Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform
    #2261862 - 01/22/04 01:40 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

We will reverse 'absurd' reform of cannabis law, says Howard
By Andrew Grice, Political Editor
22 January 2004

A future Conservative government will reverse Labour's decision to downgrade cannabis to a Class C drug, Michael Howard will announce today.

In an interview with The Independent, the Tory leader attacked the Government's move as "absurd" and "without logic", warning that it would send a signal to young people that cannabis was safe and legal even though it was not.

Mr Howard said the reclassification of cannabis from a Class B drug, which takes effect a week today, will create a "massive muddle in the middle" between the only two realistic policies - the current position and legalisation. "After thinking about this very carefully, we have come to the view that the Government's decision is completely misconceived and when we return to office, we will reclassify cannabis back to Class B," he said.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=483527

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform [Re: Xlea321]
    #2261936 - 01/22/04 02:16 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Shit man, these politicians are tearing me apart. politics, I HATE YOU!

This world needs a good spring cleaning.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #2261973 - 01/22/04 02:35 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

What's the likelyhood of a UK Conservative government coming to power next election?

Think they'd really do it?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2262016 - 01/22/04 03:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Probably not very likely. Blair is so far to the right it's kind of hard for the tories to put any water between them and Blair.

There has been an awful lot of bad press about the decision to lower the classification - every newspaper over here right now has horror stories about cannabis driving people mad and being more dangerous than heroin (heroin doesn't drive you "mad"). Completly different atmosphere to how it was 12 months ago. I think the tories have sensed it might be a vote-winner to jump on the bandwagon.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

#2262099 - 01/22/04 04:30 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't notice the polls numbers at the bottom, it's still pretty close, eh? Even though Labour is ahead.

Does this downgrade in class for cannabis lessen penalties for the other aspects of the law? (growing and/or trafficking it)

Oh, and, who are the liberal democrats? Right, left, what?

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform [Re: carbonhoots]
    #2262114 - 01/22/04 04:51 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I think the downgrade has been targeted more at the possession side of things than trafficking.

Liberal dems are supposed to be in the middle between Labour on the left and the tories on the right. (Tho calling Blair "left" is pretty laughable)

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

#2262128 - 01/22/04 05:08 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Liberal dems are supposed to be in the middle between Labour on the left and the tories on the right. (Tho calling Blair "left" is pretty laughable)

Oh, that's too bad. I was hoping some sort of social democratic party had a chance in UK. Guess not.

Canada still has a credible left-wing party. The NDP. Every once in a while some nit-wit suggests they move right. Thankfully that hasn't happened. At least not in the way Labour has.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2262675 - 01/22/04 11:46 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Probably not very likely. Blair is so far to the right it's kind of hard for the tories to put any water between them and Blair.

There has been an awful lot of bad press about the decision to lower the classification - every newspaper over here right now has horror stories about cannabis driving people mad and being more dangerous than heroin (heroin doesn't drive you "mad"). Completly different atmosphere to how it was 12 months ago. I think the tories have sensed it might be a vote-winner to jump on the bandwagon.

Does anyone else find it incredibly suspicious that the first ever (as far as I'm aware) recorded death attributed directly to cannabis toxicity happened to someone in the UK, a week before the downgrade? It's amazingly convenient for the BMA, as it ties in with their recent warnings too.

Will we see such overblown reactions if the Police decide to cut down on speed cameras too? After all, decreasing the amount of cameras would surely send a message that speeding is safe.

Alex, do you see the Lib Dems as between the Tories and Labour? I tended to see them as further left than Labour and the Tories (which to me makes them about centre-ish). I may vote for them because I like the idea of proportional representation.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform [Re: Edame]
    #2262690 - 01/22/04 11:55 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for pointing that out Edame - it was something that's been niggling at me since I read it in the paper the other day. That's the first "death" I've heard of caused by cannabis too!

Certainly the lib-dems seem to be a voice of reason on drugs and quite a few other things. Think they could be worth a vote.

InvisibleSorted
Monkee
Loc: UK
    #2262850 - 01/22/04 01:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

All a load of bollocks isn't it. People won't smoke more because it's class C any more than people would smoke less if the Tories reversed things. Purely about scoring votes, not out of concern for peoples health. So that's one person possibly dead from cannabis and hundreds of thousands dead in the same time frame from nice taxable substance and safe prescription drugs.

The comment by that woman whose son hung himself because he smoked weed (in her opinion) probably sums up the general level of ignorance amongst the public.. something along the lines of "in 10 to 15 years time what will be do with all the mentally ill youngsters" which shows she has no idea just how many people have been smoking it for the last 10-15 years without all ending up in padded rooms or trying to hang themselves..

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform [Re: Edame]
    #2264064 - 01/22/04 08:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Edame that death was reported by a british tabloid known for sensationalist journalism. you sure it even really happened?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Tories to reverse UK cannabis reform [Re: d33p]
    #2264658 - 01/23/04 01:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I checked it on google and it's been widely reported, but knowing the shoddy standards of many 'journalists' these days, it wouldn't surprise me if it's been cut and pasted from one unreliable source. I'll have another look later.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals