Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Potato Dextrose

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Peace in hopelessness
    #2260491 - 01/21/04 06:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've been playing with this animal lately, and it seems to hold true for me..

The more expectations of happiness I have, the more I hope and want things to present themselves in certain ways, the more I am let down and left with a feeling like someone just played a trick on me... Like I was looking through a happy man's eyes for a moment.

Then when I just accept that I am not happy, not content... it's like this other part of me opens up and I'm in this world where I'm not bound to anything, yet anything can happen. Morality and other such headgames are washed away and I'm left with some sort of down-to-earth way of being, and I stop caring about 90% of the shit I worried about all day. I start thinking I want to work harder and believe less. I start focusing on not remembering.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: Peace in hopelessness [Re: Grav]
    #2261252 - 01/21/04 11:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

sounds like you stumbled on zen man
lucky bastard

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2262341 - 01/22/04 10:54 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, what is "happiness"??? I don't think I walk around "happy". I may be content, or be in a good mood. What brings happiness? Joy? I think if you were "happy" all the time, something would be wrong.

I'm content. I have a positive outlook. I'm happy at times. But I'm not generally "happy".

I tell my kids that life is not full of "happiness". There's a lot of crap, and a lot of bad stuff happens, and there are mean people out there. So when a happy event comes along, make the most of it and really savor it, because it makes up for all the bad.

happiness

\Hap"pi*ness\, n. [From Happy.] 1. Good luck; good fortune; prosperity.

All happiness bechance to thee in Milan! --Shak.

2. An agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune or propitious happening of any kind; the possession of those circumstances or that state of being which is attended enjoyment; the state of being happy; contentment; joyful satisfaction; felicity; blessedness.

3. Fortuitous elegance; unstudied grace; -- used especially of language.

Some beauties yet no precepts can declare, For there's a happiness, as well as care. --Pope.

Syn: Happiness, Felicity, Blessedness, Bliss.

Usage: Happiness is generic, and is applied to almost every kind of enjoyment except that of the animal appetites; felicity is a more formal word, and is used more sparingly in the same general sense, but with elevated associations; blessedness is applied to the most refined enjoyment arising from the purest social, benevolent, and religious affections; bliss denotes still more exalted delight, and is applied more appropriately to the joy anticipated in heaven.

O happiness! our being's end and aim! --Pope.

Others in virtue place felicity, But virtue joined with riches and long life; In corporal pleasures he, and careless ease. --Milton.

His overthrow heaped happiness upon him; For then, and not till then, he felt himself, And found the blessedness of being little. --Shak.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: Peace in hopelessness [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2262491 - 01/22/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PHARMAKOS said:
sounds like you stumbled on zen man
lucky bastard

Yep, sounds like he did.  I had a similar realization about 18 mos. ago where I let go of expectations and judgments and just let things be what they are.  Everything changed in that moment and now I'm able to sit back and marvel at how interesting life is.

I also just went through the same thing at work this week.  My boss made it clear to me that playing the stupid little games is more important than getting any work done, so I stopped stressing over my workload.  I'm much happier now that I don't care...unproductive as hell, but no worries.  :stoned:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2262930 - 01/22/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I know the feeling all too well. You speak of an insidious beast. My second semester of Engineering School found me practicing zen. About halfway through, I really stopped caring. My attitude worked very well for about two months, but I failed a class and my GPA dropped to 2.0 even. I was put on Academic probation, and I decided not to continue my studies.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlineshroom_muncher
ex-dope fiend

Loc: The great white north
Re: Peace in hopelessness [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2269284 - 01/24/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think the reason our society is going to shit is because the media makes everyone think that the only way you can be happy is to have lots of money and lots of power. We have T.V. shows where they follow around celebrities with million dollar houses and million dollar cars and we start to believe that we'll be truly happy if we can get all this material bullshit. And of course most people will never ever achieve anything close to the shit they show you on T.V. and magazines so people start to feel like losers and failures. I envy my dog and most animals cause their purposes in life are so simple and people who live in rural areas and lead simple lives and tribes out in Africa where western civilization still hasn't corrupted them. I hate north America.

--------------------
peace sells but whos buyin?

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: Constitutional Happiness [Re: Frog]
    #2269328 - 01/24/04 10:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The state of Happiness could be defined as the result of a curious nature,
in that the condition of happiness is unattainable without the freedom to Pursue and satisfy curiosity.

Ideals can be limiting thru the repression of curiosity
which results in a static condition dependent on conformation...

Unhappiness can then be associated with the suppression of natural talent.

Progress, in my opinion, depends on the freedom to satisfy curiosity.

---------------------------------------------------

It is in testing our defenses that weaknesses are uncovered
and we can spend billions hiring consultants to do the job...

or we can profit from the boundless energy generated by curiosity.

Talents and abilities arrived at by the excercise of curiosity are valuable commodities to the community in that knowledge is passed on from generation to generation, and the pitfalls and hardships experienced by our ancestors no longer plague us...due to the nature of curiosity.

---------------------------------------------------

Some people may delight in stealing from a begger
or seperating an invalid from communication with their family,
but community consciousness frowns on such dealings, and if there is such a thing as Justice then we can expect some sort of recompense for our actions.

Personally I subscribe to the axiom " Do what thou will, but do no harm" and I try to stay within those guidelines so that come what may my conscience remains clear. Of course I have trouble seeing the Big-Picture from my small vantage but I rely on my friends and experience to help me find the way.

--------------------------------------------------

In conclusion I suspect we are surrounded by Angels intent on their own buisiness in this cyber world of ours, and I feel comfortable with that fact, safe in the knowledge that their actions result in a safer world not only for me but for everyone who shares in the wonderful world of Freedom.

Not everybody will share this sentiment,
and I suppose there is a place for them in Creation too:)

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: Constitutional Happiness [Re: castaway]
    #2269340 - 01/24/04 10:28 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

a spontanious composition I wrote elsewhere of which I'm quite proud and thought I'd bandy about

ahem...scuse me

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: The sequel [Re: castaway]
    #2269356 - 01/24/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

(it's not vanity; I just like to see my stuff in print :smile:

" It is my grievious duty to inform you
Of my retirement from the Free-internet society.

The person who's connection I use has judged our relationship a liability to his continued enjoyment of the service he has paid for.

I'm going with msn.tv I think (formerly web.tv) because I can start up for $100 and use my Big-Screen tv...I'm telling you...the internet looks more comfortable every-day.

So I guess you internet Jocks out there can pat yourselves on the back and say "hey we got rid of another competitor and we've got the field to ourselves..."

Well ask any kid in the stands if spiking gas-cans and puncturing tires is what they came to see..And overwhelmingly the answer will be 'No' in my opinion..They came to see the Race__

So Go ahead and Pat your backs over under-handed elimination..But you can be sure the Action will be elswhere...amongst people who want to Race.

So where do you think the crowd's are gonna go?"

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2269366 - 01/24/04 10:36 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'll keep you updated on my progress LOL

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2269550 - 01/24/04 11:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Pretty cool, castaway...

Quote:

Personally I subscribe to the axiom " Do what thou will, but do no harm" and I try to stay within those guidelines so that come what may my conscience remains clear. Of course I have trouble seeing the Big-Picture from my small vantage but I rely on my friends and experience to help me find the way.

In essense, that is the Golden Rule.  Treat others the way you would want to be treated.  I try to do the right thing because a) I like to be able to sleep at night, and b) I believe in Karma.

I know these 2 things "may" be unrelated, but about 2 weeks ago, I was "not at Starbucks" and I found $10 on the sidewalk outside the store. 

Of course, my first thought was, "No one is going to claim it.  Just keep it."  And, "If I turn it in, an employee will just pocket it, so just keep it." 

But, bottom line, it wasn't mine, and I wouldn't have felt comfortable keeping it.  So I went inside and got in line to turn it in, but the line was long.  I looked around and saw an employee helping some guy with the coffee makers.

I went to give it to her, and the guy she was helping said, "Oh, that's mine!"  He wanted to do something for me, buy me a cup of coffee, whatever, but I said no, come on, it's just $10, and when he kept going on, I said, "Do you believe in karma?"  He nodded, and then just shook my hand and that was it.

Last night, I was "not at Starbucks" and when I left, I had left my combo cell phone/PDA on the chair where I had been sitting.  It was expensive. 

I went in this morning, and someone had turned it in.

:grin:

Quote:

In conclusion I suspect we are surrounded by Angels intent on their own buisiness in this cyber world of ours, and I feel comfortable with that fact, safe in the knowledge that their actions result in a safer world not only for me but for everyone who shares in the wonderful world of Freedom.

I believe in angels!  Or spirits!  Or whatever you want to call them!

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Potato Dextrose

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology