Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Dems speak on WMD's.
    #2263519 - 01/22/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

On WMD's -- what did the Democrats say?
Larry Elder (archive)

January 22, 2004 | Print | Send

Did Saddam Hussein and his interest in weapons of mass destruction pose a threat to the United States? Just ask the Democrats.

Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean (D), appearing on "Face the Nation" in September 2002, said, "There's no question that Saddam Hussein is a threat to the United States and to our allies." In February 2003, during an address at Drake University, Dean said, "I agree with President Bush -- he has said that Saddam Hussein is evil. And he is. (Hussein) is a vicious dictator and a documented deceiver. He has invaded his neighbors, used chemical arms and failed to account for all the chemical and biological weapons he had before the Gulf War. He has murdered dissidents and refused to comply with his obligations under U.N. Security Council Resolutions. And he has tried to build a nuclear bomb. Anyone who believes in the importance of limiting the spread of weapons of mass killing, the value of democracy, and the centrality of human rights must agree that Saddam Hussein is a menace. The world would be a better place if he were in a different place other than the seat of power in Baghdad or any other country. So I want to be clear. Saddam Hussein must disarm. This is not a debate; it is a given."

Dean, on "Meet the Press" in March 2003, said he believed that Iraq "is automatically an imminent threat to the countries that surround it because of the possession of these weapons." Yet, in his now familiar flip-flop style, candidate Dean later declared, "I never said Saddam was a danger to the United States."

In the left-leaning New Republic, Ryan Lizza wrote: "Did Howard Dean actually support a war resolution giving Bush authority to attack Iraq? The answer is: pretty much. . . . Dean himself admitted . . . that he did indeed support (the Biden-Lugar resolution). . . . According to Biden-Lugar, all Bush had to do was 'make available to the speaker of the House of Representatives and the president pro tempore of the Senate his determination that the threat to the United States or allied nations posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program and prohibited ballistic missile program is so grave that the use of force is necessary, notwithstanding the failure of the Security Council to approve a resolution.' Isn't this exactly what happened?"

Gen. Wesley Clark, before he became an anti-war Democratic presidential candidate, testified on Sept. 26, 2002, before the House Armed Services Committee: "There's no requirement to have any doctrine here. I mean this is simply a longstanding right of the United States and other nations to take the actions they deem necessary in their self-defense. . . . Every president has deployed forces as necessary to take action. He's done so without multilateral support if necessary. He's done so in advance of conflict if necessary. . . . When we took action in Kosovo, we did not have United Nations approval. . . . There's no question that Saddam Hussein is a threat. . . . Yes, he has chemical and biological weapons. . . . He is, as far as we know, actively pursuing nuclear capabilities, though he doesn't have nuclear warheads yet. If he were to acquire nuclear weapons, I think our friends in the region would face greatly increased risks as would we.

". . . I want to underscore that I think the United States should not categorize this action as pre-emptive. . . . This is a problem that's longstanding. It's been a decade in the making. It needs to be dealt with and the clock is ticking on this. . . . There's no question that . . . there have been such contacts (between Iraq and al Qaeda). It's normal. It's natural. These are a lot of bad actors in the same region together. They are going to bump into each other. They are going to exchange information. They're going to feel each other out and see whether there are opportunities to cooperate. That's inevitable in this region, and I think it's clear that, regardless of whether or not such evidence is produced of these connections, that Saddam Hussein is a threat."

Former President Bill Clinton, more recently, visited Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Manuel Durao Barroso in October 2003. The prime minister said, "When Clinton was here recently he told me he was absolutely convinced, given his years in the White House and the access to privileged information which he had, that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction until the end of the Saddam regime."

John Rockefeller (D-W. Va.), ranking minority member of the Intelligence Committee, said on Oct. 10, 2002, "There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years. . . . We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."

So, forget President Bush, Vice President Cheney and the pro-war "neo-cons." Just listen to the Democrats. On the issue of the "unilateral" invasion of Iraq, they make a pretty strong case.

You mean it wasn't just Bush?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2263531 - 01/22/04 06:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Good article!

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2263536 - 01/22/04 06:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Larry Elder is quite the writer.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#2263765 - 01/22/04 07:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yep and no one took a position that was in opposition to invading Iraq. Not in the Congress or the Senate. And the press didn't question it. You think they are privy to some information that we aren't. Maybe. Why would the press shut up though?
Why did they roll over and play dead for this administration?

Why didn't the press the mainstream press go after the Patriot Act with both guns blazing? How did the Liberal media become so limp? Man I wish I knew, maybe it because they are so damn Liberal.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2264371 - 01/22/04 10:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Powell in Cairo on February 24, 2001: "He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbours."

Two months later, Rice reportedly said, "We are able to keep his arms from him. His military forces have not been rebuilt."

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: afoaf]
    #2264614 - 01/23/04 01:17 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

That was before the Democrats filled them in in a few things.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2264616 - 01/23/04 01:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The Iraq war, yet another mistake Bill Clinton made...

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2264696 - 01/23/04 01:58 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

So both sides of the political spectrum are lying incompetents? Have you only just worked that out luvdem?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: GazzBut]
    #2264707 - 01/23/04 02:03 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Both sides?

Sorry my friend, but I believe Bill Clinton was pretty damned right-wing mostly, ol' Bushy is ultra-right wing.

That's America's political spectrum I guess.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: GazzBut]
    #2264855 - 01/23/04 03:36 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Don't give up your day job. A comedian... you ain't.

With two of the current crop of stooges that are running for the Democratic nomination featured prominantly in the article, it merely struck me as timely.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2265043 - 01/23/04 06:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What makes you think I was trying to be funny? You people who still believe in two party, right left politics make me laugh and then cry.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2265085 - 01/23/04 07:16 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You are right of course, I should have said the illusory political spectrum!  :grin:

Its the same in the UK. Everything has gradually shifted right until the supposed left wing government i.e Blair and Co is almost as far to the right as Thatcher was!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2265305 - 01/23/04 09:35 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

clinton was so right wing he raised taxes, cut military spending,
called for national emergencies at the mere sight of heavy rain
and sold missle technology to china.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2265387 - 01/23/04 10:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Corporate welfare went up faster under Clinton than since Reagan's day. Not exactly far-left is it.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: Xlea321]
    #2265433 - 01/23/04 10:31 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

not exactly far right either.

he may have pandered to corporate contributors
via tax regulation, but I wouldn't consider him
a right-wing president.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2265596 - 01/23/04 11:41 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Making the rich richer is pretty far-right. You certainly couldn't call him a left-wing president lets put it that way.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: Xlea321]
    #2265755 - 01/23/04 12:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Its all the same shit different pile...and both piles stink! :thumbdown:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2265815 - 01/23/04 01:00 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:  You're making sense.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Dems speak on WMD's. [Re: Evolving]
    #2265824 - 01/23/04 01:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I was inspired by your avatar... :wink:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top Pages: 1