Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleeasyskunkin

Jars explosions in pressure cooker...
    #2259227 - 01/21/04 09:07 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Hello, I am a beginner cultivator with a problem : nearly all the jars I try to sterilize in my pressure cooker get cracks or explode, even thought I take care to heat and cool down slowly and put a cloth under the jars (some canning jars that can be sterilized theoretically) : can someone tell me if there is something I can do ??? thanks for your help,Pedro
PS : I use a standard eleven liters pressure cooker without a manometer, couldn't find the type with manometer where I live...

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.
Voltaire ; Remarques sur les pensées de Pascal (1728)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: easyskunkin]
    #2259239 - 01/21/04 09:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The problem is worse in winter (and I guess you're in the Northern Hemisphere), all that cold glass and cold wet grain.

Get a 10lt stock pot and put the jars in that, fill to 3/4 full with cold tap water and bring to a near boil. Let it simmer for 30 minutes, then load to the PC. That's worked for me. It heats it all up so there's less chance of thermal shock as the PC clocks to 15psi (121C)

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineMax1
Maxamil
Male

#2259249 - 01/21/04 09:20 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

All you have do is put your jars in your PC and leave the lid to the PC off till it starts to boil then put the lid on. never add cold jars to boiling water. They shouldnt crack...If they still do, get better jars. No need to use 2 diffent pots. And DONT seal the jars tight while pcing...they need to breath in and out till after they are done and cooled...

Max

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2259255 - 01/21/04 09:22 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Did you leave the lids slightly loose ? If to tight the pressure in them will build up enough to crack them . Also what type of jars are you using ? Mason /canning jars are the best for this . Also make sure jars cant bang around against one another during the process , this can sometimes cause craking of jars .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: Max1]
    #2259257 - 01/21/04 09:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If only I could get mason jars in Oz *sigh*

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: Starter]
    #2259265 - 01/21/04 09:27 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

They can be found on line , cost a little more due to shipping costs , but if that is what you gotts do ........... DO IT !
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinetoikey
novice
Loc: Perth, Australia
    #2259268 - 01/21/04 09:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

offtopic but: can we not get mason jars in oz? i couldnt find and was using glasses... just thought it was my zone

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #2259272 - 01/21/04 09:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My friend had the same problem one winter... her jars would crack and break...

She was setting her jars on a cold, stainless steel counter (that didn't help)

Do what Max1 said.... make sure you warm up your jars and when you pull them out of the PC, set them on a place that is somewhat warm.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: toikey]
    #2259285 - 01/21/04 09:33 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I find it hard to believe that folks do not do home canning in "OZ" , ask at your local markets where one could find proper canning jars , ask around at some co-ops , ask folks who have nice veggie gardens if they can any of their stuff , and where they get the supplies at .

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: tripndicular]
    #2259321 - 01/21/04 09:53 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

...sorta off topic lol.

tripndicular, the reason why home canning isn't that popular in Australia is because the continent covers every climate there is, so fresh produce is always available -- on a massive range of produce. The north never gets a "winter".

For what it's worth, I use Fowler glassware (as that's all I can get), they're used for canning, rubber O rings needed and have steel springs on the lids. But I have to take care, i.e. heat up the glassware in the winter prior the PC'ing. Why? Hell, just shoddy glass I suspect.

Lana, yeah I've also found it better to put hot jars out on top of folded tea towels, putting them on a cold stainless steel sink in mid-winter ain't the go.

Toiking, I haven't found shoulderless jars at all i.e the Kerr or Ball mason jars that I hear a lot about on the shroomery -- so PF cakes have been the ol'drinking glasses with foil tops.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: tripndicular]
    #2259338 - 01/21/04 10:03 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

allmost all jars are the same....they are soda lime glass... Wouldnt matter if it were a proper canning jar or not, it's the same material.

Easyskunkin...theres alot of bariables that could lead to the jars breaking, one if you can, let them cool in the PC until it's cool to touch...also, make sure the lid for the jars are not on tight or there is some way of venting the jars...if you still have that problem PM me...I'll give yo a hand

Offlinetat2edboy
low flyin plane
Loc: under the radar
    #2303003 - 02/04/04 10:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE ENOUGH WATER IN YOUR PC. I HAVE FOUND THAT LACK OF WATER CAUSES CRACKING MORE OFTEN

--------------------
Regret is a waste of time

OfflineKnobleJunga
journeyman
    #2303189 - 02/04/04 11:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Starter said:
If only I could get mason jars in Oz *sigh*

Where exactly is OZ? Kansas? Australia? Also, as far as the online thing goes, I was able to get 1/2 pint wide mouth Kerr jars off Amazon.com (I think they were from TrueValue hardware, but via the Amazon site). It was less than $8 for 12 jars, but shipping was close to that again. If you're going to do it, get a friend to go in with you and get more jars (a few dozen), as shipping costs go down proportionately this way.

WHere is Oz? :wtf:

--------------------
This is a great community. Thanks for all your help, you are accruing merit!

Invisibletrollbaby
slackster

Loc: State of Delusion
Re: Jars explosions in pressure cooker... [Re: KnobleJunga]
    #2305465 - 02/05/04 02:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

its some where over the rainbow... I found someone on ebay that is selling 44 oz never used peanut jars $3 for 6 + shipping. i think these are going to be perfect for my first attempt at mexicana! :biggrin:

--------------------
hope i never hear surf music again...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals