Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
rabbit manure grow
    #2260915 - 01/21/04 09:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Im going to be spawning some florida cube in WBS onto rabbit manure mix and casing with 1/4" verm. Its going to be in 4 11"x13"x3" alluminum pan. Everything is going to be microwaved. For lighting im using a cool 18w 2' floro tube about 9" above the media. I plan on using a humidifyer with a 1" outlet hose for an inlet and a tiny 30mm computer outlet fan hooked blowing out a gladlock carbon filter so it dosent stink of shit & shrooms. The fan and humidifyer are going to be on seperate 2 event digital timers so i can play with what works best.

Is that 18w 2' floro lighting too intense? I cant go any higher because the space im working with is only 12" high. If its too intense, i can put a strip of of alluminum tape on the lower 1/2 of the bulb so the light refects off the top first. Also i was thinking this should make the shrooms grow up more vertical. (thinking 2 steps ahead) is this needed?

I heard from someone that one guy here uses rabbit manure with good results(who?) and i have a pile of it from my rabbits, but what should i mix it with? I have allot of vermiculite so i guess that would be good to get some air in teh mix and hold some water. How much % verm should be good? Should i use hay i if can get it? Is hay that much better then verm besides that it has some nutes in it? The "bulk neglect" grow says that having exposed hay is bad and can caused problems for some reason, why?

Should i mix in some normal backyard compost to lower the potency of the mix? Rabbit manure is about 3x more rich in organic nutrients then manure and im worried about having any problems with this. Should i even worry about it being to rich or will it just make more potent and/or bigger flushes? How many flushes do you think i can get off this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2260943 - 01/21/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Edited by SixCee (01/21/04 09:39 PM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: SixCee]
    #2261027 - 01/21/04 10:07 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the link, looks like th guy needed to work on his sterilization, i think it just wasnt long enough "I sterilized it in an oven @ 200 degrees for 45 minutes with some soaked coir and extra water." If the oven is 200 deg i bet the manure barely hit 180 and if it did it was only for 1/2 hour, not near as long as needed for pasturization, let alone steralization.

I think that microwaving the manure well should get rid of any contams. Besides his contam, it looks like rabbit manure is some good stuff, lots of pins... Well at least where the mold wasn't growing.

If this is the only rabbit manure grow, i think i should give it a test run first with only one tray. Or mabey test with a few small pans with diffrent mixes.

Edited by Gr0wer (01/21/04 10:09 PM)

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2261273 - 01/21/04 11:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you're not putting the poo in the actual casing layer are you?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2261309 - 01/21/04 11:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Its going to be in 4 11"x13"x3" alluminum pan. Everything is going to be microwaved."

boom

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: llamaboy]
    #2263450 - 01/22/04 07:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

No, I think thats why that guy had problems with mold, he used rabbit manure it as a casing.

From what i uderstand you want to use a low or no nutrient media like verm,coco, soil ect. My guess is its so the mycellium grows up the casing feeding off the lower rich media. This dosnt give mold any good patches of rich material for the mold spores to start on.

Im going to be casing with 75/25 coco/verm. I just picked up 2 large bricks of compressed coir today for $6 each, it should last me a while :laugh:.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2263469 - 01/22/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Boom what? You can put metal in a microwave as long as its not like wire or something with long think points that will heat up.

Invisibletheshiftingwalls
Divine state

Loc: Residing in thee Universa...
    #2263495 - 01/22/04 07:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Um hello, you are a moron. Sorry to say.

Metal will expolde in a microwave.

I dare you to try.  :biggrin:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: theshiftingwalls]
    #2263538 - 01/22/04 08:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Metal will not explode in the microwave, but depending on the form and amount it will spark and heat up.
BUT, metal blocks out microwaves, so it might not heat up properly.
Besides, I think too much metal in the microwave could potentially harm it, read the microwave's manual.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: Anno]
    #2263599 - 01/22/04 08:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just took an alluminum pan and put some water at the botttom and nuked it for a min. The water and pan came out hot. No explosions or anything.

I would defenetly believe that it blocks the microwaves, simply because it absorbs it. But i think most of that heat goes into the medium in the end. If i do find tha it dosent heat up well or something i can always put everything in a glass bowl, nuke, then spread into the pans. I guess this would make more sence so i can mix and layer the spawn for faster gorwth, rather then just spread it on top as i originaly planed.

Offlineask
apprentice
Loc: a special place
    #2263612 - 01/22/04 08:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Gr0wer said:
I just took an alluminum pan and put some water at the botttom and nuked it for a min. The water and pan came out hot. No explosions or anything.

it will not explode,but if you keep doing it,you will need a new microwave soon.

--------------------
without the bitter,the sweet is not as sweet.

wanting is good,actually it might be better than having-

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2263653 - 01/22/04 08:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

From http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/microwaveQA.html

Except for certain recommended procedures that involve the use of metal or foil as outlined in the use and care manual, use of metal utensils in microwave ovens should be avoided. Why? For the following reasons:

Metal utensils do not allow complete penetration of the food by the microwaves, so cooking efficiency is greatly reduced.
If the cooking load is not large enough to absorb the microwave energy, the oven could be damaged by an arc between the metal utensils and the cavity interior or door assembly.
The life of the magnetron tube can be shortened by extended periods of back-feeding R. F. energy, which raises the magnetron tube's filament temperature.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: ask]
    #2263702 - 01/22/04 09:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the info anno! I guess ill do it in a bowl then.

What do you think about the lighting? A 18w 2' floro 9" from bulb to vermiculite. Is this too much or ok?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2264175 - 01/22/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"What do you think about the lighting? A 18w 2' floro 9" from bulb to vermiculite. Is this too much or ok? "

what the hell does from bulb to vermiculite mean?

i dont know but i can tell you that you really dont need to add light unless the place you are working in is completely dark. even a small amount of light will work.

But the big question is how old are you?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: ZippoZ]
    #2264289 - 01/22/04 11:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The distance from the bulb to the top of the casing, wich will be a verm/coco mix. Im 18, why?

Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: theshiftingwalls]
    #2264539 - 01/23/04 02:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

dont u watch myth busters?!

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: amyloid]
    #2286838 - 01/30/04 12:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The out of 4 jars of Sunflower WBS one is colonizing fast and is about 25% done, another one is starting to show with 2 small patches, no response from the other 2. One is too dry from over microwaving and the other one i put some rabbit food in and i think it might have a chemical on it.

The manure i have wet down with hot water in a bag for some composting. I mixed in about a tablespoon of bone meal. I think bone meal might have calcium being from boes and all? Otherwise i cant see it doing any harm being organicly rich. I also have had a one gallon ziplok filled with compost that ive kept inside, warm over my heater and moist so composting continues, for about 2 months. (was for a micro MJ grow)
I will be mixing some of this into the manure along with the verm and coir.

I decided not to gow with the trays in the box and just do a 2 container, one big and one small, bulk neglect style grow.

Hopefully if the best jar keeps up this colonization speed, i should be spawning by next weekend. I will start pics before spawning. I didnt think you guys would be too interested in the jars.

Edited by Gr0wer (01/30/04 12:59 PM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #2295293 - 02/02/04 09:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Jars going good, no contams and it turns out there all colonizing. I put a water heater in a covered container of water in the foam cooler. It's set so it keeps the temps around 81-84.

I mixed the substrate so its ready when i need it. The final mix was 2 parts rabbit manure, 1 part coir and 1 part verm, so its 50/25/25 (Man/Verm/Coco). This mix feels perfect, light, moist, and airy. I plan to get at least 2 big flushes off this, hopefully 3.

I hydrated the coir and verm with 25% coffee in water. I also have that load of spent coffee grinds in there. As an experiment, I mixed in 2 cups of bone meal hydrated with 50% coffee.

So I either have the ultimate super substrate or a pile of crap.... :laugh: I guess we will have to see... Im going to start a new thread once I get started and start taking some pics...im just waiting on the jars. dam it gets boring at least with weed you get growth, just no buds, seeing fuzzy white for two weeks isn't that cool looking or entertaining. I wana touch it can i??? can I???? please??? :laugh:

Edited by Gr0wer (02/02/04 10:02 PM)

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2296509 - 02/03/04 07:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Rabbits are the most useful urban pet for a shroomer (if your in the country a pony or cow might be better)

If you use good quality straw as the bedding material you get a never ending supply of substrate that shroom love like nothing ive ever seen. 2 rabbits create enough 'waste' to keep you thoroughly stocked  and then some
Ha some enterprising fellow might consider the benefits of a 2 tiered system raising meat rabbits and growing shrooms on the waste
would be exceptionally financially sound i imagine :smile: where legal of course

Bulk neglect tek - thanks to mycofile

The growth was explosive the shroom definitely loved it more than horse or cow shit. I imagine tha the quality of rabbit feed has a pronounced effect (Lucerne hay and good quality ingredients in the pellets)
The colonisation was very fast and so tenacious i had to tear it away from the side of the container - seriously never seen anything like it. Potency was excellent

I imagine guinea pigs would be similar if not identical
look forward to pictures

Edited by Mycena (02/03/04 07:45 AM)

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: rabbit manure grow [Re: Mycena]
    #2297970 - 02/03/04 05:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That idea has been done with the rabbits. Some guys online has a rabbit farm, They now collet the manure and mix it with rice hulls bone meal blood meal, wormcasting, greensand ect. It has to be some of the best commercial soil mix iver ever heard of. Any pics or your grow? What was your substrate and casing mixes?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology