Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo
Casings and Dunking?
    #2264361 - 01/23/04 12:15 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just got done reading a bunch about casings, but i still have a couple questions.....

What about dunking?  Dunking seems to be very important in cake teks, but i didnt really see it mentioned in the FAQs...  Should i dunk cakes before breaking them up to case?  What should i do between flushes? Dunk?

Do I need a spray shield, or does the casing layer act as a shield?

How do you pronounce "Coir"?  Ive been saying "coy-er" :nut:

What makes a mix of coir/verm better than 100% of the one that holds more water?  Which one does hold more water?

Thx for the help, btw this is my second grow only and I plan is to case 5 african brf/verm cakes in coir and verm!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNickster_154371
entheogen enthusiast
Male
Re: Casings and Dunking? [Re: DieCommie]
    #2264400 - 01/23/04 12:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

even tho im still a newb i think i can answer those case/dunk ?'s of yours. ok..from what ive been told i think its best you dont dunk your cake before you case, instead just go straight to crumbling for the case. But after your each flush, you can throw the casing material in a bag, fill it with some bottled water, and throw it in the fridge for 24 hours, then just put it back in your terrarium. As for a spray shield...im thinking maybe just some plastic wrap placed over your casing container, with holes punched in it, will do just fine. I dunno about your other ?'s, sorry, but i too have also been wondering how you pronounce coir haha. Hope that helps at least a little :P

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#2264451 - 01/23/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i think it's coy-er, but I don't know:grin:

don't dunk cakes just crumble case and spray the HELL outta the casing layer. spray every day until the myc breaks through the surface. do the same thing after the flushes. this eliminates the need for dunking. Coir retains more water than verm, and is prefered to 100% verm. I case with straight coir because it is soooo cheap!

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Casings and Dunking? [Re: simplemachine]
    #2264466 - 01/23/04 02:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i pronounce it like core

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#2264496 - 01/23/04 02:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

A friend has found that verm/coir doesn't dry as fast as straight coir. The advantage of having coir is that it changes color when it is dry. When it is wet it looks maroon, dry it is orangy. That will give you a good indication of when you have to spray your casing. I'm not sure what one of these guys was saying about putting your casing in a bag inbetween flushes. The thing is that you want your mycelia to partly colonize your casing layer. so you woldn't want to seperate it from the substrate cuz you'll damage your mycelia. Once you start fruiting, your mycelia should be holding your substrate, top and bottom(if you have one) casings together. just pop it out and put it into a similar sized container with some dH2O in it. Cover it and there you go. You might not want to try that on your first go, though. I don't know why you want a spray shield. Lightly mist the casing layer when it gets dry and keep the humidity in the chamber around 90%. You'll be fine. Dome tips. Learn about patching, and air exchange.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Casings and Dunking? [Re: ]
    #2264501 - 01/23/04 02:45 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

me too

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2264727 - 01/23/04 04:11 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Field capacity is field capacity no matter which way you go about it. The important issue is to get field capacity. Dunks do that.

Dunk the cakes over night, pat dry with a clean tea towel, crumble and case. Include a field capacity sub-base case layer and a field capacity casing layer too in the tray. That's as good as it gets.

After the flush is over, dunk tray under water over night, drain, re-patch and put to the fruiting chamber again. Does it work? I'm not even going to argue this anymore. Try it. You will believe. The trick is, make sure you drain it and empty the catch tray several hours later. You don't want it sitting in a catch tray puddle.

Of course, the trays will need drainage holes to do this, which is also why you use an inert sub-base layer, it prevents the substrate being exposed at the drainage holes, not to mention the extra reserve of water it gives. Shrooms are 90+% water by weight, water is key.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Casings and Dunking? [Re: Starter]
    #2264823 - 01/23/04 05:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'll do it starter, but only because you say so!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

i think it's coy-er, but I don't know:grin:

don't dunk cakes just crumble case and spray the HELL outta the casing layer. spray every day until the myc breaks through the surface. do the same thing after the flushes. this eliminates the need for dunking. Coir retains more water than verm, and is prefered to 100% verm. I case with straight coir because it is soooo cheap!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation