Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Should science and spirituality be dealt with seperately?
    #2257560 - 01/20/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This may have been covered before, but I will give my opinions on the topic.

Science is based on measurement, and validation. The which is proven is done so through the scientific process, and becomes either false, theory, or true.

Even theories - which can't be proven - are based on logical reasoning regarding evidence and knowledge.

Science has many uses, and has helped humans become more comfortable in a troubled world, and has made living conditions extremely easier and less dangerous.

Spirituality is based on experience, reality beyond what we can perceive from our normal senses, and intuition.

But since none of this can be validated by science, does it make it any less efficient?

I think until our minds are on a high enough consciousness to be able to integrate the two correctly - humanity should keep them seperate.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: Should science and spirituality be dealt with seperately? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2257574 - 01/20/04 10:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think they shouldn't be totally seperate. There should be overlapping. Granted some things about spirituality cannot be understood by science, but i dont think they should be put in two seperated categories.

But science in a way is the word of God (or universe or energy force or whatever). It's all the laws of the universe, how this place functions. The way it all works together is INCREDIBLY complex and beautiful.

Just my thoughts

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2257648 - 01/20/04 10:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

We compartmentalize things in our minds. It's a nice strategy for trying to come to grips with things, breaking stuff down into easily 'digestible' chunks. If spirituality is to bring meaning to our existence, it cannot neglect the totality of existence. To me spirituality is about being, existence. Why can't a person experience a sense of awe, a sense of spirituality even in relishing the fruits of science? To put it another way, spirituality addresses the whole, science is part of that whole, even though our attention may be focused on a part (science) we are still engaged in experiencing the whole.

But then, I may just be full of shit.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2259005 - 01/21/04 07:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

No, I think that Science and Spirituality have a need to be integrated into a larger whole. It has become obvious to me that the reductionist approach of Science cannot explain all of existence (specifically, aspects of Human existence)...nor can Spirituality explain materialism to any degree I am comfortable with.

It is probably best to look at both the parts and the whole - without the parts we have no real way of understanding underlying Order and workings, without the whole we have no way of understanding Meaning and Purpose.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Should science and spirituality be dealt with seperately? [Re: trendal]
    #2259029 - 01/21/04 07:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Nicely put Trendal. I couldn't have said it better.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology