Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJim Morrison
Lizard King
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Testing LC is This Contamination?
    #22603085 - 12/02/15 07:54 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I'm trying to test a LC sent to me by a shroomery member. I put some on PDA. Tried to get some decent pics, but they aren't so great. I hope they are good enough to get an id from someone. It looks like maybe bacteria? It's supposed to be Pleurotus.

--------------------
Jim Morrison's Trade List

Live Long and Myceliate!

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Ayn Rand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
Re: Testing LC is This Contamination? [Re: Jim Morrison]
    #22603920 - 12/02/15 12:29 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The slime and the shape of the colonies makes me think so.

Yeast and molds look different but contams are hard to ID.

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Testing LC is This Contamination? [Re: Toadstool5]
    #22605094 - 12/02/15 04:56 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

There is at least bacteria present.

OfflineJim Morrison
Lizard King
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing LC is This Contamination? [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #22605209 - 12/02/15 05:27 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I tossed them. I noticed a distinct smell of mold coming from them. How in the heck could the smell get out of the petri!? I had parafilm around it. Maybe the parafilm was not tight? I hope nothing escaped from them!

--------------------

Live Long and Myceliate!

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Ayn Rand

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

#22606828 - 12/02/15 11:19 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Parafilm allows gases to pass through so any volatile metabolites can permeate through slowly. You will be fine :thumbup:

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

OfflineJim Morrison
Lizard King
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing LC is This Contamination? [Re: Toadstool5]
    #22607222 - 12/03/15 02:10 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

It freaked me out. Anyone that grows mushrooms, hates that smell.

--------------------

Live Long and Myceliate!

OfflineJim Morrison
Lizard King
Male User Gallery

#22607289 - 12/03/15 02:42 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I've decided to Inoculate some rye berries with the LC. I'll grow it out and see what the contamination is, so if I see it on agar again, I might be able to better identify it.

--------------------

Live Long and Myceliate!

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Trusted Cultivator
    #22607316 - 12/03/15 03:00 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jim Morrison said:
I've decided to Inoculate some rye berries with the LC. I'll grow it out and see what the contamination is, so if I see it on agar again, I might be able to better identify it.

Good idea.

OfflineJim Morrison
Lizard King
Male User Gallery

#22620080 - 12/06/15 07:43 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

And here is what we have so far. Yeast? Definitely contaminated anyway. I guess this is why it's a good idea to test your LCs. Hope this helps someone. I will let it go for a little longer, get a few more pics, and toss it. Great learning experience!

--------------------

Live Long and Myceliate!

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Testing LC is This Contamination? [Re: Jim Morrison] * 1
    #22620988 - 12/06/15 12:35 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Yeast, yes.

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

#22621080 - 12/06/15 01:02 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

:whathesaid: definitely yeast, maybe you could do a smear to clean it up on agar? I think it would be easier to get more LC to be honest.

--------------------
- Paul Stamets

OfflineJim Morrison
Lizard King
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing LC is This Contamination? [Re: Toadstool5] * 1
    #22621151 - 12/06/15 01:19 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Toadstool5 said:
:whathesaid: definitely yeast, maybe you could do a smear to clean it up on agar? I think it would be easier to get more LC to be honest.

Nah. I wasn't too worried about it. It was some type of Pleurotus, supposedly. I didn't give anything for it, really. I sent someone an edible print not expecting anything in return, but he sent me this anyway. I have other Pleurotus to use. I just wanted the experience of seeing something on agar, and then seeing what it turned into on grain. Good to have the experience.

--------------------

Live Long and Myceliate!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale