Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
January Skies...
    #2261387 - 01/22/04 12:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The night is clear and moonless, but unseasonably warm. I find myself running down a gravel road. I am like Carlos Castaneda, practicing my gait of power as I trek down the road...

A half mile passes and I turn right onto a county highway. I meditate on a vertical big dipper as I pick up the pace and continue south...

I sense a car in the distance. Despite my bright clothing, I am aprehensive as it approaches. Sure enough, the driver neglects to see me and the vehicle wizzes past me just inches away. I continue on as I gaze across empty corn fields...

I intersect a hedge row and I know another mile has past. I turn around and I can now see venus hovering in the northwestern sky. It lingers just below the milky way, carving it's path like a canyon through the desert of space. To my right is a breathtaking cluster of stars. I am beginning to feel the burn...

A side stich is forming in my left abdomen and my legs are growing rubbery as I hit the 2.5 mile mark. I turn back onto gravel and break into a mild sprint...

Concentrating on my breath, my gaze falls to the ground and my feet are a blur against the grey rock. I round the top of a hill and speed up as I descend downhill...

I reach the basin and begin prepping myself for a hard finish on the next hill. My destination is in sight and I break into a dead sprint. I enter the here and now. Frantically, I push harder and harder and enter a zenlike state. Close to the end, I give my last effort and slow down. I walk for a few steps and lay down in the grass. A warm high permeates my body as I watch the stars...

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: January Skies... [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2262320 - 01/22/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice, Ed.

I like to run, too. I'm impressed that you'll do it in the evening. I can't run past 5 p.m. After 5, I have all kinds of excuses why I can't run.

When you run, do you get into that state where you sort of can't feel your body any more? You are just your mind?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: January Skies... [Re: Frog]
    #2262916 - 01/22/04 03:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Very nice, Ed.

I like to run, too. I'm impressed that you'll do it in the evening. I can't run past 5 p.m. After 5, I have all kinds of excuses why I can't run.

When you run, do you get into that state where you sort of can't feel your body any more? You are just your mind?

Night time is my favorite time to run. I really can't do it when I get up.

Often I feel like I cannot feel my body, especially on distance runs. That is one of my favorite things about running.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2262946 - 01/22/04 03:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Often I feel like I cannot feel my body, especially on distance runs. That is one of my favorite things about running.

:grin:

Yes, that's a very cool thing about running.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2263088 - 01/22/04 05:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I am like Carlos Castaneda...

You are short, chubby and out-of-shape?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

#2263124 - 01/22/04 05:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I often find myself in that zen-like state too. I run Cross Country for my college and sometimes if you dont concentrate you wont make it. Running upwards of 8 or 10 miles at a time is tough, you need to be somewhere else while you are doing it.

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: January Skies... [Re: Swami]
    #2263185 - 01/22/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

You are short, chubby and out-of-shape?

Short?  Yes.  Chubby?  Not really.  Out of shape?  No.

Do you recall "Journey to Ixtlan?"  Carlos describes the gait of power as he chases Don Juan through deserts after dark.  I always feel like Carlos must have when I run at night.  Thanks for taking that snippet out of context:lol:

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2263276 - 01/22/04 06:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I am familiar with the book, but it is fiction. I was mocking Carlos, not you.

I am NOT a runner as I am broad and stocky (and dislike running except for short sprints) unlike my dad and brother who were elite long-distance runners. They went to Newport, RI for the marathon and I drove along with me to give support and share in the festive atmosphere.

At the last minute, I decided to run it. Now I am not a total idiot (well...). I had done NO training and had never run farther than 5 miles once in my life, but wanted to see if I could go 15.6 miles at my own pace. The course consisted of three loops of 10 miles, 5.6 miles, and then repeated the first 10 mile loop.

I set out at a blistering 9 minute-mile which I hoped to maintain throughout. I was in pain and hobbling, but was making it down to my last mile when the top runners were passing me on the home stretch. They were actually 10 miles ahead of me, but the crowd did not know that. The people were lined up 5 deep all along the last mile, cheering. They thought I was the number three finisher. The real number three guy was gaining on me as he was running a sub 5-minute mile and I was slogging it. Who cares? I was on my own timetable. The crowd screamed for me to pick up the pace and not let him catch me. Suddenly, the pain and agony subsided as I got caught up in this faux melodrama. The marathoner was only a hundred feet behind me. Even though I was spent and aching, I starting sprinting as if my life depended on it. I kept up this pace for more than a half-mile until I crossed the finish line. I ran the fastest I ever had and did NOT let the bird-man behind me catch me. It was exhilirating and exhausting. As soon as I crossed the finish line, I collapsed into a fetal position where I stayed shaking for several hours.

Amazingly, I felt fine the next day with just mild soreness. Thus began and ended my "running career".

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: January Skies... [Re: Swami]
    #2263301 - 01/22/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I am familiar with the book, but it is fiction. I was mocking Carlos, not you.

:blush: Oh, well, yeah, I knew that... :blush:

hehe.  Cool story.  My father has run a marathon and we are planning to run one this fall.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#2263567 - 01/22/04 08:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Good writing. :thumbup:

Is your power gait running keeping your knees high with every stride?

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2263689 - 01/22/04 09:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i was going to start a running routine last monday, about every day i'd be running a couple miles then increasing...

my first night running was fine until i noticed my knee was a little sore on the way home. it was REALLY sore the next day and hurt mostly when walking down a slope and especially down stairs. i tried to run that night but got about a quarter mile or more into it when i hit a slope and i had to quit.

it has been sore for a week and a half and i'm still walking with a limp...i think i really fucked something up. it is underneath my kneecap and is only slightly sore if i press on it hard enough. i didn't know i could mess up my knee so bad with just one night of running...i thought it would be sore for a couple of days but A WEEK IN A HALF IS TOO LONG.

i didn't mess things up really bad, any ideas on what i did?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: January Skies... [Re: TODAY]
    #2263830 - 01/22/04 09:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you didn't feel anything pull or pop, my guess would be tendinitis, but I'm no doctor.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: January Skies... [Re: Renegade8]
    #2263851 - 01/22/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

...but I'm no doctor

But you play one on the shroomery...

--------------------

OfflinephEight
fate
Loc: houston, tx
Re: January Skies... [Re: TODAY]
    #2263883 - 01/22/04 10:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:

it has been sore for a week and a half and i'm still walking with a limp...i think i really fucked something up. it is underneath my kneecap and is only slightly sore if i press on it hard enough. i didn't know i could mess up my knee so bad with just one night of running...i thought it would be sore for a couple of days but A WEEK IN A HALF IS TOO LONG.

i didn't mess things up really bad, any ideas on what i did?

Is it under your kneecap or is it right in front where it feels sort of line a bone? If it's there, and you press on it and it seems to hurt, thats minor tendinitis, it'll heal with a little bit of time. If it's right under your kneecap, I believe thats where the cartilidge is, but I am not sure on that one. I've torn my cartilidge and have had extremely severe tendonitis before so I know a little bit about this stuff.

--------------------
"Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology