Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you
    #2261473 - 01/21/04 10:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2261944 - 01/22/04 02:21 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"It's no exaggeration to say that when you bite into a Big Mac, you're helping the McDonald's empire to wreck this planet.
"

Help me change my ways, I'm willing to learn.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2262058 - 01/22/04 03:41 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What's wrong with McDonalds?

Other than the fact their burgers taste like shit.... nothing.

They provide a service that people want, and provide employment (often first jobs for teens) to many.

If people are too stupid to make the proper choices when eating, it's not the problem of government to tag along and hold their hands.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2262087 - 01/22/04 04:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The WHO is talking about a lot more than fast food, right? They are talking about sugar, refined foods, etc. I just threw in the big M cuz it's so symbolic the junk food industry.

People in the first world get hooked on this shit when they are kids, when they can't very well decide rationally, and habits carry on...it would be easier to achieve healthy eating habits if the population wasn't subjected to all that advertising, for one. And McDonalds certainly does that. The spend a lot of money convincing people they want their 'service'.

"The draft plan suggests nations consider advising people to limit sugar and refined foods, restricting junk food marketing, improving food labeling and raising prices on unhealthy foods."

Sounds like a good plan to me, man. Labeling is long over due, and it's honest. Advising people with good advice is good, restricting advertising or put another way...lessening encouragement of junk food consumption is good, and everyones heard of the 'fat tax', which would raise the price and discourage junk food consuption.

Government should and could encourage society to develop in a way that is healthy. Even if it means McDonalds and friends won't make as much money.

--------------------

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

#2262153 - 01/22/04 05:57 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

And it is the industry that is behind this official objection by the US government.

Why does the US government support what's good for industialists with paid-lobbyists rather than what's good for the civilization? Everyone knows we should eat less sugar and fat. Why not discourage that sort of consumption. Why not subsidise healthy foods somehow to encourage their consumption and production?

Everyone knows that we'd be way better off as a society if we could cut down on junk food. But this neo-conservative government wants to let big junk-food encourage people to eat crap. That's what they are serving for dinner. Crap. And they let on it's good. Ol' Bushy doesn't even wanna tell ya it's crap or make it easier to get some good stuff.

It just further illustrates the character of this style of government. (neo-conservative). They never have any vision of society.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2262217 - 01/22/04 07:49 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

If people are too stupid to make the proper choices when eating, it's not the problem of government to tag along and hold their hands. 

what's funny is that the second the government starts regulating our eating habits, many on this site will claim it to be a violation of our civil rights (which it is) even though they now like to place blame on the company that is being regulated.  A vicious fat-ladden circle. :thumbup:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2262624 - 01/22/04 11:25 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
What's wrong with McDonalds?

Other than the fact their burgers taste like shit.... nothing.

They provide a service that people want, and provide employment (often first jobs for teens) to many.

i hate to say it but he's right. Theres nothing stoppng you from reserching dietary health and/or cooking and living heathily. Is personal respnsibility and we all have it. Im 22 and buy my meat at a butcher, vegtables at a market, and only go to the supermarket for things i can't find at local markets.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#2262628 - 01/22/04 11:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

carbonhoots said:
It just further illustrates the character of this style of government. (neo-conservative). They never have any vision of society.

It has nothing to do with government. Its not thier responsiblity to make sure you take respnsibility for your health.

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2262692 - 01/22/04 11:56 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

what have you done with the REAL Azmodeus? :shocked:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2262723 - 01/22/04 12:13 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I also have to agree with you conservatives on this one(perhaps just by virtue of the fact that I love fast food). The only fast food chain that I see claiming their food is good for you is Subway, and as far as I know, it is(not counting the chips they give you with your meal). Anyone who actually believes that McDonald's or Burger King or Jack in the Box is healthy deserves to get fat and die of a heart attack before they're 50.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: silversoul7]
    #2262744 - 01/22/04 12:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i swear this thread is becomming like Bizzaro world. I agree with Silversoul. I go to a fast food place probably once or twice a week but i work out so i keep that fat in check. Besides, my company caters our lunches so i can always eat healthy if i choose to.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2262858 - 01/22/04 01:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
what have you done with the REAL Azmodeus? :shocked:

I've always been for independant thinking. :smirk:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2262872 - 01/22/04 01:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This doesn't really have anything to do with individual thinking as it does individual responsibility....but i see your point.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#2262873 - 01/22/04 01:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck, guess where im going for lunch today?...mc. i shoulda made a tuna sandwich this morning... :rolleyes: :mad: :shake:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2262877 - 01/22/04 01:29 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

not when ya can sue, i say eat away. :thumbup:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: silversoul7]
    #2263840 - 01/22/04 07:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Oh come on you guys...the WHO is saying that the promotion of this type of food should be limited.

Being a 30 billion a year company (I hear that's the size of McDonalds market) gives you power. Power of persuasion through advertising, image consultants,etc. whatever money can buy. The WHO say there is a need to counterbalance this power.

And, for the record, I remember a few years ago that McDonalds had a placemat for their plastic trays that stated "McDonalds...part of a healthy lifestyle" and it showed pictures of 21 meals, three a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner, over a week, and McDonalds products appeared on one of the daily meals.

There are laws regulating the promotion of alcohol, smokes, why not junk food?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2263872 - 01/22/04 08:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

carbonhoots writes:

Oh come on you guys...the WHO is saying that the promotion of this type of food should be limited.

Limited by whom? Using whose money? The W.H.O. is full of shit.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with MacDonald's food apart from the crappy taste. Should it be eaten in mass quantities three times a day for the rest of your life? Probably not. But that can be said of a lot of stuff.

Being a 30 billion a year company (I hear that's the size of McDonalds market) gives you power. Power of persuasion through advertising, image consultants,etc. whatever money can buy. The WHO say there is a need to counterbalance this power.

The W.H.O. is full of shit. There is no "need" to counterbalance this "power". What steps did the government take to persuade you not to eat at MacDonald's? How many tax dollars were spent on converting you from a helpless Mickie D addict to a health food fanatic?

There are laws regulating the promotion of alcohol, smokes, why not junk food?

Standard Libbie answer -- "There oughtta be a law!"

Just because there currently are laws (which contravene the first amendment, by the way) restricting what one may say about cigs and booze doesn't mean there should be.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: Phred]
    #2264605 - 01/23/04 01:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You say some funny things sometimes!

Quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with MacDonald's food apart from the crappy taste

The first amendment yet, hardy har, har. I don't think it was meant to protect liars, but rather to protect the criticizing of authority.

Like those warnings they force smoke companies to put on their packs..."oh those unconstitutional democratic governments, forcing us to tell the truth, they should go to jail for violating the constitution if it wasn't for the liberal courts"

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2265044 - 01/23/04 06:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

carbonhoots writes:

You say some funny things sometimes!

Such as?

The first amendment yet, hardy har, har. I don't think it was meant to protect liars, but rather to protect the criticizing of authority.

Even assuming for the sake of argument your opinion of its intended purpose is accurate, to which "liars" are you referring? Which lies can be found in MacDonald's advertising?

Like those warnings they force smoke companies to put on their packs..."oh those unconstitutional democratic governments, forcing us to tell the truth, they should go to jail for violating the constitution if it wasn't for the liberal courts"

You act surprised that some legislators in the US have managed to get unconstitutional legislation passed. Surely you are not so naive that this comes as a surprise to you.

However, to address the issue of labelling poisons -- it is undeniable that nicotine is a poison. A hamburger is not. MacDonald's food is just that -- food. It may not be food you approve of, but it is nonetheless food, not poison.

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: George Bush to WHO: Junk food is good for you [Re: Phred]
    #2265341 - 01/23/04 09:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

it's not the food that I take issue with so much as
the union busting, poor treatment of workers,
waste issues, pandering to kidsat a very young
age and the pillaging of the 3rd world in the name
of a $.99 McCrapwhich.

but that's a lot to get onto a label....

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order