Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

mysticism, ego, false conciousness....
    #2259056 - 01/21/04 08:16 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"Many believe that mysticism "dissolves the ego." Rubbish. Only death does that ... Nor does mysticism destroy the "carnal" or "animal" self--which would also amount to suicide. What mysticism really tries to surmount is false consciousness, illusion, Consensus Reality, & all the failures of self that accompany these ills. True mysticism creates a "self at peace," a self with power. The highest task of metaphysics ... is in a sense to self-destruct, to identify metaphysical & physical, transcendent & immanent, as ONE." Hakim Bey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: mysticism, ego, false conciousness.... [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2259057 - 01/21/04 08:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

> Only death does that ...

... and you know this, how?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: mysticism, ego, false conciousness.... [Re: Seuss]
    #2259075 - 01/21/04 08:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I suppose it can't be known as fact but think of it this way: in life you may experience moments of ego dissolution but the ego always reforms, perhaps in a healther way but you still remain within the experience of being an individual. It's fair to suggest that death is quite possibly the only complete dissolution from ego, from being an individual. I think the key to this quote I've posted is the end of it:

"The highest task of metaphysics ... is in a sense to self-destruct, to identify metaphysical & physical, transcendent & immanent, as ONE."

Death is somewhat irrelevant to the point of the quote. He was simply driving in the point that the ego is and always will be a part of a living individual, and to stop attempting to destroy it but rather integrate the transcendant and the immanent.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
    #2259774 - 01/21/04 02:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nice. I particularly like the Hakim Bey quote in your signature.
In fact, you get 5 mushrooms for that.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

InvisibleKeyannki
    #2260639 - 01/21/04 07:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

dissolution of the ego generally hints at past lives. whether it applies to dissolving all positive or negative aspects of such is dependent on further exposition.

it still is accurate nonetheless.

Destruction? Yes, it does. pimp the google for Kundalini.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2260802 - 01/21/04 08:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

false consciousness....as opposed to true consciousness?

now that was me trying to misconstrue the statement, but I also think it bring up a valid point.

I think it would be helpful to identify with a couple of forms of consciousness that lead us to being over-emotional, as opposed to those that keep you somewhat grounded :smile:

to me the one I identify with the most is operating from the perspective of power. what is the power struggle?  one would have to ask themselves questions as self evaluate.  when you have money, is it really so you can dictate over those.  prestige, because the more prestige you have the more you can manipulate others?  or what about internal status symbols??  like knowledge and lots of different hobbies so others view you as "interesting" there's even subtle ways. a person who is loud maybe trying to control, but so is the quiet one sometimes.  the kind of "acceptance" or "you are always know best" attitude.  this type of manipulation makes a person use energy into extracting what someone else really wants.  it's a game really.

I agree not to kill the ego, but rahter it's a tool to be used so you can see what you need to get done. what causes you unhappiness and so on.  just some thoughts :smile:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology