--------------------
Growing conspiracy
Everyone's after me
Frayed ends of sanity
Hear them calling
Hear them calling me

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2264207 - 01/22/04 09:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thats a great idea. I was in my basement a week or so ago measuring and visualizing a 4 row, 4 rubermaids per row commercial grow. I estimated 10-15 lbs dry after 3rd flush. Not that i would ever actually have the balls to do it, but just to see the possibilities. :laugh:

I dreamed up a PVC pipe ventilation with moisture and temp control.
I would just drill holes on both sides of the rubber so the pipe goes straight through then have 2-4 1/4-1/2" holes drilled where the pipe would be in the container. I would face the holes so they point out the side so any water that condenses in the pipe would run back to the humidifier.

I would go with the water heater in a bucket idea. humidifiers are too much for most grows and you end up running it for just a few min. I think you might be better off having a more stable humidity which the heater in a bucket would do well.

Use a 5 gal bucket with the heater in it so you don't need to stay on top of filling it up as much. To hold the heat in wrap the bucket with the thin white foam that you can get at the post office (distilling trick). Tie some string around it to hold it on.

I wouldn't bother with running the dry humidifier for circulation. There are much better ways of moving small amounts of air like with computer fans. The only problem with comp fans is they don't like moisture. To solve this problem drill a hole in the top of your 5 gal bucket and glue/bolt the fan over the hols so its blowing into this hole. Then have a 1" or so flexable hose (hardware store) and attch this to a pvc pipe going through the continers. Have an end cap on the far end and drill holes in the sides for outlets as mentioned.

Power the fan with a small battery charger like for charging cellphones ect. You'd want a 6-9v charger to reduce the airflow to what youd need. The slower airflow will give the air more time to humidify and heat up. Playing with the voltage by either putting a dimmer or using different chargers for power would be great for fine tuning the setup.

Your setup should pull some nice yields, probably around 1/2-3/4 lb a flush.

-Gr0

Offlinebent
bent1

Re: Multiple Bulk Bin Question [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2264566 - 01/23/04 01:06 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

you gave me an idea, instead of running a humidifier dry just mount some fans instead, do you think one large computer fan that could put out say 70cubicfeetminute would be enough to run constantly powering 4 maid s.?

Offlinebent
bent1

#2264599 - 01/23/04 01:13 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

also another thing that your plan differs from mine is the pvc pipe. i'm going to run a more flexible tubing so that i can move the bins around, and also instead of running a line where the bins in the beginning of the chain will get more air circulation i will have an equal length of tube running to each bin. to prevent water being spouted out the tubing will run vertical up the side of each bin into an outlet, on the opposite end will be an outlet covered with coffee filters for air output. (i am not sure on the size of this hole). the idea of the flexible tubing will be that I will have a tank on top of another tank for 12 hours getting light for 12 hours than about every 12 hours i flip so the one that was on the bottom now gets the light, i am doing this to maximize my space so the footprint of 1 bin will actually be 2 bins, maybe even 3.

plan on creating a fulll tek with nice pics. will be spawning multispore wbs to worm casting to create superspawn than spawning this to horsepoo/straw. shuld be good

Edited by bent (01/23/04 07:34 AM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2265886 - 01/23/04 01:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thats a good idea, Using flex hoses going to each bucket would work best for that setup being 2x stacked and all.

Just use a 80mm comp fan or smaller. There rated around 30ish cfm at 12v, so if you run it on 5-9v it should push about 10-20cfm wich is more where you want it. You wouldnt want it to be running them constantly unless if your running it on extremly low volts like 5-7 or have extremly restrictive hose sizes (1" or smaller). Too much airfow would dry out the box, shrooms ont need that much fresh air to grow well but havinng slight circulation is good.

With my setup the closer continers wouldnt get more air because the holes are restricting the flow, this would be true if i had for example 1" holes. Either way ventilation indifrences isnt that importnt as long as its getting done. Most poeple dont even use ventilation/circulation because it isnt absolutley needed but it does increase yields.

I wouldnt bother with the swiching buckets for lighting idea, its just awaste of time and you you take more of a risk beause you might drop one. Also when your swiching back and forth the hoses will become a problem if they get cought up or somehting. Just put a 19w daylight compact floro at the top of each bucket, or if you cant find a daylight, go with the lowest watt warm cfl you can get. Run all the buckets off the same timer on 12/12. This will allow you to have a fulley automated system so you will only need to maintain it every few days, just to top off the heater tank, then harvest.

Build a shelf out of 2x4's a few inches above the bottom Rubbermaid so you can access the bottom continer without removing the top one.

Offlinebent
bent1

Re: Multiple Bulk Bin Question [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2266748 - 01/23/04 06:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

gr0wer, you mentioned special lights. i had christmas lights running last time and little tiny shrooms... maybe i need one of those lights you speak of... can someone elaborate?

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2266922 - 01/23/04 08:47 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I doubt the lighting was why the shrooms were small, that's more from the type of shroom and the medium there grown in. But if your intested in the cfls you can get them at home depot ect. Here is an example of what they look like, http://1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=3153
get a "daylight" spectrum bulb if you can because they are more blue spectrum wich has been found to increase fruits. the daylight are usuly low on stock becaue not many peope but them but keep an eye out, if they dont have any just get a low 15-26 watt bulb.

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2296541 - 02/03/04 06:21 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

For this setup i knocked up a very simple device that suprised me by its effectiveness

equipment

aquarium air pump bigger the better (more tubs)
Plastic tubing
rubber o-rings grommet thingos that fit the tubing
a large glass screwcap jar (2L) with plastic lid
Aquarium manifold device
airstones
Thread tape

so you drill 2 holes in the lid of the jar
insert grommets and push tubing through
one end goes to the bottom (inlet) and gets an airstone in the jar and the pump on the begginning
the second stays near the top (outlet) and runs to the manifold
the extra tubing then runs off the manifold to each perlite humidified or bulk susbtrate tub (youll need an extra sealing grommet to fit the hole in the side of the chamber for the air inlet as well)

To operate fill the jar with water making sure the outlet hose sits in the freespace. Use that white thread tape to ensire a tight seal on the jar. You may want to experiment with a non volatile antiseptic agent in the water - conc NaCl?

The perlite humidifier layer helps but this supplies 3 things
1) filtered air (through stone percolated through water )
2) Humdified air
3) Positive pressure to tubs

Works great - try it out

Edited by Mycena (02/03/04 06:23 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck