Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
New idea for substrate
    #2260674 - 01/21/04 07:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

This experiment goes out to starter for inspiring me with his growool log. It seems to me that we all want a substrate that can be shaken, is full of nutrients, will not break down in a pc, and allow the mycelium to penetrate and take over the majority of the substrate (i think a partial reason to the inefficiency of starter's experiment might have to do with the amount of space the growool takes up, as well as the difficulty the mycelium probably has in breaching the material... i am guessing this is why vermiculite gives the better results).
I have an abundance of hulled millet. The only problem with this material is that PCing it often leads to a big clump at the bottom. The quart jars i have prepared actually have great shakability, and the grains are not all stuck together like i thought before cooking. However, there is a layer of cooked grain on the bottom that is about 1/4 inch thick. So here is the solution I use, and it works pretty damn well...

1)load up jars with HUlLED millet.
2)fill it up with water and let it sit for 24hours
3)drain the water out, no need to let it drain for 30min.. just get the water as much as you can (no need to empty into colander and all that jazz..)
4)throw in a knifetip full of gypsum
5)slap the prepared lid on (prepared with polyfill or filters)
6)place layer of aluminum foil on the entire jar (very important)
7)place the jars in the pressure cooker UPSIDE-DOWN
8)pc at 15psi for 75 minutes
9)remove jars once the pressure is gone (jars should still be a little hot) and shake those bad boys.

shakable millet grain with no hulls. benefit: more nutrients, faster colonization. The upside-down pressure cooking also forms a layer of millet on the top of the jar similar to the layer of vermiculite in PF-style jars. this layer serves the same purpose, helping to seal contaminates into the jar. Once the jars are cool, innoculate as usual, and watch them grow fast!

pressure cooked hulled millet upside down in order to form a cooked layer of millet on the top of the jar. benefit of shakable hulled millet is the lack of non-nutritous hulls which results in faster colonization (mycelium doesnt need to breach the hull), and more accessible food to mycelium.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: New idea for substrate [Re: 20cent]
    #2260706 - 01/21/04 07:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i happen to have some hulled millet that really is pissing me off. im going to pc up some using your tek sometime this week.... ill post my results.

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Male User Gallery

Re: New idea for substrate [Re: 20cent]
    #2260767 - 01/21/04 08:35 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nice work 20cent! If i had a pc I'd be all over that!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation