Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Republican Hypocrisy
    #2265812 - 01/23/04 02:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I grow tired of the republican party's schizophrenia. Today, they are a libertarian lassiez faire capitalist, tommorow they are a fascist religious zealot. They plead both cases to two entirely different demographics and yet somehow come out with all the votes. Are conservatives unaware of these contradictions, or do they see them as a necessary evil used to win the loyalty of idiots and make their vote stronger?

I asked this question in another thread and recieved no reply. Would any of the conservatives out there be kind enough to enlighten me?

It seems to me that the Republican party is actually two parties rolled into one. On one side you have the rugged individualist lassiez faire capitalist who despises government regulation and taxation. A regular Dagney Taggart (anyone who doesnt know who that is should read Atlas Shrugged). We'll call this side of the Republican demographic "Side A"

On the other side, you have the religious zealot who wants abortion to be illegal (clearly a violation of lassiez faire), the guy that wants to use tax dollars to fund "faith-based initiatives". The guy that wants drugs to be illegal (also a violation of lassiez faire). The guy who wants to cram his religion down the throats of everyone using tax money to do so. We'll call this "Side B".

My question is: How does the Republican party get away with this blatant hypocrisy in the eyes of either side?

Dont the people who vote for side A realize that they are also voting for side B? How can they justify that?

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Republican Hypocrisy [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2265846 - 01/23/04 03:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe this image from a Republican meeting will answer your question...

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2265849 - 01/23/04 03:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Dont the people who vote for side A realize that they are also voting for side B?  How can they justify that?

They try not to think too much...who's the new american idol btw? :smile:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2265851 - 01/23/04 03:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

because if you roll side "A" and side "B" together..you get market fundamentalism...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: Republican Hypocrisy [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2265875 - 01/23/04 03:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thats all fine and good, but where are the conservatives?

stick up for yourselves, dammit!!!

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2265889 - 01/23/04 03:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Evolving is a conservative, but not a Republican.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: Republican Hypocrisy [Re: silversoul7]
    #2265903 - 01/23/04 03:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So who would he vote for then? Libertarians?

I think about half of the Republican vote (the more intelligent half) really belongs to the libertarians. But as long as its an "us vs the libbies" mentality, libertarians will continue to vote republican, despite the fact that republican extremism is far worse than any libbie I've ever heard of.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2265908 - 01/23/04 03:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I can't say that I blame some of them for voting for who they see as the "lesser of two evils," since I do the same. Despite some of my disagreements with the Democratic party, I'm registered as a Democrat, and usually vote for the Democratic candidate in elections, unless he/she REALLY pisses me off.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

#2265914 - 01/23/04 03:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yes, the organized power structures have taken what should be an analog choice and they have made it binary.  They play one side against the other and nothing gets done.  what a sad state our country is in :nonono:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2265922 - 01/23/04 03:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ya.  The difference, of course, is that the people I vote for really are the lesser of two evils. :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#2266076 - 01/23/04 04:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Evolving is a conservative...

From the political forum rules,
"NO FLAMING ...if you can't state your case or refute someone elses case without calling them "stupid" or an "idiot"..etc...Then don't bother posting here. This forum is for intelligent debate, not to try to belittle someone that doesn't think like you. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED ...choose your words wisely."

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Republican Hypocrisy [Re: Evolving]
    #2266083 - 01/23/04 04:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

:lol: Sorry 'bout that.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#2266087 - 01/23/04 04:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's okay, I probably deserve to get insulted from time to time.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2266367 - 01/23/04 06:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I really don't think there is a text book "Republican" on this site. I'd be curious to see who it was if there indeed is one.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Republican Hypocrisy [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2266383 - 01/23/04 06:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I agree. For example, I haven't seen anyone here side with the Republicans on, say, gay marriage.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2266490 - 01/23/04 06:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

it's not hypocrisy, it's political savvy. let's face it: they've just been more skilled at holding it all together - at co-opting different political movements and bringing them into the Republican fold.
imagine if the Democrats had been able to do that with Ralph Nader and the Greens in 2000...

Anonymous

#2266660 - 01/23/04 07:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

the republican party has people in it that i actually like (such as ron paul). i don't think the democratic party does... but maybe i'm wrong. i've never voted for a republican (but then... i've never voted  :shocked:). i'd probably vote libertarian unless i liked the republican on the ballot. the way i see it, the only way you can "throw away" your vote is not to vote for the candidate you most want to see win. (maybe someday i'll actually put that idea into practice...)

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger

Re: Republican Hypocrisy [Re: ]
    #2266711 - 01/23/04 08:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

why hasn't there been a movement among "real" conservatives to split with the Moral majority?

My theory is that the classic conservative values have no grass roots appeal. Thats why Republican politicians have to soft sell the family values crap. Without it, they wouldnt get enough votes. So, "real" conservatives tolerate this bullshit, even as their party is being taken over by fundamentalist religious fanatics with an agenda that is the antithesis of "real" conservatism.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2270039 - 01/25/04 01:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

stick up for yourselves, dammit!!!

I'm a conservative. I hate fucking republicans.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#2275278 - 01/26/04 06:39 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I consider myself a "conservative" in the "classical liberalism" sense. I am generally skepitcal of (I despise) big government. I am "fiscally conservative" in that I feel that less and less money should go to the public sector. I am "socially liberal" in the sense that I don't believe government should regulate people's behavior (unless their behavior denies others of their liberty). The big point on which "conservatives" and "liberals" seem to differ is this: "Liberals" believe that public programs often provide the answer to society's ills whereas "conservatives" believe that each individual should take care of themselves.
Quote:

Thats why Republican politicians have to soft sell the family values crap. Without it, they wouldnt get enough votes.

Because Republicans, and by extension the conservatives who supposedly make up their ranks, have essentially abandoned the ideology that government is the cure for all ills, the party of the "Right" must offer an alternative for the wellbeing that everyone seeks. That being, of course, the family values crap. This breeds a sense of pride amongst many of the right-wing "elite". The smell of this pirde attracts the most culturally arogant of them all: Falwell and the rest of the neoChristian assholes. Unfortunately, with the lack of intellectual integrity and the proliferation of special interests in Washington, the values of pure conservatism are contradicted by the very party that should espouse them. As for your question...
Quote:

why hasn't there been a movement among "real" conservatives to split with the Moral majority?

I think the Libertarian party is that movement. Unfortunately, the average Republican has no integrity of principle. Just like your average democrat. The "liberals" are always talking about evil government, yet democrats and leftists spend more on government (I know this isn't necesarilly true in America today). "Conservatives" (Republicans?) are also traditionally skeptical of central gov't, yet today's Republican administration has spent more than any other administration in history. I think the general muck and confusion of partisan politics today stems from a general lack of integrity of principle. Have you ever been involved in youth leg. or anything like that? Those experiences are eye-opening in that they show you how diluted and castrated the ideas of even the most independent thinkers become in the political legislative environment. Stand firm with a view that radically conflicts with the status quo (or tyranny of the majority) and you will be ridiculed and your character assasinated.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion