Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungulus
casing query (expert advice needed)
    #2262513 - 01/22/04 10:22 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I finally have some questions that I cannot find the answers to in the posts about casing, so I decided to post for the first time. I have grown some sucussful batches and some not so sucessful batches and have learned a lot. My questions are as follows:

1. I saw someone (I forget who, but it was in the grow log forum) who cased his/her fully collonized substrate like 1/4 inch at a time and allowed it to collonize before patch casing again. He/she did this 3 times before fruiting. I wonder if anyone else has experience with this and what their results were. I want to try it as it seems a good way of getting a good pinset (among other things). Also, what do you do other than this to induce uniform pinsets?

2. I also want to purchase a garden sprayer to saturate my substrate while incubating. It looks better than simply spraying to me. What I was wondering is if you can cold shock with the water rather than putting the casing in the fridge i.e. incubating and then every 3-4 days soak with cold water until it drains through and place back into the incubator. Thoughts?

3. Finally, inbetween flushes is it a good idea to re-incubate? I was thinking of again saturating with cold water for yet another cold shock and then patch casing and re-incubating for say a week or whatever it takes.

I hope these questions are not to redundant and will garner some debate. Any experience or advice is more than welcome. I hope it will help to inprove my casing tek!

Peace, pot, and shrooms!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: casing query (expert advice needed) [Re: fungulus]
    #2262522 - 01/22/04 10:26 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

not sure of number one, but in my opinion 2 and 3 are bad ideas, first off you NEVER want to change the water content when you are incubating, only just before your first flush and between subsequent flushes. And its not a good idea to reincubate after flushes in my opinion because that'll send it back into vegetative growth and then you'll have to way a few more days to get shroomies... jus not a good idea in my opinion

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

Offlinefungulus
Re: casing query (expert advice needed) [Re: Yarry]
    #2262527 - 01/22/04 10:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ya, I was wondering if that was bad or not, like bouncing your pot plants. Thanks, Yarry.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: casing query (expert advice needed) [Re: fungulus]
    #2262534 - 01/22/04 10:30 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

1. Patching little areas that pop up too early is a decent idea, but be careful, as you don't want to over do it. If you make 100% sure to lay down a smooth even substrate layer, and cover that is a smooth, even casing layer, you will increase your chances of an even pin-set 10 fold.

2. You don't want to saturate your casing during incubation, you want to lay the casing layer when it is at field compacity, and keep it right there with occasional misting.

3. Never heard of such a thing, and can't fathom a benefit to this, but maybe someone more experienced should answer that last one.

--------------------

Offlinefungulus
Re: casing query (expert advice needed) [Re: JetBlackNinja]
    #2262570 - 01/22/04 10:58 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks, ninja. I have had no trouble keeping my casing at field capacity during incubation because it is of course covered. But after my 2nd-3rd flush my casings stop and I rip them up to find that the top is wet, there's a ton of ropy mycelium, but the bottom is dry as a bone. Oh, well, I'll try to get more uniform casing layers and my new PMP should help, but I still want to try "dunking" a casing. Mybe just do 1 of 4 on this next batch and see what happens. (inbetween flushes of course). Maybe in my quest for a simple tek I'm over-thinking a little?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds