Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Terrarium too humid?
    #2266056 - 01/23/04 04:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

My friend has a terrarium that his trying to fruit some cakes in. He has the bottom filled with water, and has an aquarium heater set at low runnin in it, and an aquarium pump with an airstone. The cakes are suspended above the water by chicken wire, and there is a computer fan attached to the inside of the lid to disperse air and humidity evenly. The whole thing is dripping wet though, whenever he opens the lid water all beads and pours off the bottom of the lid and the cakes have drops on them. Is this too wet for a terrarium or will they be fine? My impression is that you can't have too much water with mushrooms, but I'm worried about contams in his set up collecting at the bottom, so I told him to pour salt in and peroxide every couple days. Will this be enough?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Terrarium too humid? [Re: biglo]
    #2266864 - 01/23/04 10:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

if you have a completely colonized cake contamination isnt really a huge issue in a closed terrarium, but yea salt and h2o2 will definitly kill alot of nasties. you may want to cover your lid with a LIGHT coat of petroleum jelly just to try to keep the moisture off of it so it doesnt rain on your cakes. water droplets on the myc. hurts it, and prevents pinning in the area damaged. i dunno if its an option, but u may want to look into another terrarium set-up, something with perilite would probably make everything a little more managable. you have alot of good features though (heat, circulation, air exchange). good luck, keep us updated on your experience!

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: Terrarium too humid? [Re: biglo]
    #2266883 - 01/23/04 10:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Your friend has too much humidity if on his cakes the mycelium appears to be adding "bulk". That is, the cakes are getting fluffier and fluffier without any pinning. That is a good sign of whether you are too high.

Also, be careful with the computer fan, if it is getting wet and it shorts, the dc power supply he is using will burn and maybe catch on fire.

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Re: Terrarium too humid? [Re: utopianglory]
    #2267140 - 01/24/04 01:18 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. I helped him create a new circulation method. The fan now brings in coffe filtered air and blows them throughout the fan. This air is also slighlty filtered by a towel over the whole terrarium.. Hopefully this will reduce the humidity and increase air circulation. If it gets too dry I can crank up the heat, but I think this will balance out airing and humidity issues together, otherwise I can help him adjust and find the balance. I'll also tell him about the petroleim jelly. I'll update when necessary.

Offlineask
apprentice
Loc: a special place
Re: Terrarium too humid? [Re: amyloid]
    #2267299 - 01/24/04 03:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

amyloid said:
you may want to cover your lid with a LIGHT coat of petroleum jelly just to try to keep the moisture off of it so it doesnt rain on your cakes.

that can cause mutations on shrooms though.

--------------------
without the bitter,the sweet is not as sweet.

wanting is good,actually it might be better than having-

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Terrarium too humid? [Re: ask]
    #2268097 - 01/24/04 01:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

if the petroleum touches the shrooms yea it can cause abnormalities, but nothing that is harmful. and i think it looks cool.

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation