Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoneen
shroomy newbie
Loc: Coquitlam, BC
Hunting in bc?
    #2257877 - 01/20/04 09:40 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I've been reading alot about mushroom hunting and am very enthused to start myself. I've picked up a few field guides from my library and im ready to go...but i cant seem to find any mushrooms around. I just wanted to know are there still mushrooms growing right now? alot of the specimens ive looked at on MJ's site say its not their season, what are in season now? thanks for your time

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting in bc? [Re: moneen]
    #2258378 - 01/20/04 11:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

this is the sort of question to be answered with a search engine.

the short answer to your question is no. there are no british columbia actives in season right now.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Hunting in bc? [Re: canid]
    #2258602 - 01/21/04 12:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well blue ringers are know to grow throughout the whole year at times if the weather conditions are right or if a lawn has an authomatic sprinkler system to irrigate the sod and fertilizers in the topsoil. Then you might find soem spring stutzii's or ever P. fimetaria in a lawn and also Panaeolus subbaltetus is due any moment in thespring season as well as Concoycbe cyanopus and C. smithii, both spring mushrooms.

mj

Offlinemoneen
shroomy newbie
Loc: Coquitlam, BC
    #2259185 - 01/21/04 08:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

actually im not only looking for actives...and i have looked in the search engine already

Thanks for your help MJ

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting in bc? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2259555 - 01/21/04 11:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

first of all, MJ: it is not spring, it is still winter. unless seasons are somehow tht different up north where i grew up, the last freeze is not yet past, nor is it likely to be for a while to come.

i am aware of the nice spring boutny for those lucky enough to live up there but it is not time yet.

now, moneen: to a lesser extent, it is not the best season for edibles in your climate's winter; however, you may still find somethings.

if you plan to make the consumption of edible mushrooms from the wild a hobby/lifestyle/whathaveyou you will need to do more than merely familiarize yourself with the most common species [athough this is a great place to start].

can you give me any insght on your level of comprehension of the identification proccess?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2259870 - 01/21/04 01:07 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Concrete Feet,

While it still is literally winter, it is considered Winter/Spring

And I have picked Panaeolus subbalteatus in fertilized top soil here in Seattle in the U-District in the first two weeks of January. Feb-May is their offical season for haystacks.

Over a thirty year period in the PNW,, I have found at least 12-15 collections of P. subbalteatus in Jan-Feb months in the city, in soil.

Here is one such image from the University district in Seattle growing in soil with no visible manure (Yes every spring you can find a few on campus if one looks or in new buiildings with new gardens. So the spores came in with the fertilizers in the newly laid topsoil.

mj

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting in bc? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2259904 - 01/21/04 01:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yes MJ i know they can grow in the winter during years of unusualy mild weather but this is still not he norm. i did not mean to say that he wouldn not posibly be able t find any; i do mean that it is unlikely.

if he is not seeing/noticing virtualy any mushrooms at all at this time, i am inclined to believe he is having a typical winter, in which he is unikely to be finding any actives and even many of the typical early spring edibles just yet. not meaning to bump heads :smile:.

moneen: do not let this disourage you from looking. any mushroom at al that you can familiarize yourself with, and especialy any that you can learn to identify are going to do wonders for your identification skills and your familiarity with your localy occring species.

good luck.

--------------------

Offlineblind_guardian
shroom-head
Loc: Vernon, BC
Re: Hunting in bc? [Re: moneen]
    #2260715 - 01/21/04 06:03 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The warmer areas of the okanagan have lots of mushrooms growing about.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Hunting in bc? [Re: blind_guardian]
    #2286281 - 01/30/04 03:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If you mean right now blind_guardian... uhh.... isn't it a whole lot colder in the Okanagan than on the Coast at the time of year? I grew up in the Okanagan and I seem to remember a lot of snow. In season, yeah, but now? That seems even less likely than finding them on the coast.

Speaking of the coast, it's been fairly mild lately, except for a cold snap a couple days ago. It *was* mild for awhile though and is again, mild enough that I noticed a couple of deciduous bushes budding. I havn't seen any mushrooms out, or any variety, but then again I havn't been looking. I'm thinking I'll start looking around march/april and learn to identify properly so that i can get a good few months in before its too cold again. I'd prefer to go hunting with someone who knows exactly what they're looking for though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract